Where best to mount a camera?

Inland paddling
Saracen12

Where best to mount a camera?

Post by Saracen12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Just bought a camera for filming my paddling and as they are quite popular now wanted to find out where people think it is best to mount camera e.g. front of boat, helmet or back of boat??

I'm guessing helmet although risk of damage if shallow but grateful for advice

Thanks

SimonMW

Re: Where best to mount a camera?

Post by SimonMW » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Helmet is a good place, if you like boring people to death with footage and enjoy looking like a Teletubbie.

Back of the boat on a pole, or front of the boat on a pole is best for boat based footage. Best preference is solidly shot footage from the bank.

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:38 pm

SimonMW wrote:Helmet is a good place, if you like boring people to death with footage and enjoy looking like a Teletubbie.

Back of the boat on a pole, or front of the boat on a pole is best for boat based footage. Best preference is solidly shot footage from the bank.
I prefer helmet to front of boat.

Third person/ pole on back of boat is alright for short videos, and can make for some interesting shots -- but there's nothing really that means it doesn't have any of the issues inherent to headcam videos as well. Pole mounts are always really shaky as well, because the camera will move a long way for any small movement of the boat -- without the natural shock-absorbing power of the human spine. The paddler themself also obstructs a lot of what's ahead, which I find annoying in a lot of cases -- particularly if I'm trying to get an impression of what the river is like! Pole on the front of the boat has all of the disadvantages of the pole on the back, and none of the advantages of actually being an interesting camera angle.

Just some thoughts -- I'm not trying to argue that headmount is the best, just that it shouldn't be discarded.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:42 pm

The best way is to have a mixture of all of them. But most people can't be arsed. Can't blame them.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:56 pm

I could never understand why people put the camera facing them while paddling, what does the watcher get out of that!! and what is it meant to show apart from a few grins and some paddling motions, you may as well be in your living room....I think on a pole or helmet is the way to go as it gives the watcher a sense of what the paddler sees or just being in the moment..But its hard to beat an action shot from the bank when things get interesting or another paddler taking the shots..
Last edited by kayak1 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Can roll ;)

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:31 pm

SimonMW wrote:The best way is to have a mixture of all of them. But most people can't be arsed. Can't blame them.
Yeah, definitely. I think the biggest improvement for least effort is just going to be mixing bank shots in, though!

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:38 am

Chickens are by far the most stable platform.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 am

without the natural shock-absorbing power of the human spine.
That would be true if people kept their head still, but most of the time they are twitching all over the place. Plus it simply isn't a very interesting angle. I disagree about front mounted shots. Seeing human expression is part of what gives a video depth, variety, and interest. Sure, if that was the only angle it would be crap. But you need to vary the angles.

Put simply, I don't want to watch videos that consist of only head cam etc. They hold no interest, the features look small, and it's about as interesting as being forced to watch a mates wedding video.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm

If you look at any decent video you will see it contains a mixture of different camera angles, helmet, pole facing forward, pole facing aft, sometimes deck facing fwd and/or aft, bank footage, footage from another boat, or swimmer or camera on wire, or even footage shot from a drone.

That's not just the pro's, but the best amateurs are doing all these things now too - there is probably still a place for the single angle clip of a big rapid/river to show your mates, but if you want it to be interesting for other than geeky reasons, you need a variety of angles. The cheapest way is to use a single camera and run the thing loads of times filming in different ways, more tolerable for your paddling buddies is to get a bunch of go-pros, time sync them and film all the angles at once - then you can switch angles in the clip keeping the timeline intact (if you desire, it rarely matters if you mess it up a bit) or try split screen or picture in picture effects or other stuff.

Hell, these days you can even set go-pros up to film in tandem and make 3D movies....

The main reasons I have held off from getting into the whole video thing are:
- Really need to plan the movie in advance, work out the shots/clips you want to include and then paddle to get them, even if it means repeating the run a few times.
- To cut down on the number of runs, and enable cool time-synced effects, I would probably want 3 maybe 4 cameras - at least 2 angles on-board and 1 from the bank...
- Need a decent desktop (or really decent laptop) to process the footage
- Need way more spare time to plan, shoot and edit movies.

Of course everyone is looking for something different from a film, but personally I'd rather look at a few really good stills, than a single angle first person video clip with water droplets blurring the picture.
I do watch a lot of single angle first person footage, because that's what everyone has - fortunately most people at least edit it down to just the interesting bits!

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Spot on, Jim.

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:15 pm

I think that having the camera mounted on a pole from the stern is quite a good angle and it lets you see how you are paddling and what your doing wrong,if anything.

Saracen12

Post by Saracen12 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks for all your advice really helpful, I'm going for the chicken strapped to the boat.

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 pm

SimonMW wrote:
without the natural shock-absorbing power of the human spine.
That would be true if people kept their head still, but most of the time they are twitching all over the place. Plus it simply isn't a very interesting angle. I disagree about front mounted shots. Seeing human expression is part of what gives a video depth, variety, and interest. Sure, if that was the only angle it would be crap. But you need to vary the angles.

Put simply, I don't want to watch videos that consist of only head cam etc. They hold no interest, the features look small, and it's about as interesting as being forced to watch a mates wedding video.
Yeah, no I definitely agree with you there. I do think head-mounted shots is the 'basic' way to go, though, and it's perfectly fine for it to form the basis of a video if you don't have the time to set up multiple camera angles -- it's the vanilla ice cream, if you will, of camera mounts. I don't really find that head movement puts me off watching this kind of footage.

I just think front-facing-aft is only ever good for very short clips, if any -- it's just disconcerting to watch a rapid being run like that.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:38 pm

I will say this. If you are going to insist on using a head cam shot, mount the camera far enough forward that you can't see the peak of the helmet (if it's a strutter), and use the 1440 mode and then use GoPro's software to stretch the edges out to the 16:9 ratio.

This gives more height to the picture, with more of the boat hull visible, as well as making things look a bit more panoramic and epic.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Hakase wrote:Yeah, no I definitely agree with you there. I do think head-mounted shots is the 'basic' way to go, though, and it's perfectly fine for it to form the basis of a video if you don't have the time to set up multiple camera angles -- it's the vanilla ice cream, if you will, of camera mounts.
But good Vanilla ice cream (not cheap crap) is the best ice cream.....

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Jim wrote:
Hakase wrote:Yeah, no I definitely agree with you there. I do think head-mounted shots is the 'basic' way to go, though, and it's perfectly fine for it to form the basis of a video if you don't have the time to set up multiple camera angles -- it's the vanilla ice cream, if you will, of camera mounts.
But good Vanilla ice cream (not cheap crap) is the best ice cream.....
I have to say, I'm pretty fond of the stuff myself -- but I think for most people the analogy works!

Although a well done lemon sorbet cannot, as far as I'm concerned, be beaten.

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Give your camera to a friend. Preferably someone way better then u. Attach it to clip on short line so they don't loose it. Allowing them to film the swims and spills Which Inevitably you are going to have :)

Ulsterman81

Post by Ulsterman81 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 am

If not mounting the camera on your helmet, will a remote controlled camera be required? If so, any recommendations for a low budget?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:18 am

...best place is on your mate's drone.
dave

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 am

Or a tripod...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I'll come clean and admit that I'm a hypocrite right now ;-)

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Just mess about and do what you like with your camera.

And do slow mo's for no reason.

Never stop filming.

Always charge the batteries.

Get a Hashtag, and beat it to within an inch of it's existence.

Spam the heck out of soc media.

Learn the rules on music:
a) It's ain't your music, so you gotta give the credits.
b) Nobody listens to techno...

Never watch films, just got straight to comments.

dbpmagazineonline

Post by dbpmagazineonline » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm

In general as many places as possible, and play around as much as possible. The more angles the better, and the more chance you will get that killer shot.

hamster86

Post by hamster86 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Anyone know a good way to mount a gopro on the front of the kayak. There's no good flats to fix a mount without it being wonky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am

Buy a Jackson, they have a GoPro mount on the front deck. :-)

Quite a few of my son's short videos are credited to 'small African boy' (mounted on the bank)

hamster86

Post by hamster86 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 am

I can't afford a African or a jackson 🤣

No where good on a mamba unless i can rig something up on the grab handle

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:26 pm

I think the African boys are cheaper that the Jacksons unless you need to import them.