Gauges for Troutbeck and Rothay

Inland paddling
Ian W

Gauges for Troutbeck and Rothay

Post by Ian W » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Came across some gauges quoted for Troutbeck and Rothay (and a few others) on the Farson Digital site.
http://farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/calgarth

First time I have seen them, has anyone used them?

Could be worth linking in to Rainchasers if they are reliable.

I will keep an eye on them.

Jim Pullen

Re: Gauges for Troutbeck and Rothay

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:53 am

Must be fairly new, get a couple of calibrations together and one of us can add them on.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:37 am

Ah, the Troutbeck one isn't an EA gauge, which makes things more tricky. We already have a Rothay one on Rainchasers at Miller Bridge House, not sure where the Brathay Hall info comes from?

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 pm

The Rothay calibrations I suggested are just best guesses...
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

callwild

Post by callwild » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Are you sure the Calgarth gauge is not EA as it seems to now be on the EA website

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/r ... hmentId=45

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

How exciting!!
I will start the calibration asap - hopefully tomorrow if the forecast rain comes!

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Brilliant!

I'd assumed they had a gauge on Troutbeck and emailed the EA asked for it to be added to their online system. They said this would happen "soon". This was at least a year ago! Still, better late than never.

I asked them if they had one on the Ogwen they could put online too, but apparantly they don't have one there. Odd, since it's a fairly substantial river. Ho hum.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Sneaky - it's on the text navigation, but not the map!

Calibrate away and we'll stick it on!

The EA have been fairly responsive to me. They got the Yorkshire Moors Esk gauge online when I asked and fixed the Swale one fairly quickly when it broke a little while ago. Always worth trying them if there's another gauge you want online.

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:Sneaky - it's on the text navigation, but not the map!
I was going to say that the EA have another river levels map that is a little more user friendly than the default site you end up on if you search for River Levels on their site. This one has shown gauges when they have been added previously (and not added to the other map). Doesn't seem to be the case this time though! Oh well.

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Had a good run on the Troutbeck this morning at best described as a medium level but as yet the gauge has not updated since 5am, which is a bit of a pain for getting accurate levels for paddling (especially as I imagine they are feeding data all the time). So will let you know when it is updated.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Ian W wrote:Had a good run on the Troutbeck this morning at best described as a medium level but as yet the gauge has not updated since 5am, which is a bit of a pain for getting accurate levels for paddling (especially as I imagine they are feeding data all the time). So will let you know when it is updated.
For curiosity can you give me your level opinions for there two vids, so that we are singing off the same hymn sheet.

https://vimeo.com/53881602

https://vimeo.com/10726269

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Always a bit arbitrary but I think that the level we did it at today was higher than the lower of your two vids - in that a few more rocks were covered. I guess that your first vid I would describe as high.
I have a few pics, so will post these and try to relate them to the gauge.
To note there are a few trees down, will post in the Troutbeck section.
Cheers
Ian

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Ian W wrote:Had a good run on the Troutbeck this morning at best described as a medium level but as yet the gauge has not updated since 5am, which is a bit of a pain for getting accurate levels for paddling (especially as I imagine they are feeding data all the time). So will let you know when it is updated.
Good stuff. Not jealous in the slightest!

I queried the EA about this a while ago whilst trying to sort some stuff for Rainchasers. I asked why the stations don't update the website more frequently (even in real time, since the gauges seem to poll the level every 10 mins or so). Basically, whilst the gauges do collect the data very frequently, the data upload requires power which is almost always provided by batteries. More frequent updates drain the batteries, which costs the EA money sending people out to replace them.

That said, when a river is deemed by the EA to be at risk of flooding, they do begin to upload the data more frequently. Unfortunately this starts above levels at which rivers become paddleable, so doesn’t really help us that much.

callwild

Post by callwild » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 pm

For curiosity can you give me your level opinions for there two vids, so that we are singing off the same hymn sheet.
I'd agree with Ian, first vid Low, second High.
Although its boderline Top end medium, low High, as there still seem to be quite a few boulders showing.
I'm sure Ian has done it a lot higher with all the boulders covered !! Would that then be still high or huge?

Should be able to extrapolate what the guage was on when you did it now from the gauge timeline after the event.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm

When the water's a few inches over the road lay-by at the put in. That's "huge".
[And a stupid level to solo].
dave

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 pm

DaveBland wrote:When the water's a few inches over the road lay-by at the put in. That's "huge".

All washed out at that level? ;-)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 pm

So the hairpin in the gorge was angled about 45 degrees as the water banked round, the outside was scouring rocks off the wall and the inside was a vortex sucking down to hell. I swam just after that and just managed to crawl out up the wall by the factory. Boat and paddle was a goner.

The really stupid thing?
I was on my way to paddle Stock Ghyl, but the road was flooded so decided on Troutbeck instead. Ah, the follies of youth.

But enough reminiscing... no it doesn't washout.
dave

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:57 am

So I've uploaded some photos here (hopefully you can see them) - with a few comments on;
https://www.facebook.com/ian.wilson.583 ... 113&type=1

I thing that the gauge would have been on about 0.87 when we got on at 11am and the river was dropping off. I would imagine that if the gauge was not in the blue 'Flooding is possible' band then it is probably not worth doing. Of course this is coming from a 'locals' perspective rather than those who have driven for hours.

Look forward to further validation sessions!!

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

Lancs_lad wrote:
DaveBland wrote:When the water's a few inches over the road lay-by at the put in. That's "huge".

All washed out at that level? ;-)

I don't think the Troutbeck gets much harder at really high flows, some rapids do wash out a bit but others get quite large wave trains on. The risk is always trees and I would be very wary of doing a mega spate run if I had not done it in the last week or so.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”