Scotland levels?

Inland paddling
richap01

Scotland levels?

Post by richap01 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi all travelling up to fort william on Saturday, does anyone know what the levels are like at the moment?

Cheers

Phil

paddletastic2

Re: Scotland levels?

Post by paddletastic2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:54 pm

The gauges are all online.

Go to the Where's the water website and you can look at virtually live levels (a few hours old). A fair amount of water about at present!

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 am

Pretty wet around Glasgow and Dumbarton today, but be aware that many of our best rivers can rise and fall in the same day.

Nevis gauge is usually a good to see the effect:
11 am Wednesday, 0.75 (low)
3 pm Wednesday 1.15 (high)
8 pm Wednesday 0.85 (low/medium)
3 am Thursday 1.3 (high)
By the time you read this the rest of Thursday will be on the graph and I'll bet it shows another couple of lows and peaks!
http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_leve ... &lc=116011

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Jim, are you telling us the information is generally about 6 - 9 hours behind current data? You might think, in this day and age, they could get it automatically updated within minutes.

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Jim, are you telling us the information is generally about 6 - 9 hours behind current data? You might think, in this day and age, they could get it automatically updated within minutes.
Isn't this the same problem seen for the Lake District EA gauges? Gauges run on battery power, updating uses up energy, gauges and batteries may be in remote places, ergo fewer updates means longer lasting batteries?
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Might be. Solar power might be a good plan for these things.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Jim, are you telling us the information is generally about 6 - 9 hours behind current data? You might think, in this day and age, they could get it automatically updated within minutes.
As I understand it all the gauges are connected to SEPA by telephone modems so there are practical considerations with relation to how often they call up each gauge to download the data.

SEPA/SCA did a survey some time ago (2 years or more?) to find out what people thought of the system and what improvements could be made. As I recall we had a choice between more rivers and polling once per day, or fewer rivers and polling twice per day. As part of the process we also got to suggest alternative rivers and remove some of the duplicates keeping only the ones that are most relevant for paddlers (which are not necessarily the same as the ones most relevant to SEPA in terms of flood control).
I don't recall seeing a statement about changes but I'm sure the WTW website has changed and now lists different gauges, I'm not sure about the polling interval though.

Maybe in the future SEPA will upgrade their infrastructure to get real time gauging, given the remote locations of a great many gauging stations, I wouldn't think it will happen any time soon because there simply won't be infrastructure in place to allow it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Looking at the Nevis graph it seems to update at 0530 each day, so just one download per day. By the time it has been downloaded, processed to the SEPA database, downloaded by WTW and uploaded to the website, it may be 0830 before the data is available to paddlers.

Yesterday was interesting, if you haven't already done so check out the Nevis hydrograph above! Peaked at 1.6m at 1800, but you can see the effect of every heavy shower and the run off between them....

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 pm

We are heading up tonite. Ive been checking wheres the water and weather forecast all week. currently levels are mostly medium if the forecast is right expect some epic boating over the next 4 days AVE IT !!!!!! gunna get my pick up any minute.

banzer

Post by banzer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 am

Heading up late Tuesday night to Torridon / NW if levels are good.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Fr0d0nk

Post by Fr0d0nk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:43 pm

For those in Scotland this coming week, a yellow rain warning has been issued. Im sure you don't need telling that it will be wet, but please consider that the rivers will be going up very quickly and there could be changes to known rapids from falling trees etc.

Lets all give an extra minute and caution when deciding which river to paddle, whether to stop and inspect that blind bend or drop and take care on the river, and on the roads. Stay safe, and lets see those ear boofs and fun had by all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Jim wrote:SEPA/SCA did a survey some time ago (2 years or more?)
November last year in fact, I was just tidying up and found a print I made of the survey (no idea why I printed it, I just recycled it).

Heavy rain and high winds at the moment, the roads were getting pretty nasty this evening - take care folks.

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Probably everyone already knows this but I've just realised it existed. If you go into wheresthewater and click on a river then click on the MAP Search tabs you get hundreds of river's levels. Don't know why I've never spotted this but could be really useful if you don't already know it. http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/default.aspx?sm=t

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”