Tryweryn, current situation??

Inland paddling
stevenb

Tryweryn, current situation??

Post by stevenb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

So its been a while since the Tryweryn post has been updated. Im still a little confused as to whether we can paddle the river free of charge and pay for the parking. Im hearing reports of people being shouted at from the bank for not wearing the band (ie paid to get on the river).

Any one had problems recently, do you just pay parking or the extortionate amount to paddle?

Steve

flipt

Re: Tryweryn, current situation??

Post by flipt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Steve, quite a while back i established through facebook and Mark Williamson (the centre manager) that paying the parking fee grants access to all the footpaths.....the ones that lead to the river for example. As Canoe Wales who rent the land from NRW policy is such that no charge can be enforced for navigation, then stay with the large number of people who no longer use the cafe and do not pay the 'facility fee'.

I met with John Hatton of CW a couple of weeks back and raised this issue using their own comments about Welsh Dee Partnership back to their management of Tryweryn charging. They cant be upset that WDP are misleading paddlers to stick to a 'free' navigation agreement (with no proven legal rights i may add) when they are misleading paddlers in to paying to navigate the river flowing through their land?!
John appeared to empathise but did not commit to a comment. I can only hope as he becomes more settled in his role he can clean up their wording and confirm there is no charge for navigation.

I certainly do not pay more than the parking and have not been challenged. Speaking to many paddlers in Llangollen i have not met many whom have paid more than the parking.
Gradientfood.com - a sandwich bar in Llangollen.

stevenb

Post by stevenb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks,

I did believe that was the case but have heard of people being shouted at from the bank for not wearing the bands. I have recently paid parking as its a great carpark and got on with no problems. Just wondered what the current situation was.

Steve

flipt

Post by flipt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Although not the purpose of the meeting, when briefly on the subject approx 4 weeks ago, John Hatton did not indicate any change from march or any immediate change in policy :-/
Gradientfood.com - a sandwich bar in Llangollen.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”