Beware : Disposable Five Ten Water Tennies

Inland paddling
Phil Woodhead

Beware : Disposable Five Ten Water Tennies

Post by Phil Woodhead » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm

I find paddling shoes a nightmare. Something that will be robust, grippy, small enough to fit in a boat but large enough for my feet. I liked the look of, and bought a pair of Five Ten Water Tennies (http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... nnie-black).

Unfortunately, they started delaminating with 1 year. I didn’t think too much of it until someone said I should look at a warranty claim. My local shop umm’d and ahh’d before saying it was fair wear and tear. So I sent them back to 5.10 who haven’t given me the courtesy of a reply.

You would think most manufacturers would want to put something like this right. I can only assume by the lack of a reply that the fault is considered acceptable. Please make your own mind up – photo below. I’m not sure how many people can afford to replace (£75) paddling shoes every year but take note!

I like to buy quality kit that performs and lasts and I’m not one to abuse my kit. Shimano MTB shoes, New Balance running shoes, Salomon hiking boots all going strong after many years.

Disappointed with Five Ten product quality. Disappointed they seem to take quality issues for granted. Disappointed at a lack of common courtesy.

Make of this what you will as this is just one man’s experience. I’m now looking for a new set of paddling shoes. If only it were the good old days of the Teva Gamma Pro.

rivereden

Re: Beware : Disposable Five Ten Water Tennies

Post by rivereden » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:25 pm

I've had two pairs now and have stopped buying them the same with canyoneers, it's a fools economy. They are great, 5 ten rubber is awesome but i cant keep shelling out £75 - £85 a year. I've resorted to sports direct trail shoes at £25, they work fine.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Astral Rasslers are even worse, 4 months old and totalled, I'm not sure if theyve been recalled but been offered a full refund by shop, had similar problem with Tennies a lot worse than the OP but lasted longer.
Has anyone got any ideas on a bombproof water shoe size 11 that will fit in a boat?
Mark

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 pm

I've got done cheap palm boots worn with a neoprene sock underneath they're OK. Been using them for 2 years now.

boosh

Post by boosh » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm

I had the same problem with Canyoneers, and a friend has been through a set of Canyonners and Tennies in 2 years as well.
Then in late 2012 I managed to pick up a set of Palm Merrell boots and they are still mint after nearly two years of kayaking and canoeing (which usually destroys the toe box area). It is a shame that they dont make them anymore. If you can find a pair of 11s my advice would be to buy them at whatever price they are being sold for. I wish I had brought two pairs.

I am sure I heard a rumour that Palm were developing a replacement for the Palm/Merrell boots but I haven't heard anything for a while. Does anyone in the know have any details as to whether this was pie in the sky dreaming on my behalf?

I wont be buying 5:10 again which is a shame because the Canyoneer3s look pretty cool.
Pete

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 pm

boosh wrote:II am sure I heard a rumour that Palm were developing a replacement for the Palm/Merrell boots but I haven't heard anything for a while. Does anyone in the know have any details as to whether this was pie in the sky dreaming on my behalf?
Officially I can not neither confirm or deny that there is something a foot. With the European Paddle Expo weeks away, there is likely to be many desirable products on offer.

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Yeah have the same 5.10 falling apart after a year RUBBISH. TK max trainer department all the way, at least then when the trainers that cost £20 disintergrate after a year it dosent matter

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Phil Woodhead wrote:
I’m not sure how many people can afford to replace (£75) paddling shoes every year but take note!
I think a year's solid use is acceptable. Running shoes cost much more and runners easily go through 2 pairs a year.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm

But you can bet the runners are wearing the trainers out rather than them just falling to pieces!

And if my £120 Meindl walking boots only lasted a year of regular use I'd really spit my dummy out!!

I've decide to try some Typhoon Rock Boots - at around £40 a pair if they only last a year I won't cry.

Will let you know how they got on in Sept 2015....

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

DuncanOH

Post by DuncanOH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Exactly the same. Bought a pair in March as I'd read some people said they were good for a year. They were coming apart at the seams within 2 months, and I keep mine in good condition, drying them out straight after every use. I'll post pictures when I get some time.

I use 5:10 climbing shoes and they've been great, so I was a bit of a fan, but it's extremely frustrating that they can't produce a water shoes with good build quality.

NicM

Post by NicM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 pm

This post makes me glad i didnt spend the £75 on a pair now. Instead I went with £14 dunlop canvas high top's from Sports Direct - being a size 12 I was pleasantly surprised at how well they fit in a boat. And at the price if they last me a year I'll be happy. So far after 7 months paddling, including a week in the alps theyre holding up fine and look like any other trainers i have after 7 months use.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 am

After a pair of Palm Granites let me down after very little wear I've been looking for some boots to wear in the OC1, really wanted a pair of Teva's as the ones I had years back were excellent, but struggled to find stock anywhere remotely local of the styles I like (I was told that they were changing their UK importer?), For the moment I'm sticking with my canvas rubber soled boots I bought from Decathlon for £13 2 years ago for use over my drysuit, I'll just stick a pair of neo socks inside them. They have been used and abused and even used for some gardening duties but are still going strong. In fact, I've just found them on sale for £6.50, better buy a spare pair..... http://www.decathlon.co.uk/green-steppe ... 06964.html
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Yew

Post by Yew » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 am

Sickboy wrote:After a pair of Palm Granites let me down after very little wear I've been looking for some boots to wear in the OC1, really wanted a pair of Teva's as the ones I had years back were excellent, but struggled to find stock anywhere remotely local of the styles I like (I was told that they were changing their UK importer?), For the moment I'm sticking with my canvas rubber soled boots I bought from Decathlon for £13 2 years ago for use over my drysuit, I'll just stick a pair of neo socks inside them. They have been used and abused and even used for some gardening duties but are still going strong. In fact, I've just found them on sale for £6.50, better buy a spare pair..... http://www.decathlon.co.uk/green-steppe ... 06964.html
Those are tempting! I'm still using a pair of Karrimor Summer walking/hiking shoes, with mesh pannels in them, but they're starting to look like they're about ready for replacement

Liz S

Post by Liz S » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm

http://www.rapidkayaks.co.uk/nrs-desper ... i1234.html. I've got a pair of these, but its too early to comment about their robustness as I've only had them on a few times.However if you do try a pair get a size bigger than you normally get as they run small. They seem nice, but as you know you cant say after a few outings.
Nothing I've had from Palm has lasted ever and I've had to get exchanges and refunds on boots and cags because the quality has been that poor.So I was after a new pair of boots I wouldnt even consider them from Palm even if they were free.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't know, most regular shoes I buy start to fall apart and/or leak within about 6 months, except the ones from Asda which leak from new - that includes Saloman which I don't waste money on any more. Boots last me a lot longer but I got fed up wearing them ever day.

Paddling shoes, well usually it's either Lomo wetsuit boots when I have enough space, or wetsuit socks when I don't.

I do still have some Teva Gammas - I have been using them a bit over the summer (been playing in C1 needing something between wetsut socks and boots) and used them on saturday for the Oban Sea Kayak Race. They aren't perfect, in one piece yes (my old ones weren't, but only the straps fraying which I replaced) but where the rubber comes onto the top of your toes there is some stitching or something which can rub your toes - due to windy, wavy conditions I needed to press the right rudder pedal a lot on Saturday, with a tiny amount of movement of my toes in the shoes I rubbed 2 toes on my right foot raw in the 2:34 it took me to get round..... :-(

akpete

Post by akpete » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Good to know it's not just me, I guess watershoes have a pretty hard life! I went through a pair of Brewers in half a season, replaced them with Rasslers as they looked to have been beefed up the areas which has been trashed on the brewers, but I have no idea how they'll hold up. Best, and longest lasting, pair I ever had were the Palm Gradient boots - lasted a couple of years and were still just about in one piece when I left one of them at a takeout! Best thing about them was a decent lugged vibram sole, so much better for muddy uk style riverbanks than the 5.10 stealth sole with the dots used on the five tens and astrals which is awesome on clean rock and dry ground but sucks in mud.

freerider90

Post by freerider90 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Exactly the same for me except they are starting to fall apart after only 4 month of relatively light use! I have sent Five 10 customer service an email but as yet no response...

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:07 am

Yew wrote:
Those are tempting! I'm still using a pair of Karrimor Summer walking/hiking shoes, with mesh pannels in them, but they're starting to look like they're about ready for replacement
Ordered the spares yesterday, and I made a mistake, they are 4 years old now, how time flies....
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

mantamx

Post by mantamx » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm

these shoes are used by adidas sickline kayak team, incl during long walk-ins on expeditions, tomass and others say they are very durable. but not cheap!.. http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/adidas-hydro- ... ing-shoes/

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm

mantamx wrote:these shoes are used by adidas sickline kayak team, incl during long walk-ins on expeditions, tomass and others say they are very durable. but not cheap!.. http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/adidas-hydro- ... ing-shoes/
Adidas own five-ten...

nick 16

Post by nick 16 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm

I've just got back from France where my (nearly) sister in law took us to a shop that sold water tennies, canyoneers and the canyoneers with the toe protection. The tennies and regular canyoneers were 99 euros then at 130 euros were the Adidas water boots which looked really good and didn't have the pastic straps which break the straps were webbing and velcro and seemed to be made from the same rubber and also the material was like dry bag material so looked lots tougher. In the end I bought some adidas trainers with stealth rubber on offer for 50 euros as they were the last pair. I've got a set of etche canyoning boots £45 from a caving shop starless river the sizing is huge though for room for really thick socks and neo for caving and canyoning so I recommed dropping a shoe size i bought the 45's but theres loads of room in there. Plus the etches are really good in the uk they are better in mud and they are made the same way as wellies.

etche boots

Pic of the trainers here

excuse the very american video

Last edited by nick 16 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas Ball

MikeRoberts

Post by MikeRoberts » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Interesting, I've seen a set looking like these before.. We put it down to wear and tear too, but now I've seen that, I'm not so sure.

It looks to me as though one particular fabric has fallen apart - not so much delamination, but one of the fabrics itself has failed. It could be possible that there was a bad batch of fabric, that has then been used in a/several batches of shoes. 5:10 may know something about this, they also might not.

What I can say is; that while 5:10 Water Tennies probably aren't the most durable of shoes, they are *usually* by no means poor, and I've seen plenty of them go a hell of a long way without issue.

mantamx

Post by mantamx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 am

Rapid Kayaks

Post by Rapid Kayaks » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 am

We will have these in stock early 2015

Best regards

The Rapid Team

www.rapidkayaks.co.uk

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:34 am

OK, but honestly - what's the difference between these & the ones Sickboy posted above, or even something like these - Shoezone Canvas Trainer?

If it's going to rot & fall to pieces anyway, then surely it'd be better to buy 10 cheap pairs for 10 years paddling at the cost of 1 expensive pair?

Why don't any of the kayaking related companies sell cheap shoes? For items you can't dual purpose e.g Spraydecks fair enough, we're a captive market. But canvas shoes?

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm

I had a pair of Water tennies and like everybody's they fell to bits only after 6 months. Thankfully the excellent team at Desperate measures took a photo and sent it back to the manufacturer and i got my money back within 2 weeks.

I now own a pair of these. Which i have now had for 2 months and seem solid. Excellent thick soles,and easy clip and zip to get on. Will let you all know if they last. Pretty cheap as well at 79 euros

http://www.artistic-sportswear.de/de/a/ ... nyon/boots

Cheers Andy.
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:29 pm

They look solid. Their previous ones the straps fell off.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”