Inland paddling
quicky

Wye Barbed wire.

Post by quicky » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:13 am

Not sure how recent this is.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5494626648
Nigel Lunn

Hi All,

Kayakers and non kayakers alike, please share this message .
Today a group of us travelled to Llangurig to paddle the River Wye, from Lllangurig to Rhayader, approximately 1 and a half miles from the put in we came across a length of barbed wire stretching the full width of the river, it had been made look like it could have got there by accident! Upon closer inspection it was obvious a new fence had recently been erected and remainder of the wire deliberately stretched across the river to cause harm to Kayakers and Canoeists travelling this river. The wire was wrapped around the trunk of a tree and looked to be loose, when I looked closer the wooden spool with which barbed wire is wrapped to make it easier to handle was hidden below the water behind the roots of a tree with a few metres of wire still wrapped around it.I have tried to remove the wire but was unable to get close enough to get the spool of wire out of the water and unwind it back around the trunk of the tree.
This kind of act is extremely dangerous and worst case scenario someone could die by drowning if they were to get snagged in this Deliberately set trap. Please like and share. Many thanks WKC Members

gp.girl

Re: Wye Barbed wire.

Post by gp.girl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:45 am

Post looks new, be very careful out there folks. Worth reporting to the police?
I can roll :)

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:40 pm

gp.girl wrote:Post looks new, be very careful out there folks. Worth reporting to the police?
Could anyone post a pic?

It's a deliberate mantrap and if someone was travelling at some speed it could possibly decapitate them. That "someone" could be unfamiliar with the area and could be navigating in the dark. Such mantraps have regularly been used against dirt bikers and mountain bikers, commonly taking the form of cheesewire or electrical flex stretched across tracks on public land, at a height intended to maim or kill young riders.

Talking about navigation, surely it's a criminal offence to wilfully obstruct navigation?

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

twicezero

Post by twicezero » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 pm

I've come across wire across a couple of rivers. My understanding is that its used on shallow sections to stop cattle movements. Of course shallow sections can also lead into rapids.
Is it possible that this is the case here, and the farming staff have worked to build something solid, not thinking that there could be people using the river?

Course, in the states I found signs like this one one river. Most useful.

quicky

Post by quicky » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 pm

so we put a wire across but say you cannot get out to get past it......

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:05 am

With things like that, it's so tempting to find out who did it and relocate the wire across their driveway.
Not really, but makes my blood boil.

If it's deliberately put there, it should be reported to the police.
dave

RichA

Post by RichA » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 am

It should be reported as a suspected mantrap. Leave it up to the police to determine if it was intentional or not. WCA?

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Has this been reported on the access map yet? http://access.canoedaysout.com/input/incident/115. This is useful as paddlers often use it to check for incidents, also it means all these incidents are recorded in one place.
Ken

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm

RichA wrote:It should be reported as a suspected mantrap. Leave it up to the police to determine if it was intentional or not.
This - intent to cause ABH/GBH etc. Once contacted by the police it should be up to the "Owner" to prove otherwise....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Keith Day

Post by Keith Day » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Ken_T wrote:Has this been reported on the access map yet? http://access.canoedaysout.com/input/incident/115. This is useful as paddlers often use it to check for incidents, also it means all these incidents are recorded in one place.
Ken
Yes.I've entered it on the map using an approximate location

patch

Post by patch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 am

Chalky723 wrote:
RichA wrote:It should be reported as a suspected mantrap. Leave it up to the police to determine if it was intentional or not.
This - intent to cause ABH/GBH etc. Once contacted by the police it should be up to the "Owner" to prove otherwise....

C
Not sure how that would fit in with "innocent until proven guilty".

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 am

I'm sure that if I put a neck height trip wire on my path to catch the postie, the police would be asking me to prove it's "innocent" reason for being there.

C

RichA

Post by RichA » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 am

patch wrote:
Chalky723 wrote:

C
Let the police decide that, it's their job.

Franky

Post by Franky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm

RichA wrote:
patch wrote:
Let the police decide that, it's their job.
No it's not, it's a principle that is enshrined in British law. If there is reasonable doubt of guilt, the accused must be considered innocent.

It's the opposite on the Continent, where it's the job of the defendant to prove their innocence.

whosthedaddy

Post by whosthedaddy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:51 pm

No it's not, it's a principle that is enshrined in British law. If there is reasonable doubt of guilt, the accused must be considered innocent.
Hmmm..

If I were a farmer who didn't like ramblers and dug a pit across a popular public footpath, put in stakes pointing upwards and covered it with bracken I would surely be arrested and charged. I would however remain innocent until the court case where I would certainly be found guilty.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Exactly. Otherwise no-one would ever get arrested until they had been found guilty....

As I said, the police could have a chat with the farmer/psychopath and ascertain his reasoning for the placing of the wire.

"Why have you put that there, you could kill someone"

He then has to deny that & give a reasonable explanation - if that explanation doesn't tick the boxes then Plod can take it further - all without "un-enshrining" any of his rights.....

C

Franky

Post by Franky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:19 pm

whosthedaddy wrote:
Hmmm..

If I were a farmer who didn't like ramblers and dug a pit across a popular public footpath, put in stakes pointing upwards and covered it with bracken I would surely be arrested and charged. I would however remain innocent until the court case where I would certainly be found guilty.
That's how it works, yes. Legal innocence is an official status that does not inevitably denote actual innocence. Just as somebody can be legally guilty but actually innocent (e.g. if they were framed).

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

From time to time I've seen 'sheep netting' fencing stretched across a river to stop livestock escaping. In upland areas this is more likely to be sheep but could be cattle. The fence has multiple strands making a fence about 3ft high, which would of course stop livestock escaping at various river levels. Here: http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fenci ... stock.aspx

I'm sure the single strand of barbed wire would not stop sheep escaping but might be ok for cattle. Sheep are most likley in this area. Context is everything here - can you post photos?? Do you know stock what was in the fields?

If there aren't any stock then the conclusion seems to me that it was installed to trap the unwary.

callwild

Post by callwild » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Maybe take a look at a similar situation on the Kent.
It was reported to the Police.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... arbed+wire

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”