Dagger Approach Skeg repair & Airbag advice

Inland paddling
g.azza

Dagger Approach Skeg repair & Airbag advice

Post by g.azza » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Forum People

I'm new here, just been given a 2nd hand Dagger Approach 10 as a birthday present, very happy, my first kayak *grinning*. I need some advice about my new boat if anyone can help.

1) The skeg doesn't retract properly, the 'axle' it pivots on is loose, it seems to slip down out of it's intended position. Does anyone know the best way to fix this?

2) I've been looking around for an airbag for the stern, any Approach owners here who could recommend a good fitting airbag?

Thanks
Gazza

MikeB

Re: Dagger Approach Skeg repair & Airbag advice

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 pm

This may - or may not - be the same system as on your boat - see https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/tips ... e2011.html - but before you go pulling it all apart, note this comment within that article - "Give the skeg blade a slight forward tap near the hinge end of the blade with your fist so as to make it click into place on the hinge pin."

Pics might help us - see http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/po ... _links.htm if you're unsure how to post pics to this forum.

adpal

Post by adpal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi

We have a couple of approaches at our club that I've had to look at the skeg's on. The 'peg' that the skeg sit's on is just a bit of tubing ( they were different lengths on all of our boats ) and they all rattle. When you look at where the skeg sits there is like a 'V' shaped piece moulded into the plastic that the tubing sits in and to get it there you have to prise the opening apart and force it into place.

The way it works is basically the cord pulls the skeg down and the bungy is what pulls it back up , there's a disc shaped piece that the cord and bungy thread around and if they get stuck or come out of the runner then it won't work properly. You have to get the tension of the bungy right through trial and error , too loose and it doesn't pull the skeg up , too tight and you can't pull the skeg down.

As to the air bag you may need 2 t fit the size , I have a Pyranha Karnali and I've got 2 large ones in the back of that and when it's full of water it still has a lot of weight to it , measure the length of you boat from the back of the cockpit backwards and have a look on ebay , some of them are sold in pairs.

Good luck , Adam

g.azza

Post by g.azza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks both for your interesting and helpful answers.

Yellow boat

Post by Yellow boat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:24 am

Don't the Approach's have a water proof hatch in the rear deck? If they do, don't they have a bulkhead behind the seat? If they do rear air bags aren't needed.

g.azza

Post by g.azza » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:43 am

Yellow boat wrote:Don't the Approach's have a water proof hatch in the rear deck? If they do, don't they have a bulkhead behind the seat? If they do rear air bags aren't needed.
Rookie error... I mean't airbags for the Bow!

Forester

Post by Forester » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:29 pm

You don't really need airbags for the approach as it has sealed bulkhead and no foot plate in the front to hold front airbags in place anyway

adpal

Post by adpal » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:47 pm

It depends on the spec. we've got both sorts at our club 3 10's without and a 9 with.

Adam

g.azza

Post by g.azza » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 am

adpal wrote:It depends on the spec. we've got both sorts at our club 3 10's without and a 9 with.

Adam
I have a 10, can you tell me why you don't use them in your 10's?

What size airbags do you have in the 9?

cheers

adpal

Post by adpal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi sorry been away

What I meant was that the 10's are club spec without the bulkhead , these have 2 air bag's a piece in them , and the 9 is higher spec and has a bulkhead and doesn't need airbag's.
I think ( without going and looking ) the bag's used are a generic large size , don't know the make.

Adam

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”