modern technology and kayaking

Inland paddling
mark Hirst

modern technology and kayaking

Post by mark Hirst »

I am currently writing an article based on how Modern technology has changed our whole kayaking experience.
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on this.

Are we now to reliant on modern technology. Can we get on the river with out a mobile phone or go pro.

I would really like to know how much how much technology has changed our approach to kayaking

many thanks
Mark
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

paddler_linds

Re: modern technology and kayaking

Post by paddler_linds »

I am surprised at the lack of response to this so far, however, for me I don't think it has changed it that much. I am still paddling plastic boats albeit the shape and size has changed drastically, I am still wearing a wetsuit and a cag and paddles aren't that different, just a bit lighter.

What has changed is I arrive in a nicer car, am bombarded with ever glossier marketing and watch relentless progress on videos of cavalier blokes doing new moves to make their videos more interesting than the guy before them.

Technology will never take over the simple essence of kayaking, which is just messing about on water with some mates and challenging yourself to do something less pedestrian than a life in front of Coronation Street.

Chris_Eastabrook

Post by Chris_Eastabrook »

Couple of things over the last 5-10 years have made a positive difference to me:
Better weather forecasting, river gauging and online river guide resources both home and away on my smart phone (given signal) often means there much less faffing about to actually getting to a river, which for me is great.
Use of cameras and tablets for coaching feedback and analysis. Given the right scenario this is fantastic resource that all coaches should think about.

banzer

Post by banzer »

Agree with Chris re. the gauges. And using FB groups to reach a wider range of paddling buddies so potentially more chance of having someone to go with when it suits you.

Otherwise, not essentially different to when I started twelve-ish years ago. I've had a GoPro but lost it. I sometimes take a camera, sometimes not. Don't usually take a mobile. Boats are still plastic and paddles, well ok maybe a bit nicer but they do the same thing!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

The paddling itself, not so much since tupperware.

I stopped paddling for about 10 years and when I started again in 2009, technology had really changed lots of non-paddling aspects:
- Online gauges – saving wasted time
- Internet forums – for discussions
- Online paddle buddies – greater network of paddle pals
- GPS navigation - Less time finding rivers
– Google earth - for seeking out new rivers
- Videos of every river - online scouting
- Cameras and vids of your own paddling - for assessment
- Online shopping - for those not close to gear shops
dave

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

The biggest thing I have noticed is the invention of the GoPro and social media.

For example Norway 10 years ago was seen as a destination for the hardcore skilled boaters. Now every man and his dog appears to go, and they are paddling stuff that appeared in Valhalla and orgasmo vids (think thats the correct names). It can't be because rivers have got easier and boats havent changed that much in 10 years. So either the population of kayakers has increased 10 fold or that videos and pics on social media have made it look attainable.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

For me, the big advance in the past decade or so is the access to information about paddling. As styles develop, we can all find out about that instantly from the latest videos and internet discussion etc...

Once we are on the water, not much has changed other than that it would now be considered negligent to not carry a mobile phone on the water whereas ten years ago that probably wasn't the case.

Online gauges help to an extent. Just last week a well known coach was sitting in my living room and proclaimed "with internet gauges, I can't understand how anyone ends up on a river that is too high or too low these days." The next day we got on a river that was too low....

mark Hirst

Post by mark Hirst »

HI Guys

Many thanks for the responses so far. The article is coming along nicely I already have some contributions from Dave Manby,Shane Benedict, etc

The most important contributors are the likes of us the everyday boaters.

I am going to tackle the hardest section last which will be how the internet and social media have changed boating.

A sideline though I had the other day is

Has modern technology changed our attitude to river running ?

Thanks again
Mark
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

PolecatApollo

Post by PolecatApollo »

Next trip out im sticking my new 'vibration speaker' to the inside of my dry hatch. Bit of drum and bass for the rapids...

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder »

The use of dry suits and drycags etc has made paddling a whole lot less masochistic in cold weather and cold water than when I started paddling!!! This must have had a huge effect on paddling practice as well as comfort. It is not such a big deal being upside down when you don't get the flush of cold water down the neck like with old cags. This in turn means you can spend longer doing more extreme paddling and also don't get chilled to the bone whilst inspecting and doing safety cover.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Social media seems to have turned a lot of my kayaking into canoeing - does that count :)

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey »

Relatively recent advances in composite materials and building techniques have made a significant difference to slalom kayaks; they are now strong and rigid as well as being light (they are also a lot more expensive!).

The park and play experience has been greatly enhanced by the advent of pumped artificial courses. It is fairly simple now to find somewhere with a specified water level at a particular time. Internet information is obviously a factor in this.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

Not "technology" as such, but it's interesting to see how much some kit has changed...

http://iboutdoor.com/a-blast-from-the-past/
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”