quicky

Charity Steam Paddle for Muscular Dystrophy

Post by quicky »

Just a little bump,

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 1&t=110642

Charity Steam Paddle
CHARITY PADDLE FOR MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY.
Llangollen 18th OCT 2014.

The idea is to raise over £10,000 on the Saturday 18th Oct 2014 by having a paddle down the River Dee from Glyndyfrdwy to the Horseshoe Falls and then by canal to Llangollen.

The neat bit about this is the paddlers will be transported to the put-in by STEAM TRAIN. I have booked the train to do two runs of 200 paddlers on each run up the valley.

(You can bid on the auction for the right to drive the train too!) So tickets are limited to maximum of 400 people.

The event is planned for open boats but there is no reason why you can’t paddle your kayak, sit-on-top, duckie, or stand-up-paddleboard down the river.
Should be a good do!
On top of this there will be

SPIKEDRIVERS playing train inspired blues on the platform (and a gig in the Sun Inn in the evening).
SAMMY of MERBUS will also be providing a musical soundtrack during the event.
An exhibition of VINTAGE CANOES and kayaks on the platform provided by Graham Mackereth of Pyranha Mouldings.
A lecture by PHIL HARWOOD about his full descent of the CONGO RIVER in a Mad River Canoe (never was a canoe more suitably named).
Chance to DRIVE THE TRAIN – 4 driver slots will be up for auction nearer the date.
The Llangollen Food Fair is on the same weekend.
There is a “real ale train” in the evening too – if you have not had enough of steam train travel.
Safety cover and chaperone service for the less experienced paddlers.
Anything else that may crop up as ideas develop! Exhibition of Birds of Prey/Owls. Tour of the NEW CHAIN BRIDGE if finished in time!
I hope to be able to provide some canoes for people who don’t have their own.

steam

This is a great weekend for A REUNION of people you did a trip with, went to Uni with, worked with in the summer, etc..
£60 a ticket. Trains don’t come cheap!

I’m not organising anything for the Sunday but why not stay the night and either paddle on down the canal over the two aqueducts through the two tunnels to England and the Poacher’s Pocket pub for lunch, spend the day mountain biking at Llandegla centre, take a leisurely hike up to Dinas Bran the castle

Dave Manby

Re: Charity Steam Paddle for Muscular Dystrophy

Post by Dave Manby »

Dam - I've just been to see the train people to try and get the train times and they tell me that they have a policy now of "no footplate passengers" - so no train driving slots available for auction - SORRY. Couldn't get the train times either! The operations manager has to sort that out and he's a volunteer (and won't be in till the weekend probably)

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

OK now we know train times

Llangollen station
9.45am for the 1st train RED tickets and 11.30am for the 2nd train GREEN tickets.

Tickets get you into the train to the put-in where there will be
- Lunch (hog roast or veggie biriani)
- Music from the SpikeDrivers and Sammy Stephens
- Exhibition of vintage canoes and kayaks
- Exhibition and display of birds of prey
- safety and chaperone cover for the less experienced.

AND in the evening entry into the Town Hall for
- Lecture by Phil Harwood about his expedition down the Congo River
- Auction of all sorts of stuff: weekend accommodation in Aldeburgh, 4 pints in the Ponsonby, free entry into Pinc Ffloyd tribute band at the Sun Inn Llangollen, dinner for two at Gales WIne Bar, Sea Specs sunglasses, Palm stuff, mystery boxes, hand made timber canoe.

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete »

I'm game to take part, but depending on the weather I might need my tether (it's quite heavy to carry on my back). Would anyone going my way be able give me a lift (contribution to expenses naturally). Another opportunity to blatantly defy Welsh Dee Partnerships' Rule 16 - "No wild swimming".

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

If you are thinking of coming to the Steam Train Paddle event on the Dee October 18th - then can you let me know (especially if you are going to need a boat)! I need to sort out food order for the lunch (included in your ticket price as is the lecture and other entertainments), parking, toilets, etc. Good cause, good event and good to show the locals what open access could achieve!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Sounds awesome. Wish I could get there.
dave

Wildswimmer Pete

Dave Manby wrote:If you are thinking of coming to the Steam Train Paddle event on the Dee October 18th - then can you let me know (especially if you are going to need a boat)! I need to sort out food order for the lunch (included in your ticket price as is the lecture and other entertainments), parking, toilets, etc. Good cause, good event and good to show the locals what open access could achieve!
I'd buy a ticket but I don't know whether I could make it there. Logistics: I don't have personal transport (my motorcycling career was abruptly terminated by my stroke) so I have to take three buses to get to Llangollen (I can't even use my English bus pass in Wales) and the journey takes about 3 hours each way. I can travel by rail to either Ruabon or Chirk when the journey takes only about an hour, but again I need to be certain that I can be picked up and subsequently deposited at said stations. I don't need a boat and I can pay for my lunch so would be happy to make a pro rota donation on the day. I'm not able to walk any distance because I'll be carrying my winter swimming kit (helmet, gloves and heavyish neoprene boots) and my harness and safety line on my back.

Wildswimmer Pete

flipt

Post by flipt »

Pete, outside of shop hours I don't mind picking you up from train station and dropping back. Outside that I'm 99% sure there's a ruabon to Llangollen bus.
Gradientfood.com - a sandwich bar in Llangollen.

quicky

Post by quicky »

WDP now taking credit for Dave manbys charity Paddle in there newsletter. How low can you get.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

OK I know what paddlers are like - leave it to the last minute dot com - as the rivers might be up elsewhere etc. But as I have had so few bookings, only around 40 paid up so far, if you are thinking of coming then let me know before I cancel the first of the two trains (I've booked two trips for the train). I'm cancelling the 1st train on Thursday otherwise.

It is a good deal for your money. I know £60 sounds high but you get the train ticket entertainment at the put-in: exhibition of vintage boats, music, owls, hawks, buzzards and other birds of prey, lunch, lecture by Phil Harwood, auction, more music, and a great social event.

Oh and of course money goes to a great cause.

A lot is being to be made of this event as a for and a against argument for the Dee River Partnership. It is neither - it is an event to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy Campaign - and a good excuse to gather for a beer and a chat. Hell it is the time of year to start plans for next year!

I feel as always that the more people who paddle the Dee and spend their money in Llangollen the better our case for paddling is. It always makes me wonder why there are so few people paddling the Dee when it is up.

Wildswimmer Pete

How did things go today? I wanted to come to Llangollen but I've had a bad chest all this past week so all the swimming I've done has been twice in the Weaver, close to base.

Wildswimmer Pete

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Sun came out it was 19 degrees the river was at a great level the SpikeDrivers were superb on the field at the put in and at the Sun in the evening. Oh and Phil's lecture had loads of people talk afterwards stunning day. Yet to do the accounts but I hope not to make a loss. Pete sorry about your chest infection but really you missed a great day.

Wildswimmer Pete

Thanks Dave and Phil, glad it went well. I intended to go up to Friday evening but with my wheezing chest I thought it best to forgo a 40-mile sojourn on public transport. I didn't want to spread my germs to all and sundry, or even worse, catch someone else's on top of mine.

I'll have to get down one day, even better my mate might have a lorry delivery in North Wales and if we go through Llangollen he could drop me off and I could have a chat - I'll be able to get back on public transport.
Dave Manby wrote: OK I know what paddlers are like - leave it to the last minute dot com
Tell me about it - wild swimmers are just as bad.

Wildswimmer Pete

StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Dave,
Sincere thanks for a great day yesterday, my son Ryan and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment:-
Great idea for the steam train ride to the put in,
superb band with a very tasty lunch.
Graham's exhibition of classic canoes stirred memories of my slalom days in the 80's.
Lovely scenery, sunshine and a nice paddle on the Dee.
Phil's talk on the Congo was inspirational and everything in aid of a very worthy cause.
All very friendly too.
Well done!

Steve Warnock

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”