Canoe Wales..Not responding to my enquiries

Inland paddling
kayak1

Canoe Wales..Not responding to my enquiries

Post by kayak1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Anyone else having problems in getting a reply from Canoe Wales.. I have left answerphone messages and email with no response over the past few weeks...So perhaps someone that knows... may answer my question..Quite simple really!

Does the a club affiliated membership allow me to use Canals and waterways or do I have to join directly to obtain a licence, If a club membership is enough, what do I use to show that I have permission to use the waterways if no Club membership cards are available...

DaveB

Re: Canoe Wales..Not responding to my enquiries

Post by DaveB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Membership of an affiliated club does not give you any licence to paddle canals or rivers needing licences. You have to be an individual member of CE/WCA/SCA/CANI to get the licence. Mind you in my experience you will only be asked for the licence on a canal if you are using a lock system.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for that...its just something I may need as I intend to do some flat water Kayak and Camp in the new year..Thanks

mudlark

Post by mudlark » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Have you tried phoning mid morning? I've generally managed to get through then.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Usually call Friday early afternoon..But they could reply to my answerphone message or email message couldn't they!!

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:15 pm

If Canoe Wales operates the same system as Canoe England, clubs have a number of licences (CE is 3 inclusive in affiliation fee plus extras at additional cost). You might be able to use one of these, if surplus to requirements to licence club boats?
Dave Thomas

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for the information..Just hope I can get a definitive and conclusive response from the horses mouth..if they ever use this forum...I wonder how well the response will be when I mention Membership Fee coming your way..

chris241

Post by chris241 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 pm

I think Val used to be in the office on Monday and Thursdays. I think 10 til 4 ish. But my memory might be wrong.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:36 pm

CW had 1 part time worker 3 days a week I thought ( Val?) so that's probably why you haven't had your answer or struggled to get in contact

As much as I hate to say it you could always try the BCU head office for your definitive answer since that's who will have laid down the law anyway on what is what
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:20 pm

They could reply to my answerphone message or email message couldn't they!

But I will try The BCU Thanks

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Quite an amusing situation considering their publicly released accounts from a year or so back showed £18k or so being spent on telephone costs!

flipt

Post by flipt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:24 pm

simon it was 24k from memory! (on 16 staff?)

But anyway in answer to the first question - check with your club treasurer as to what affiliation you have. When i sorted the birmingham uni lot i added more licences as members use the canal. I think we now have 10 which means we can have any 10 boats on the canal at any time. It would seem likely that if your club has some passes then its unlikely that you would have issue - but check with them as they have the paperwork (i am not excusing that CW have no one to answer calls but its possible with the centre shut this week as no water that they are on skeleton staffing?)
Gradientfood.com - a sandwich bar in Llangollen.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”