LEarning how to 'bounce' in a bow stall for Flat water loops

Inland paddling
pinkimark

LEarning how to 'bounce' in a bow stall for Flat water loops

Post by pinkimark »

Hey,

I've had a solid bow stall for a long time now, I would love to be able to flat water loop, But i struggling with getting the boat bouncin g ready to through the loop.

Are there any tips people can give for 'getting the bounces going'

cheers

Mark

StoneWeasel

Re: LEarning how to 'bounce' in a bow stall for Flat water l

Post by StoneWeasel »

If you are loosing stability and falling over when you try to bounce it may be just that you are not in a very stable position to start with. Try pushing your arms out away from the boat as much as is possible to give yourself a nice wide tripod of stability.

Denzil

pinkimark

Post by pinkimark »

Its not so much latteral stability I am struggleing with, I can sit in a bow stall for a very long time without loosing balance, I find when i try to bounce i either 1 - fall on my head or 2 - flatten out....

Gabrielkk

Post by Gabrielkk »

You should be able to get enough pop off just one pull and one push.

Once your stable in a bow stall, slowly push your hands (and paddle) underwater. Then to initiate the loop; forcefully pull your paddles up to the surface (bringing your boat down). Then when your boat starts to pop out, push forcefully on the surface of the water for extra pop and to get more height.

'Bouncing' really isn't necessary (in my opinion).

A good way to practise the push part is by seal launching in to the water off a bank (say of a foot or so height) and as your boat gets vertical, slam your paddles down through the water and initiate the loop. You should be able to get some decent height!

pinkimark

Post by pinkimark »

thanks for the help on this one, I'm getting there but still struggling.

Please see video:

Any comments gratefully recieved

floriano

Post by floriano »

Are you able to loop in a hole? Flatwater looping is more difficult, so looping in a hole will help you to get the movement right.

I am currently also in the process of learning the flatwater loop and in my last session I made some progress, which I would like to share. It helped me a lot to understand the following two facts:

Loop Theory (try to mentally visualise yourself doing that)
1. During the last bounce before looping, when you are going down into the water, your upper body needs to be leaned forward and the paddle should be outside the water
2. Then, when you go upwards your upper body needs to lean backward and you need to reach far out with your arms

The problem is, once you lean a lot forward when moving downwards you will flip. The same happens if you lean backward whilst moving upwards. The key here is to understand that you only obtain these positions once during the very last bounce before initiating the loop.

In order to reach those positions consider the following:

Getting Started with Bouncing
As Gabriel mentioned, there is no need for a lot of bouncing. Try to initiate the loop (get into position 1. and then into position 2.) immediately after the first little bounce:

You begin in the bow stall position. Then you pull yourself slightly downwards using your paddle (only a tiny bit, you need to figure out if one or two blades work best for you). Next you push yourself upwards with the paddle again (again only a tiny bit, no need for a lot of initial bounce). Both of the above steps are done without moving your upper body a lot, which will help to keep your bow stall steady (try focusing on your arms and paddle). This process should get you bouncing a little bit.

Initiating the Loop

Then, immediately after you have reached the topmost point of the little bounce, while moving downward you lean forward, which will help you to get deeper into the water (but keep your paddle outside the water). Immediately after you have reached the deepest point you will go upward and must lean back. Whilst moving upwards you do the loop procedure as you do it in a hole (reach far out with hands, tug your upper body really fast forward, lean back again in order to finish the loop).

pinkimark

Post by pinkimark »

wow,

thank you that some awesome help there. I have a pool session tonight so will try it out.

I can loop in a hole (but have only recently got it)

I think on the flat i'm trying to use my body too much then - as you can see I flatten out a lot.

fingers crossed for tonight i'll let you know how it goes. thanks for you help.

floriano

Post by floriano »

Here is a video of Dane Jackson doing a flatwater loop:

You can click on pause and then using the left/right arrow key advance frame by frame through the video. Notice how the upper body remains more or less constant apart from the very last bounce.

Yesterday during a flatwater session I noticed that the little initial bounce is easier when add an extra bounce upwards at the very beginning (as Dane does in the video). Then, do as described (go down a little, go up a little, go down while leaning forward, go up while leaning backward and loop)

Hakase

Post by Hakase »

You shouldn't be generating the bounce from the motion of your upper body -- you should only move your body for the purpose of keeping it balanced (until the last bounce).

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”