Let down by Canoe England?

Inland paddling
tam

Let down by Canoe England?

Post by tam » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:27 pm

If, like me, you've been let down by Canoe England as either a coach or a paddler you have three choices:

1- Let them take your membership fees and dictate what you WILL accept.

2. Everyone who's been let down by Canoe England/British Canoeing forces a vote of no confidence

3. We start an alternative association to CE/BC

The choice is ours, either sit back and accept or get active!

@canoeenglandlud

http://canoeenglandletusdown.blogspot.co.uk

Dave Manby

Re: Let down by Canoe England?

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:26 pm

or turn up to the agm and vote? I

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Anyone else having a sense of deja vu?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:48 pm

I am sure there are many different stories with the role out of the BCU's UKCC coaching scheme. Note a lot of the policy coming through is from UKCC, the BCU or CE implement it. Sadly the sports coaching role frame works poorly beyond flat water, and the resulting environmental specific awards are outside the UKCC scheme, but pegged to it are not what was hoped for. The rules set for providers of UKCC are every stricter leaving them to increasingly being the realm of commercial providers. The latest intake of UKCC L2 providers need their NVQ Assessor Level 3 training, which certainly will be selecting many out of the provider-ship.

There are several things wrong with the current scheme, such as no expert level award nor direct access to your individual level of competence, yet UKCC L1 and L2 coaches are in essence better coaches than the old L1 and L2 awards, and the more numerous 4 and 5 Star Leadership paddlers are better prepared and even the UKCC L3 is welcomed for those coaches looking at developing paddlers of the longer term.

For myself it is the failure of the MWE and AWE to not be thorough enough, perceived as a bolt-on. The skills and knowledge gap between the relative leadership award and comprehension for coaching in the desired environment was simply assumed to be a few dozen river trips and some coaching sessions experience away. The lack of any developed performance model demanded from the trainee coaches, and little excellence required in their own performance, means mediocre examples and understanding are common place. After all a white water coach is to be many things, but a great example and an affective safety kayaker are the corner stones of working in that environment.

KrisH

Post by KrisH » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Simon, in your opinion, where does the UKCC L2 coach sit in relation to the old BCU system?

I've heard talk from people of it being the equivalent to the old level 3, but have also had comments from that is closer to the old level 4 due the more in depth, technical nature of the coaching / teaching skills, and theory behind them now included in the UKCC scheme as opposed to the paddling ability based old levels

Have the BCU offered any insight into what they see the equivalent levels between the 2 schemes are ?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 pm

KrisH wrote:Simon, in your opinion, where does the UKCC L2 coach sit in relation to the old BCU system?

I've heard talk from people of it being the equivalent to the old level 3, but have also had comments from that is closer to the old level 4 due the more in depth, technical nature of the coaching / teaching skills, and theory behind them now included in the UKCC scheme as opposed to the paddling ability based old levels

Have the BCU offered any insight into what they see the equivalent levels between the 2 schemes are ?
Most informed coach educators and centre managers would conclude that UKCC L2 is certainly of more value and produces better coaches than the old BCU L2. The UKCC L2 & BCU L2 are comparable awards in terms of the intended environment they are to work in. In terms of the thoroughness of coach education input, the UKCC L2 surpasses the old BCU L3, but the former is for flat water and the later for Class II white water. The old BCU L4 required no assessment nor training in the intended environment of Class III/IV, but did demand a 2 day classroom course in coaching process. The depth of this course depended on the individual provider, and there was no insistence of this information application or its evaluation. Thus with the old BCU L4 its quite easy is surmise without an assessment that this award was not a robust standard with too much creditability.

Still all that aside, the kind of experience needed to arrive at being competent on Class III/IV is significant to that of passing the UKCC L2. I find the bolt on awards of MWE and AWE does not attempt to join up the dots of what is demanded within the environments. Just an assumption that the river leader qualification with some coaching competence is sufficient. Where as the old BCU L3 at least was a fair and reasoned standard that relied on a more holistic view of the award, and not a systematic compartmental examination of its components. One look at NVQ and its demand for evidence of behaviours, and you see where the current assessment paradigm has been driving from. In adventurous environments, judgements based in situ formed from experience, make the kind of river leaders I wish to follow and the coaches I wish to see.

tam

Post by tam » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:35 am

I do agree with Simon, however, the problem (not just my opinion) that I've heard from too many coaches is the CE are too insular and not making what used to be accessible to everyone else just their special friends.

I personally have cancelled my CE England membership renewal so I'm not wasting any more money with them, the question is will everyone accept what they're saying, keep moaning g and still be unhappy or are we going to do something about it?

De ja vu? Yes probably!

tam

Post by tam » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm

KrisH wrote:Simon, in your opinion, where does the UKCC L2 coach sit in relation to the old BCU system?

Dave, you are right, however, we do need all disaffected coaches and paddlers to turn up on mass for the Mutiny on the Bounty!

tam

Post by tam » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Dave Manby wrote:or turn up to the agm and vote? I
Let's even try and quote the right comment, apologies!

Dave, you are right, however, we do need all disaffected coaches and paddlers to turn up on mass for the Mutiny on the Bounty!