My first New Boat topic in ages!

Inland paddling
banzer

My first New Boat topic in ages!

Post by banzer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:11 am

So my much loved Riot Magnum (smaller one) finally has two splits after one too many steep Scottish ditches this last week. It's done very well. Since having it there have been about a zillion new boats and manufacturers out there. Most of which are about a zillion feet long and apparently designed for extreme races. I don't do races! And I like to carry my boat up hills so it has to be reasonably light! I like them to be very manoeverable. And good at taking abuse. The one thing I'd like to change over the Magnum, less tail-squirty in stoppers, so probably a little more volume towards the rear.

1) Can you still get Magnums? I was thinking no...?
2) I am just over 6 foot and 12 and a bit stone. I don't want anything in the Director / Jefe Grande range - too big - unless anyone can give me a particularly good reason why
3) Anyone any experience of the Exo boats? How about this new Spade boat, is that going to be lighter?
4) I don't want a Burn because every one I've seen has a dent in it.

Suggestions on a postcard please...
Thanks, Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

tomcrow99

Re: My first New Boat topic in ages!

Post by tomcrow99 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:06 am

Raptor.
For your size and weight it will be perfect, also hard as nails and light.
I paddled a Salto for a bout 7 years then went to a Grande but I felt like the boat was always a bit out of control due to the size. The Raptor felt fast, sharp and dynamic in comparison. Very similar to a Salto in many respects but improves and pretty much all the negatives, turns better, resurfaces better and boofs better. I love mine.

banzer

Post by banzer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks Tom... the Raptor has been high on the 'watch list' ever since it came out. Will definitely try one out.
Any others?
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I 100% hear what you are saying.
From what I read on here you like it steep.
A Stomper 90 sounds perfect.
Not fast but very easy to flick around and change angles last minute, best boofing boat ever made. Tougher than the Jefe's that used to break. Feels short but isn't.
Not too heavy. Strip a bit of weight out by losing the towel on the seat and remove the footrest, then custom foam your own.
dave

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Apparently you can still get Riot boats from www.kayakingkit.com in the UK

Dodgy Dave

Post by Dodgy Dave » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:43 pm

A lot of people love the raptor and it is light... ive had a go and the performance is good but i just couldn't get comfortable.

Im back in a M burn at the mo and loving it. Light , turns/boofs well .....before you ask, it does have a dent in the nose...!

Lettman granate is light, also the spade looks like it could be light but they are only making the large at the moment.

Wakka just announced the little version of the tuna too......

Id try the raptor and granate...?

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Banzer,

No one has suggested the Nomad yet, hard to beat and comes in two sizes. The 8.1 is very manoeuvrable and you fall within its weight range but don't discount the 8.5, try them both so you can contrast and compare against each other and the other boats you demo. You can strip out some of the outfitting to lighten the boat up, that's what I did with my 8.5.

Demo, demo, demo...

Peter

NicM

Post by NicM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Having finally sold up my Magnum this year after getting fed up with it's tail happy ways, perhaps I was a little chunky for it, I can recommend the Recon. Handling wise it's superb, not quite as sharp handling as the Magnum was but more confidence inspiring. As for the weight I reckon the Recon feels lighter on the shoulder than the Magnum, even after walking up to the likes of the Tilt.

The other boats I would have considered would be the Raptor, or the Nomad after the Recon. In the end for me it came down to price and availability for demo's, that and I was over the limit of the Nomad.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Aw, come on... "Recon" is short for "Reconstituted Concrete".
dave

nick 16

Post by nick 16 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:31 pm

The lettmanns are really light, my granate xl is really light even compared to smaller boats and they do a medium and a large size so if you wanted to get something closer size to your old boat, the medium would be pretty comparible. The hull plastic seems to be coping well with my 17 stone of heftyness after plenty of boating since i got it in june (no oil canning at all) and the outfitting works well but it's simple and robust. plus its a round hull and landings in it are real soft so its great for steep stuff.

Seriously give one a try I know they are race boats but they boof really well, are very manoeuvrable and carry their speed through holes really well. I cant wait to take mine to scotland.
Nicholas Ball

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Recon's are going to be hard to find now that Royalex is no more, a bit long too - you'd be better off with a L'edge (might be a new one in the country still) or an Option (need to import it yourself) if you are looking for an OC1 creek boat.... :-)

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:24 am

I don't think the Bliss Stick Mystic is a million miles away in terms of hull design to the Riot Magnum, so perhaps have a look at one of those, or failing that the Wakka Tuna, ( tuna being the bigger version) Actually Waka also do a smaller version of the tuna now as well, not sure how easy they are to get hold of, I know Bliss stick are hard, not tried the Waka brand
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:32 am

Definitely look at the Raptor (or the Veloc, which despite being called the small persons kayak is actually two gallons more than your small Magnum, and is the same size as a Habitat 74 or Bliss Stick Mystic). It's like a sporty Magnum, apparently, but a lot better.

I just bought a Veloc and I am most happy indeed.

Could also check out the new Ace of Spades from new company Spade Kayaks. Looks like they are now producing the hulls so can't be too long before the official release. The video they recently showed looks like it goes quite nicely. Blow moulded using the expertise of Eskimo, so bound to be hard as nails!

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Simon am i right in thinking you have gone from a Director to a Veloc? is so why?

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Ummm, no. I went from a Habitat to a Diesel to a Veloc.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:19 pm

James Hartley wrote:I don't think the Bliss Stick Mystic is a million miles away in terms of hull design to the Riot Magnum, so perhaps have a look at one of those, or failing that the Wakka Tuna, ( tuna being the bigger version) Actually Waka also do a smaller version of the tuna now as well, not sure how easy they are to get hold of, I know Bliss stick are hard, not tried the Waka brand
We have waka brand in UK. Sole importer.

Regards
Darren.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Is there a good comparison of boat weights available online anywhere?

Boats certainly seem to have got heavier over the past couple of years and it'd be interesting to see how they stack up, especially in an independent test. Any retailers out there test the boat weights from different suppliers?

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 pm

Don't think any independent lists are around. However I have been sad enough to place some boats on scales in the past. I found my Diesel to weigh pretty much what the Wave Sport site said it would. A friends Riot Magnum was also close to the official weight, and my Veloc is also as per the manufacturer description.

I had some slow days and this admission should be destroyed forthwith...

mh123

Post by mh123 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Jackson Karma, fast, tracks well but still manoeuvrable, pretty light. Worked well for a few of us in Scotland last week.

Demo a few is your best option.

Recons are so heavy! Not a light boat!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Karma's are not that manoverable, but are quite fast. Not the ideal UK ditch boat.
dave

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:34 pm

There you have it. Karma's are both very manoeuvrable, and also not very manoeuvrable at the same time. I think we can therefore deduce that the only way to find out is to demo one. Personally I found it to turn quickly.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Ah, but there's the rub. Someone of the calibre of Banzer doesn't have the time to go trying boats.
Listen, I know what he needs and it's a Stomper 90 and that's all there is to it.

(And yes, Karma's are manoeuvrable in bigger volume but not so much on the steeps.)
dave

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Depends a lot on the paddler too -- I'm pretty light and most of the creekboats I've borrowed do nothing but spin (at which I'll concede they are excellent).

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:46 am

Curve ball alert.....................

NANO !!!!

light - tick
maneuverable - tick (ridiculously so)
short - tick
weight/height - tick (i'm 6'2' and similar weight)
volume - tick (more than you think !)
solid - tick

also not as slow as you'd imagine and perfect for UK rivers.......................
Born to paddle................forced to work.

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Mike - I like your thinking - but I'd need the large Nano and that's 21 kgs..?

At the moment I'm thinking the Raptor for its tough hull, though perhaps the Lettman or Spade would be similar. Whatever it is I don't want too long so that's probably the Tuna / Waka out, even though I've had Bliss Sticks before and like the outfitting. And I like the look of the Exos, but they're pretty long too. Thanks for all the suggestions...
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:41 am

banzer wrote: Whatever it is I don't want too long so that's probably the Tuna / Waka out, even though I've had Bliss Sticks before and like the outfitting.

Wakka now do a mini version of the Tuna. Can't remember its name, think its the name of a waterfall on a river.
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

tambakosi

Post by tambakosi » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:10 pm

James Hartley wrote:
banzer wrote: Whatever it is I don't want too long so that's probably the Tuna / Waka out, even though I've had Bliss Sticks before and like the outfitting.

Wakka now do a mini version of the Tuna. Can't remember its name, think its the name of a waterfall on a river.
Tutea

Ross M

Post by Ross M » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:47 pm

HI Rich,

I have a magnum 80 if you are looking £320.
If not try a Zet.

Ross

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”