Paisley Freight & TNT

Inland paddling
Unsponsored

Paisley Freight & TNT

Post by Unsponsored »

As a warning to all. Paisley freight use TNT for the shipping of canoes/kayaks.

TNT have changed their rules ref canoes/kayaks. I had sold a boat, had it packaged and then picked up by TNT yesterday. On arrival at the depot the driver was handed a new guidance sheet that included a list of packages that can no longer be shipped. This includes canoes/kayaks. It seems that this may have been the case for sometime and that various depots are now clamping down on what is being sent.

The boat was returned back to me this am by the local TNT driver. Paisley freight weren't too bothered to be honest and were unable to arrange for another courier to pick the boat up as TNT are the only ones used for this service.

Bod Bagby

Re: Paisley Freight & TNT

Post by Bod Bagby »

Yes TNT have recently changed their length restrictions which unfortunately brings then into line with Fed-EX, UPS, DHL etc. We have had to change shipper at work as a % of our products are in excess of 2.7m (it is not simply a length measurement either as girth is incorporated into the calculation).

Adam-Evans22

Post by Adam-Evans22 »

I've actually had a boat refused collection from Paisley Freight/TNT because although the boat was packaged up, it wasn't in a solid card board box.

ianletton

Post by ianletton »

Interesting. I guess it depends on the driver/depot.

I sold my creek boat about a week ago. Buyer arranged a collection with Paisley Freight and as you said TNT arrived. But they were fine with it. Boat was wrapped tightly in bubble wrap and commercial cling film. The driver had no problems, just threw it straight into the van.

Arrived next day somewhere in England. Cheap, efficient and quick. Based on my experience I'd use them again.

Ian
IanLetton

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored »

Policy change was last Friday.

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

I'm hearing through a similar Facebook discussion that the change may simply be temporary during the run up to Christmas.

a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue »

i think it will last, as a shop selling kayaks we used TNT to ship kayaks, talking to the driver they don't want anything to big for there new conveyor systems. We also use Direct courier solutions who used TNT for long parcels, there still getting my kayaks about.....just, fingers crossed! They are getting a fleet of vans to try and carry on taking long parcels, wont always be next day though. Its getting harder and harder to move stuff around the country.

mills82

Post by mills82 »

Brilliant I'm having 2 kayaks delivered to me!

Another company that I get a lot of deliveries from for work is asprays. They deliver massive great crates to me with boilers/ radiators and other heating things in some boxes big enough to fit a playboat in anyway, they also deliver 3mtr long bundles of copper pipe to me as well so the length and weight shouldn't be a problem. It may be though as the company I buy through use them a lot so they will deliver these things.

I think there head office is in Birmingham but Google asprays 24hr and it should come up.

Jim

Post by Jim »

It is quite possible to engage a haulier directly to carry larger cargoes, but that means paying for an entire truck to make the delivery which will be expensive. Usually the cost of the truck between depots is shared by hundreds of smaller parcels.

If you could fit a boat on a pallet (maybe a double pallet?) there are plenty of companies that will haul palletised freight similarly to parcel freight, but pallet frieght is usually about £75 for a pallet - if you need a double pallet it will need 2 slots....

People used to talk about finding hauliers backhauling empty trucks, I have no idea if this is practical in this day and age, I'd guess freight systems are pretty good these days at making sure there is always another cargo to pick up near each drop off....??

There must be some paddling truckers out there? how does it really work?

Junior

Post by Junior »

Does anyone know if Paisley Freight are still a no-go for kayaks?

Who are people using now?

Northeast Kayaks

Post by Northeast Kayaks »

Hi, TNT no loger take any kayaks, use a company called DCS Solutions

Cheers
Jon

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”