Absurdly large head looking for helmet

Inland paddling
luzzy_fogic

Absurdly large head looking for helmet

Post by luzzy_fogic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi guys, this is my plea for help.

I have a large head. 63cm circumference to be exact. As far as my research has told me that is 1cm bigger than the biggest kayaking helmet I have managed to find. Currently I'm using a fairly cheap helmet that has already received its fair share of dents and scrapes, this was also recommended for up to 62cm but I managed to squeeze it on at the expense of a couple of headaches while it bedded in (I'm not kidding unfortunately...)

I am now on the market for a more substantial helmet that's going to afford some better protection, I'd rather not break my bank but if it's for a comfy fit - or currently a fit at all - I could push a little. I realise I could buy one slightly small and shave out some of the foam but that's not really what I'd like to do to a brand new helmet.

Please someone tell me there's a helmet out there for me!

Thanks in advance.

ion

Re: Absurdly large head looking for helmet

Post by ion » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:48 pm

I have never tried one but I believe this would work in the XXL:
http://bernunlimited.com/shop/h20/men/watts-skate.html

luzzy_fogic

Post by luzzy_fogic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:11 pm

While I appreciate your taking the time to reply and the effort you have put in to finding a helmet that may well fit my large noggin, a helmet that specifically states "Hard Hats with Brock soft foam do not meet the standards for action sport head protection" is, unfortunately, not for me.

ion

Post by ion » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Trust me, I didn't spend any time on this, it's the option other kayakers with the same problem as you have chosen. There used to be options from Shred Ready and Grateful Heads that also worked for large heads, but they were the old style composite shell and mini-cell liner, and in common with all helmets of that era were largely hand made and also not tested against any standards.
Bern make modern shells with multiple liner options, some comply with many testing standards I believe, many come in an XXL size, I just grabbed you a quick link. Would I rather wear a Sweet helmet for what I normally paddle...yes. Would I carve all the EPS out of a Sweet helmet to make it fit....no.

AGNorwich

Post by AGNorwich » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 pm

My head is 63 cm too. But a Palm AP6000 in size XL-XXL fits, despite being nominally 59-61 cm.

I was horrified to be told in one reputable shop to buy the largest they had (a different model and make), and take a scalpel to the foam until it fitted.

AG

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:36 am

Gath XXL one goes to 64cm i think, i have a 61-62cm head using a sweet strutter

Nick Wainwright

Post by Nick Wainwright » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:31 am

I have an absurdly large head too, as do both of my sons.

The Gath XXL is the largest I have found, just about fits me although a bit tight. Available for couple of years now in UK.
http://gathhelmets.co.uk/?product=gedi

The other helmet I have is carbon composite hand made from Head Trip Helmets in the US. http://www.headtriphelmets.com/kayakhelmets.html
I got one about five years ago. Good value at current £/$ rates, although you'll have to pay duty on arrival.

Nick

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:10 am

62ish here and an XL sweet strutter fits. other sweet helmets don't.

if it s anything like bike helmets its not just the diameter, its the shape. Giro XL's fit me well, Fox are really uncomfortable.

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 pm

FNA Helmets are made to order and pretty bomber.
They come with their own outfitting kit so you can pad it to suit.
I recommend dropping him a message and asking if he can help
http://www.fnaheadgear.com/[url][/url]
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

NicM

Post by NicM » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Being in exactly the same position as you I can relate to the struggle to find a decent helmet. Currently I'm using a Predator Lee helmet in XL, though looking at changing or getting a full face after breaking my nose earlier this year on my local run.

Having done a bit of research and chatting to some of the helpful folk at a paddling shop near Briancon this year I've since found the the Sweet Rocker size varies based on color and that I can fit into a Black one comfortably. The other color's are all to tight in varying degrees from cant get it on my head to just to tight to be comfortable.

Additionally the new WRSI helmet size is different, previously I've been unable to get one on at all, but the new 2014 model fits.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Sweet Wanderer XL is massive!! I wear an XL in the rocker but only a M/L in the wanderer. I know it only says up to 61cm but try one on.

luzzy_fogic

Post by luzzy_fogic » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! Lots of info and ideas to look into :) I no longer feel like a lonely big headed freak, now I know there are others :D.

From the replies it sounds like I need to get myself down to my local shop and just chuck some hats on until one sticks (in plenty of colours). I'll also have a look in to those custom helmets mentioned although my first impression is; it sounds expensive. The Gath helmets also look like a solid bet - I'm sure I'll be able to find a new lid from the plethora of ideas.

Once again thanks for the advice and if anyone else has some ideas please do contribute.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Large swede here, I have scraped and sanded down the inside of a sweet rocker which invalidates the guarantee but works a treat for me. It has taken a number of big hits and have not suffered any head injuries. I am now on my second sweet rocker, first one is four years old. The amount of foam in the shell of the rocker is huge.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

thefryers

Post by thefryers » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 am

Nick Wainwright wrote: The other helmet I have is carbon composite hand made from Head Trip Helmets in the US. http://www.headtriphelmets.com/kayakhelmets.html
Nick,

What is the quality like on these helmets - they look great in the photo's, but what are they like in reality?

Which version / options did you go for?

Cheers,

Graeme

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:51 pm

My head is about 62cm and I have a nighmare trying to find one that fits, as it seems to be a funny shape compared to most helmets. I use a standard WRSI Current Helmet and it fits fine. i found the Sweet helmets particularly painful to try on, and couldn't last more than a couple of minutes wearing one!

paddler_linds

Post by paddler_linds » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:55 pm

I have one of those big unwieldy heads also and am currently using one of these http://www.egalis.store-factory.com/mag ... 293392.htm I am aware that the max size says 61cm, however I am using it with the inner band removed which leaves an upper cradle on the cap and minicell foam round the forehead. I reckon it is around 64cm in this form.

I used to use a palm ap1000 which was an old outdoor centre hat which had the same arrangement, but was a touch smaller and I removed some foam.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown » Tue May 12, 2015 12:25 pm

NicM wrote:Having done a bit of research and chatting to some of the helpful folk at a paddling shop near Briancon this year I've since found the the Sweet Rocker size varies based on color and that I can fit into a Black one comfortably. The other color's are all to tight in varying degrees from cant get it on my head to just to tight to be comfortable.
Is this actually true? Or are they just a bit random? I've had a couple before with no problems but the black L\XL I just bought is too small.

NicM

Post by NicM » Tue May 26, 2015 11:03 am

Peter, It could be a bit random, but that was my finding based upon trying various models and colours. Additionally it also seemed to vary based upon the model year. The model year seemed to be most noticeable on the WRSI helemts. As an example the sweet full face is listed as having a size range upto 61cm for the L/XL, whilst i've found the orange fits my 63cm head ok, more comfortable with the ear pads taken out.

Nick Wainwright

Post by Nick Wainwright » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:05 am

For those with a Grande-sized cranium, note that Gath now do an XXXL (yes, Triple-X L) helmet, which fits me perfectly. I had an XXL which wasn't quite big enough. Fits a 25 inch bonce. I picked mine up in the US from Kayak Academy https://www.kayakacademy.com/ near Seattle when we were picking up rental boats.

Nick

JimT

Post by JimT » Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm

I am an XL and just bought a Gul Evo 2 for less than £40, nice helmet that fits well.

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Mon May 21, 2018 10:01 pm

I was horrified to be told in one reputable shop to buy the largest they had (a different model and make), and take a scalpel to the foam

Why were you horrified. That's what people with huge heads just have to Do, and have done for years.

Quite sweet all these people with62cm giving options. The OP specifically stated that his head is absurdly large. Which in my view is 63cm and above.

Veteran of many a scalpel/ candle/ fag lighter/ hot spoon session

(Currently using an xl go to ski helmet with the lining ripped out and some foam burned off to fit.

62cm, pshaw.

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Mon May 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Cunting phone. XL Giro helmet. Not Go to obvs.

Gawage1

Post by Gawage1 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am

I don't fit Sweet helmets (only just) but find WRSI fit me well

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 am

Bit of an aside - but do you REALLY need a stronger/more protective helmet?

If you want to be warmer, more stylish or whatever then get a different helmet, but is there any real evidence that the the premium helmets prevent head injuries more effectively than the basic ones?

To my mind a lot of the 'enhanced safety' stuff just doesn't stand up. For starters a lot of the premium helmets are carbon/glass composite - it might look cool but in terms of impact resistance they're inferior to polypropylene. That's why they don't make composite creek-boats and it's why those Sweet helmets that everyone likes break ALL THE TIME, even on pathetic little grade three dribbles. The plastic ones take all the same knocks and they never break. Think of all those plastic club helmets getting repeatedly clattered against the bottom of Serprent's tail - do they ever break? They would if they were composite.

Most of the premium helmets have exactly the same foam in them as the basic ones, a few have a bit more - but is that really necessary or helpful? Although hitting your head is very common in kayaking the knocks are relatively slight compared to cycling or snowboarding. I know they feel like they're hard but you're very rarely travelling at more then 10 mph so how hard are they really? Snowboarders wipe out at 50mph and crash into rocks or other snowboarders' heads - I get why they might need some extra foam but that's a whole different thing. The Sweet kayaking helmets are all snowboarding helmets with a very slight re-brand. The character of kayak-based head bashing (frequent smallish knocks) is totally different to that of snowboarding (rare but massive knocks), so how come the helmets are the same?

... and why the **** does anyone paddling in the UK need a peak on their helmet!!!? My experience of that thing is that it serves no purpose except to catch the water and pull your head around when you're upside down. Could it be that some of these people are actually less bothered about being safe than they claim and maybe a bit more bothered about looking like they ride a dirt bike...? There's nothing wrong with enjoying dressing up but let's not pretend it's about safety.

Assuming you get one that covers your ears the basic plastic helmets protect every part of your head that needs protecting and they never fail. If you wan't a different helmet for some other reason then have at it, but there's no good reason to think you'll be any safer.

Even if a 'better' helmet did make you marginally safer kit is only a tiny part of overall safety, the great big huge (almost all of it) part is skills - manoeuvring, rolling, river reading. People don't like to think about that though because you can't buy skills - you can only buy kit.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Sun May 27, 2018 9:20 am

The peak stops my nose from burning, as I can’t wear my normal brimmed hat when I’ve got my helmet on.

Franky

Post by Franky » Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 pm

The plastic helmets I've used didn't have any foam at all, but a plastic cap over over the crown of the head. I would have thought that this is a less effective way of dissipating impact stress than a thick layer of foam. It's certainly a lot less comfortable, and a lot less warm.

It's very well as a (presumably) advanced paddler to say that kit is only a "tiny part" of overall safety, but I'd like to meet the advanced paddler who got where they are without either decent kit or serious injuries.

My Sweet Rocker has had lots of knocks on "pathetic little grade 3 dribbles", and a fair few on grade 4 dribbles, and it is still in one piece after two years.

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I know lots of paddlers who've had serious (ish) injuries - broken backs, broken bones, dislocations. Not a one of them could have been prevented by 'better' kit.

The only injury that I can think of where kit would have made a difference is smashed teeth - but that's a whole other debate.

Franky

Post by Franky » Sun May 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I was disputing your claim that "kit is only a tiny part of overall safety". Unless you meant something different from what you wrote, I can't agree with that from either experience or observation. If it were the case, we wouldn't need helmets at all.

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Those are my words - and they're right.

I guess to be more accurate I should have said 'the slight differences between different types of kit' Obviously if you didn't wear a helmet at all that would be silly - but one helmet to another..? That's a tiny fraction of a small part.
Last edited by Mike79 on Sun May 27, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:23 pm

simultaneous typing - sorry. M

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”