Lower Conwy (Llanrwst) experience?

Inland paddling
Jan13

Lower Conwy (Llanrwst) experience?

Post by Jan13 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Does anybody have any advice on paddling the lower Conwy ? I was thinking of maybe Llanrwst to the sea.
I know once we get within the tidal range, we should be ok, access wise but I'd like to know if anybody has any experience of putting in a bit higher up?

DaveB

Re: Lower Conwy (Llanrwst) experience?

Post by DaveB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:17 pm

No direct experience above trefriw but a good number of years ago an angling club officer made a lot of fuss about trespass and damage to fishing and so forth, posting on here as Fishguard. More recently there was a prosecution brought by the environment agency against the guides on a rafting trip for disturbing gravels where spawning salmon could be found but the case was dropped before it went to trial.

Jan13

Post by Jan13 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Yeah - I've read the Fishguard exchange and am aware of the court case. But I thought that referred to an area of the river higher upstream? Wondered if anybody had any recent experiences. There is a Canoe Club in Llanrwst and I was hoping they would be able to advise but as yet I've not got an answer from them

Pete K

Post by Pete K » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 am

Not recent but a couple of years back a few of us parked a company van and trailer in the little car park over the bridge in Llanwrst. We carried 3 canoes to the river edge, got on once we'd checked everything over and paddled away. All this mid morning on a lovely sunny day.
We had no idea there might be agro here but had nothing but smiles and waves.
I even hitched back at the end of the trip with a local to collect the minibus.

Jan13

Post by Jan13 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:50 am

That's exactly the spot I was thinking of Pete! Maybe its a case of being quick and discrete!

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:44 pm

We paddle up from Conwy and have reached the bridge in Llanwrst. We even encountered a wealthy gent type and his dog who stated our sea kayaks were damaging the water bed and started to break up the bank and throw stuff at us, a classic nutter!
Not sure where you can launch from but we regularly see Canadians coming down from that end.
Dave

Rockpool GT