Getting Comfortable

Inland paddling
Chilliphil

Getting Comfortable

Post by Chilliphil » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 am

First post, so be kind...

I've recently got back into kayaking and "accidently" bought myself a Perception 3D kayak. I've been out in it a couple of times now and like the kayak. However, on the first trip out on the river (without foot pegs in) after about 15 minutes my left foot had gone completely numb. On getting out much later I found that I had a huge bruise on the inside of my left thigh (don't know if this is related). On the second trip on a lake I put the foot pegs back in to see if this would help. This time both feet went numb and on getting out after I pretty much fell out and had to sit down until I got feeling again in them.

I've searched around and seen comments of people well over 6' with size 13 feet fitting in this kayak so I'm thinking I should fit. I'm 6' with size ten feet. I do have dodgy knee and ankle joints though so I don't know if this is impacting on my comfort.

I don't want to get rid and pick up a different kayak if I don't have to so would welcome any advice on how to get comfortable - particularly my feet (on the second trip with the foot pegs in they felt squashed).

Thanks!!

Jim Pullen

Re: Getting Comfortable

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:48 am

It's probably more to do with the padding around your hips cutting off your circulation to your legs and feet - have you tried fiddling with this?

I seem to remember the main issue I had with an old club 3D padding was whichever bright spark put a large block of padding between one's legs. Whatever you do, don't piton on a rock! (/winces at the memory...)
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Chilliphil

Post by Chilliphil » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

Jim there isn't any padding at the hips, just a back rest. I did wonder about pinching around the thighs or hips cutting off circulation but it didn't feel like it was. First trip it only affected my left foot but on the second with the foot pegs in it was both feet. Luckily my Scouts chose not to laugh at me as I fell out of the kayak last night with two dead feet!!

Sambo1988

Post by Sambo1988 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am

Hi when I got my new boat i had the same probblem after 10min of paddling,
i fiddled with the hip pads so they did'nt press to much onto my hips and lifted them up a bit, also i got myself a sweet cheeks to go on my seat and pushed all the beans inside forward to support the underside of my thighs. This was the main problem support under my thighs.

this has solved my problem and i can now sit in my boat all day without a problem

hope this helps.

Sam

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:whichever bright spark put a large block of padding between one's legs
Part of the standard outfitting supplied by Perception was a block of foam which screwed onto the seat between your legs. We used to call this a ‘pleasure pod’ but I found it simply got in the way.

Chilliphil

Post by Chilliphil » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Nope no "pleasure pod" in this one!! The only foam is the bit that runs the length of the front from in front of the bottle holder to the nose.

I might have a play with support under my thighs but can't help thinking it's my ankles getting "squashed" that's the problem, or at least part of it.

Yew

Post by Yew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Chilliphil wrote: I might have a play with support under my thighs but can't help thinking it's my ankles getting "squashed" that's the problem, or at least part of it.
With circulation, I find it easiest to work my way down from Hips, to thighs, then to knees etc.

I'd try and find someone with a Jackson happy seat, as an aggressive (read as curvy) seat can cut off circulation at the lower thighs.

The knee bruises could be a sign of issues there. I'd source some self adhesive foam sheeting, and use it to pad the thigh braces, and the inside of the hull near your knees (if they touch, some boats have braces that hold your legs away from the hull.)

Your feet are also a possibility. Could you explain how they are in the boat? Ideally you want something similar to a 45 degree angle from the centreline of the boat. Like the blocks at the bottom of the foortes tin this image from IR do.

Image From Mark Mulrain, available: http://www.immersionresearch.eu/2011/12 ... our-kayak/

Chilliphil

Post by Chilliphil » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:35 pm

I was talking happy seats with someone at the weekend but don't want to shell out that sort of money without trying other options first. I've not found anyone with one yet, just people who want them, that and happy feet!!

Any suggestions where to buy the foam? My knees and thighs are touching so could certainly do with some padding to make it more comfortable.

How are my feet? Best way to describe it with the footpegs in is squashed!! With the pegs I can't get them at the angle you describe. I'm thinking I might be better with the foot pegs out and replacing with foam or happy feet, but again want to make sure this is the right thing to do before spending the money. I'm wearing wetsuit boots at the moment and it might be that the soles are too big to fit in comfortably, but as I've read people with huge feet fit in there must be something I'm doing wrong...

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Stretches might help - my left foot habitually goes numb when I kayak, unless I stretch my hips before I get in the boat. Then I can crank in as tight as is needed.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:08 pm

The two things that make the biggest difference are the foot angle as image in post above and support at front of seat under thigh to angle up to knees. Most new boats finally have raises at the front of the seat now. Grab any old padding and try it, and when you've got it right, replicate it with 'proper' foam.
dave

Chilliphil

Post by Chilliphil » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far, I've looked into stretches and will be working on this. A good idea anyway so that my kneecap has less chance of dislocating again!!

I'll have a play with the angle of my feet but not sure with the current set up I have a hope. From that picture I'm guessing I need my toes closer to the front than my heels with my toes pointing to the outside of the kayak?

Is there a good source of "proper" foam? I've had a look but only found roles of 2m so far, can't believe I'll need that much!!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Best bet for proper foam is to scab some form an old boat's buoyancy foam.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”