Smelly helmet

Inland paddling
66quinny66

Smelly helmet

Post by 66quinny66 »

Yes, I realise I'm leaving myself wide open here...
My previous helmet was a Gath Gedi with foam inserts. Gets wet, goes in the garage, comes out, no problem. Done the same thing with my Sweet Wanderer and it's starting to get a bit whiffy. What's the best way of dealing with this?

Liz S

Re: Smelly helmet

Post by Liz S »

You could wash it in the bath with a bit of washing powder/liquid if it really smells. Just give it a swish about then rinse and then leave it to dry in the garden.I rinse all my stuff in the bath(just water) and dry it outside and it never smells rivery.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee »

Milton sterilising stuff might be worth a go too. Local outdoor spot uses it on their wetsuits

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler »

I never use a harsh detergent on the helmet or any of my kit. Big bucket of warm water with Sanex ( bath soap ), Savlon disinfectant, & a good squirt of Olbas, the latter making the kit smell good......particularly the helmet!

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

You wash your helmets why? A bit of a smelly helmet never hurt anyone in fact its a sign it being regularly used.

James :)

Post by James :) »

I <3 this forum

Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Baby shampoo. Job done. Or you could spray your helmet with fabreeze. Should stop people complaining about the wiff .:-D

osb

Post by osb »

I get mine checked thoroughly every day or so.

I prefer to use a free service which has an element of reciprocation involved. I understand that there are paid-for equivalents, but would be wary of the standard of the cleaning equipment if I ever had to use such a service.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”