Charging for paddling High-Low, River Tees

Inland paddling
Big Henry

Charging for paddling High-Low, River Tees

Post by Big Henry » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:13 am

Since this may be an option for those going to the Tyne Tour I thought I'd bring this to your attention. Apparently the Raby Estate has decided to have a clamp down on charging paddlers to paddle down the High-Low section of the River Tees. It has been discussed on a Facebook page (you'll have to scroll down to find it posted on 24th/26th October to find it), and for those who don't have Facebook, this is what has been said so far (click on the image for a full size copy of the pic):
What are people's thoughts.

TechnoEngineer

Re: Charging for paddling High-Low, River Tees

Post by TechnoEngineer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 am

People are confusing "access" as being "floating on the river" versus "having to walk across someone's land to get to the river".

I guess you could use a helicopter to avoid having to walk across someone's land.....
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 am

TechnoEngineer wrote:People are confusing "access" as being "floating on the river" versus "having to walk across someone's land to get to the river".

I guess you could use a helicopter to avoid having to walk across someone's land.....
Nope, it's all public footpaths to, along and from the river on this section.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

The extent of the public footpaths is shown on the available maps:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=38 ... ce,+Durham+[Water+Feature]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

I think I am right in saying that, if you head from the hotel up towards High Force, you will be on a private path whereas if you head straight down towards the river, bearing left, you will be on a public footpath.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:The extent of the public footpaths is shown on the available maps:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=38 ... ce,+Durham+[Water+Feature]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

I think I am right in saying that, if you head from the hotel up towards High Force, you will be on a private path whereas if you head straight down towards the river, bearing left, you will be on a public footpath.
How wide are public footpaths? Am I remembering correctly that a group can walk side-by-side along said path legally, which led to an incident on the Kinder Mass Trespass where literally hundreds walked side-by-side just to make a point? This obviously leads to the question 'if a public footpath runs alongside a river, does the path actually touch the edge of the water boundary?' (And yes, I believe you are correct, Adrian, the path to High Force on the northern bank is private and is the reason people are charged to walk to see the waterfall.)

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:The extent of the public footpaths is shown on the available maps:

You're correct Adrian. If you want to walk on the private path up to high force you will also be expected to pay an additional £1.50.

The path to the left is a public footpath that leeds to the normal put in.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:You're correct Adrian. If you want to walk on the private path up to high force you will also be expected to pay an additional £1.50.
It's not strictly additional, as you can only pay the £1.50 if you aren't kayaking. They won't let you* carry your boat up that path and start from the plungepool of high force. Apparently they're worried you might try to run it. ha.

*Well, not last time I tried, but that was maybe 10 years ago!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Angut

Post by Angut » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:54 pm

If there is a public footpath that is a highway. The public have a right to carry their goods on a highway without charge. From a highway, there extends a verge to the first fence. The public have a right to use the verge of a highway to temporarily unload their goods, have a picnic, and generally walk about but not play any games which might interfere with ther users of a highway. Where the verge includes a river bank then you are not recieving any service when you launch a boat so any charge would be a toll through which can not be levied in a public place without the approval of Parliament. If there is no highway or verge then it would be reasonable to pay for access.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:50 am

Big Henry wrote:How wide are public footpaths?
This is a question I have considered locally to me when fields are ploughed up and a tractor traverses the field to 'reinstate' the path. This is a poor method of reinstatement and people often walk across the crops to provide a reasonable access. I haven't found any 'rules' on the subject so my view as to what is reasonable is what would people 'normally' use a path for. You are out walking, arm in arm with your wife, she might trip, so that makes sense. On each of your hands you have your two children, so four abreast seems to make sense. Not wanting to make too much impact, if you have four children you will need to walk three in front and three behind.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Tim wrote:

They won't let you carry your boat up that path and start from the plunge pool of high force. Apparently they're worried you might try to run it. ha.
The reason they don't like you doing it now is because they don't want the visitors (tourists) obstructed and are worried that when walking your boat to the plunge pool you might bump into them with your boat. Ran it from the plunge pool between Christmas and New Years 2013, the guy from the estate was quite relaxed about it as it was cold and there were no other visitors, only us. He opened the gate for us and did not ask for a fee to paddle. Approximately 0.8 on the gauge, lovely medium level.

Peter

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”