A strange request- Aquatic Dermatology

Inland paddling
chris s sladden

A strange request- Aquatic Dermatology

Post by chris s sladden »

Hello,

This may seem a rather strange request but perhaps some of the readers can help. I have been asked to do a plenary session lecture at the World Congress of Dermatology-which next year is in Vancouver. It is rather like the Olympic Games of Dermatology with 15000 dermatologists turning up.

What is Aquatic Dermatology? A fair question. I have wondered that myself. I've managed to change the title of the talk to, "Skin Conditions in Waters Users and Water Workers". I'm rather short on material. Has anyone here had any skin problems from boating, which they would be prepared to share?

These could range from jaundice in Weil's or Malaria, Myiasis (horrible little flies which lay their eggs under the skin, skin cancer because of too much sun(hands for example), Seal Finger in sea kayakers to severe eczema or dermatitis due to rubber accelerator allergy. Anything could be considered. I would need quality photos which you wouldn't mind sharing and a diagnosis/treatment- it would be interesting regarding which kind of physician sorted out the problem too.

Any help would be really welcome- please private message me.

Many thanks

Chris

Jim

Re: A strange request- Aquatic Dermatology

Post by Jim »

Do those little blisters you sometimes get at the base of your fingers or just below the knuckles count as a condition?

I'm no stranger to dermatitis but can't recall any particularly water related episodes, even on the Colorado which is notorious for drying out paddlers hands.
Sometimes get a bit on my hands if I've been working with epoxy (i.e. repairing boats) which could be a tenuous link. I can usually prevent it by use of barrier cream, nitrile gloves and industrial marigolds over the top - might sound like overkill but I worked as a laminator for a year and I've seen the blisters some of the lads who become really sensitised to it ended up with, usually they could be moved to duties where they weren't in contact with epoxy but that wasn't always successful.

Try asking on the sea kayak forum - I'm pretty sure Douglas has already written up something about melanomas (I think he's had 2) and the importance of remembering UV protection when sea kayaking.

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite »

Latex allergy from neck seals on white water gear? Splitting skin around finger nails due to the constant wetting and drying?
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Repeated flaking skin on my feet, I've never had it diagnosed but I suspect it comes from sticking my feet in manky wet boots that rarely dry out between sessions. I've treated it with athletes foot cream which seems to do the job.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

MikeRoberts

Post by MikeRoberts »

I had a fairly severe case of cellulitis, originating from a barely noticeable graze in my leg (merci River Trent). I was given antibiotics within about 6 hours of noticing it, and ended up with an infected area from just below my knee, to around parts of my ankle.

I then had some skin issues for a while after (peeling, hair loss, "freckles")

If it's of any interest, I can see if I can dig out some details and possibly photos?

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite »

Some of my friends have got hogweed burns from river banks (photodermatitis?)
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

chris s sladden

Post by chris s sladden »

Wadhamite wrote:Some of my friends have got hogweed burns from river banks (photodermatitis?)
How interesting. They contain coumarins which photosensitize-similar to how lime, parsnips and celery can. They usually cause a streaky somewhat linear dermatitis which can leave pigment changes. Just the kind of thing I'm after- any photos please?

Thanks for the kind private messages-really helpful.

As an afterthought I'm sure both Dave Mamby and Slime must have had some interesting skin issues with the amount of distant countries they have travelled to!

Cheers

Chris

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete »

There's "Swimmers' Itch" caused by an accidental infection by a parasite. It occurs in fresh water. I've never had it despite my 45 years' swimming outdoors.

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”