Safety course for non paddling partner!

Inland paddling
zig

Safety course for non paddling partner!

Post by zig » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:20 am

Hi,
Could anyone suggest any courses for my girlfriend regarding throw lines etc as I would like to paddle but usually it's just me and the girlfriend(who has no intention of paddling).Just wondering what's available as she wants to get involved but not enter the water unless it's absolutely necessary!
Cheers

Voodoo

Re: Safety course for non paddling partner!

Post by Voodoo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:07 am

an FSRT course has the option of doing it just as a bank based course, there is getting wet involved but not from a boat
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 am

Wow, not just a shuttle bunny but a safety bunny. I need to get me one of those.
dave

Mr Mark Pugh

Post by Mr Mark Pugh » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:34 am

Hi
I don't think there is a course for your girlfriend, although elements of some would be useful. If you are around the South Lakes I would be happy to pass on my thoughts in a practical and fun way. It would probably be better sooner rather than later as the water temperature is dropping.
Thanks
Mark

wild river

Post by wild river » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi there
I am pretty sure we could do something with her on one our Whitewater Safety courses.
Give me a ring and we can sort it. Details on the website below
Sean

zig

Post by zig » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Sorry,
Forgot to say we're based in the southwest(Gloucestershire)

Yellow boat

Post by Yellow boat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Bank based FSRT. Would cover all the basics including throw line. Bank based is still a "wet" course but no paddling involved.
Just a bit of swimming.

nutterboy

Post by nutterboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 am

If Your looking at moving water then the rescue 3 swift water first responder may be suitable

Obviously your moving towards more professional rescue courses rather than recreational but the course is aimed at keeping yourself safe and basic bank based rescues. I reckon the course would involve getting wet but no paddling and no rescues involving getting wet

David
temperature is a state of mind

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 am

Having done bank support for small groups a couple of times when I didn't want to paddle, and chatted to a mate yesterday who did something similar for another friend having a late solo run down the Moriston, I am going to advise that your girlfriend will find it much easier to become a paddler! It is damned hard to keep up on foot.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:41 am

Okay, I'm obviously in cynical grumpy mode tonight…. but I wonder how much she can do/learn that you can't teach show her yourself?
Given that she won't be able to jump in after you, it's a bit of towline skills and how to dial 999.
If you are into soloing, then you have to accept that that's what you are doing and not rely on safety from the bank only. If you are with a bud on the water, then is it fair to ask your GF to put herself in potential danger [without BA, Helmet, water clothing] to add minimal assistance over chucking a throw line?

Sorry if I'm way off...
dave

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 am

Sometimes I bank support my bf when I can't be bothered to paddle, but I do it in full gear and am prepared to get wet - although I can't think of many situations where it would be safe for me to rescue the bf from the water where he wouldn't be able to self-rescue.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Are you looking for the right thing in asking about a course? Maybe what you want is a bit of 1-on-1 with a safety provider discussing and doing what exactly you need, rather than trying to find a standard course that does what you don't want or need.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”