Paddling with a stoma

Inland paddling
Einstein

Paddling with a stoma

Post by Einstein »

Hi

I've recently had surgery to remove my large bowel and leave me with an ileostomy, I do a lot of whitewater kayaking and polo and was wondering if there is anyone around who paddles and has a stoma?

I realise that this is a long shot but I was hoping to find out how it affected your paddling. I know that people with stomas can still play sports such as rugby and there are people out there who climb and ski and one chap who even climbed everest, but not heard from any kayakers.

Anyone out there who can help?

Thanks
Richard

Adrian Cooper

Re: Paddling with a stoma

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Try a search, there was a chap on here a couple of years ago discussing this very issue. Sorry I just can't remember his name.

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder »

The thread comes up if you search for 'ostomy' and is relatively recent. Looks like two paddlers with similar problems.
Home / Community / Community Forums / Whitewater and Touring / Paddling ostomists. overcoming health issues.

RizzRat

Post by RizzRat »

Hi there

A young (ish - 17) lad I know has had numerous bowel and bladder surgeries which has left him with "buttons" I think is the technical term. The initial button was quite proud of his skin. My mother is a keen sewer and made him a little pad and belt to go over it so it didn't catch on his spray deck. However he's had his button replaced to a much smaller affair now and no longer needs the pads.

Something he did find difficult however was how long it took for him to regain his core strength. He had had his abdominal muscles butchered a few times (fingers crossed they don't need to go in again) but now two years on I would say he is equal to his peers and no after effects are noticed.

In the early days after his surgery we carried some pain relief for him as his stomach used to ache but for the most part he was back in his boat pretty quickly. We also carried spare sterile bits he needed but again he was pretty good at self managing.

I know it isn't advice about a stoma but hopefully useful to you.

Good luck

Becca
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

Yew

Post by Yew »

I think member p.r.unicycles has a similar conditon (He has mentioned a few times that he uses a colonoscopy bag) Perhaps if you put a PM his way, he may offer some advice?

Einstein

Post by Einstein »

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've done a few flat water paddles, but not done any competitive polo or whitewater yet, hopefully I'll be back up to that soon.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”