Extreme edge whilst boofing

Inland paddling
Mark R

Extreme edge whilst boofing

Post by Mark R »

Seen this in a few films recently...paddler keeling over past tipping point and then making the boof stroke. What's it all about?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Bren o

Re: Extreme edge whilst boofing

Post by Bren o »

Daniel DeLaVergne invented this move way back in the day for hard to boof sloping drops and for dealing with "curler boof" scenarios. It has a couple names - "The flying DeLaVergne", "Ear touch boof", "E.G Lean" etc
I think E.G, Pat Keller, Rush etc have all taken it and made it way more popular over the past couple of years and added their own style to it.

It's been applied to so many different drops and has so many different variations, for me asides from the style points, it's also my favorite initiation of a stern tap boof and a great way to 45 a taller drop.

Hope that makes sense,
See you on the water dude!

Onecar

Post by Onecar »

initiation of a stern tap boof and a great way to 45 a taller drop.

Hope that makes sense
Maybe it's cos I'm getting on in years but that's about as clear as mud.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Mark R wrote:Seen this in a few films recently...paddler keeling over past tipping point and then making the boof stroke. What's it all about?
In almost all instances I've seen, it's just about showing off. Innit?

Although back in the day of slicey boats this is kind of how everyone boofed isn’t it – or an extreme version of it at any rate?
I certainly used to stick the boat on edge to sink the tail and lift the bow. Never at 90° to the water, but it’s the same principle.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

I guess you can unwind your body more, so give more torsional twist and get a real powerful push to do a big boof.

Hakase

Post by Hakase »

I think it mainly helps with getting the bow up -- just the same as initiating a cartwheel in playboating (I think this is also partly what Bren O meant when he said a "way to 45 a taller drop").
I suppose it might also let you put a bit more of the power from unwinding your torso directly into the boof stroke, but I'm not sure how much difference that'd make.
Onecar wrote:
initiation of a stern tap boof and a great way to 45 a taller drop.

Hope that makes sense
Maybe it's cos I'm getting on in years but that's about as clear as mud.
to 45 a drop -- I believe this refers to the entry angle into the water at the bottom, so you'd be aiming to enter the water at the bottom at an angle of 45 degrees.
As for the stern tap boof, asides from the obvious stern tapping element, I've no idea.

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 »

What's it all about?
Don't know but it looks brilliant. Wish I could do it. Maybe a bit like getting your knee down on a motorbike. At first only the top notch racers like Kenny Roberts (back in early 70's) could do it then others copied then everybody realised it was the right way to maximise speed and stability. So everybody started doing it . Maybe it will end up a legitimate stroke to coach for advanced paddling!

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

It does allow you to plant the blade much further down the drop to get more purchase on those sloping drops. There can't be many instances where that it is critical though. I suspect that most folk do it for the best reason of all: 'cos it's fun.

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Mark, next time we go boating I will teach you how to do this funky s!#*

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

I've seen a couple of accidental, yet impressive, extreme examples...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=277835312385747
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

I get it when you are approaching the drop at an angle (so the lean helps open up a bigger area to place the paddle) and I also get it when the drop allows you to flare the boat. I think the arc you create on the lead in helps with the lean, a bit like leaning into a ski turn.

I don't get it for when you are on a straight approach drop (which are rare to be fair).

Jim

Post by Jim »

David Fairweather wrote:It does allow you to plant the blade much further down the drop to get more purchase on those sloping drops. There can't be many instances where that it is critical though. I suspect that most folk do it for the best reason of all: 'cos it's fun.
I'll buy that.
I have run a few drops where the slope of the lip made it difficult to get an ideal stroke in so I can see where that would make sense.

The drop that most readily springs to mind is Triple 3 on the Etive - not an issue in a kayak, but for a right hander in a canoe needing a cross-deck boof stroke the water is a king long way off! Trouble is, rotating a canoe to 90 degrees on the off side is not practical either.... Some reckon attempting a cross-deck boof sets the boat up well enough anyway, but my own approach is just to straight line the drop and try to run it fast without a boof into an on-side low brace - which has worked all 3 times I've tried it!

It would probably work well at right angle falls, but I still reckon you very rarely want to boof that unless a broken back is your primary goal.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

I think that there is a benefit in that you can put more of your weight through the blade and make a more powerful stroke.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

It's worth noting that the ear dip can be taken too far.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

Whitey1 wrote:
What's it all about?
Don't know but it looks brilliant. Wish I could do it. Maybe a bit like getting your knee down on a motorbike. At first only the top notch racers like Kenny Roberts (back in early 70's) could do it then others copied then everybody realised it was the right way to maximise speed and stability. So everybody started doing it . Maybe it will end up a legitimate stroke to coach for advanced paddling!
Still have the scar on my knee from my determination to get my knee down at every opportunity, forgot I was wearing jeans round the Catford oneway, Doh!

I reckon its just a way to get more sponsor stickers in any given photo?
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

banzer

Post by banzer »

David Fairweather wrote:It's worth noting that the ear dip can be taken too far.
Still makes me chuckle... sometimes you see it coming, sometimes you don't!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

tobym

Post by tobym »

Nah, technically that's more of a navel dip (and head-rudder), different stroke altogether.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Unfortunately Mat made a rookie mistake the other week as I approached in my yellow Ocoee and capsized to my off side just before the lip - he put the gopro down and picked up his throwline!
I mean, why would you do that anyway? Matt and Ken had throwlines and he had a perfect opportunity of getting a companion photo to go with that one! Even the same colour boat!
Apparently I ended up vertical in the hole for ages with my back on view to the onlookers but my head underwater waiting for it to calm down... I know I felt it go back under the fall eventually and then I got out!

I landed it on my next attempt though :-)

Snakey jake

Post by Snakey jake »

Hi Mark,
I guess I can shed a little light on this as its me in the photo. Like wise I have also seen it in the videos etc over past few years and thought it looked cool, which has led me to play around with the 'ear dip' myself. I was doing it here mainly cos its just really fun to do and feels good. You can obviously do just a normal boof here and achieve the same result in clearing the sticky hole bellow.

From a technique point of few it certainly does not work on every drop/fall. The move requires power in the water to work well. The drop in the photo is a slopping body of water and this allows you to put the paddle in nice and early and then have purchase on the paddle for a long time, this then allows you to lean over on the blade and start pulling for a long time period (relative). Keeping the torque on the paddle for a longer time gives you a lot of control, like wise having a long movement to pull through on gives you a big amount of potential energy to release.
The bit I find really quite interesting is the corkscrew action of the boat seems to have a certain effect in pushing the boat flat and out from the falls, it feels very different and I think when used right can be very effective. I currently feel for me it only works on drops which have some depth and power to them, so its not something I tend to use if their is an obvious strike ledge to hook my paddle on, unless the water/rock is very tilted then I aim to match my boat angle to the feature anyways.

Overal I would say I currently use it more for the feeling and the fun of it, but I do think it could become more of the usual paddle style on certain drops in years to come for paddlers of a certain ability.

Hope that helps with your question.

Jake

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Tried it Sunday on a 20+ footer. Started great. Didn't end so well…

dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”