tees greta - access

Inland paddling
dblakeley6

tees greta - access

Post by dblakeley6 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:58 am

hi, I had a great day paddleing the river Greta (tees) how ever when I came back for car I discovered a notice from land owner about access on his land and how the owner is reporting kayakers for trespassing. he seems to be worried about his fence, Im wondering what say we have in access to the greta as it is a fab river weather we could put an agreement in for a gate or something so we are allowed to continue using the get in. or what other possible get ins there are?

thanks
duncan

SimonMW

Re: tees greta - access

Post by SimonMW » Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 am

Would be worth speaking to him, definitely.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik » Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 am

I live in upper Swaledale, and often pass that way on a weekend... passed that way yesterday actually. You often see ridiculous numbers of paddlers cars parked at the get in at Rutherford. There were about 12 cars there at one point yesterday. Farmers use the narrow lanes with tractors, or vehicles pulling trailers. The bit where paddlers park are the wide bits before the single lane bridge, space that is used by vehicles waiting to cross the bridge if something else is coming in the other direction. If two tractors met in the lane there with all those paddlers cars parked they would have to choose whether to have one reverse up a blind summit, or the other reverse over a narrow bridge and up a hill round a hairpin bend until they could pass. I can completely understand how thoughtless parking has p****d the locals off.

Knowing the locals, any communication will only inflame them more. I suggest a discretion is the answer. Get changed elsewhere, minimum cars at the get in. The parking is much better at either get out... Morrit Arms, or the Lido anyway. Be discreet and prove that paddlers aren't a problem.
I have a dog, his name is Erik.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon May 26, 2014 11:15 am

Knowing the locals, any communication will only inflame them more.
Reasonable discussion and a more formal approach shouldn't inflame things. Why should discussing a solution be inflammatory? Look at the farmer by the Swale who has honesty box parking. He saw an opportunity and used it to his advantage. No reason that some sort of arrangement can't be made in an effort to keep all happy.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik » Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 pm

SimonMW wrote:
Knowing the locals, any communication will only inflame them more.
Reasonable discussion and a more formal approach shouldn't inflame things. Why should discussing a solution be inflammatory? Look at the farmer by the Swale who has honesty box parking. He saw an opportunity and used it to his advantage. No reason that some sort of arrangement can't be made in an effort to keep all happy.
This is an entirely different situation to the upper Swale as there is no public right of way to access the river at Rutherford Bridge. Form the landowners point of view, on top of thoughtless parking, paddlers have then gone on to commit an act of trespass, then damage the fences etc. So, in the eyes of the farmers, these people come along and do all that then expect to have a reasonable discussion. Good luck with that!

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon May 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Unless you have actually tried a formal approach to solve the issue then I am afraid your opinion on what "might" be the response is merely speculation.

Mad_Erik

Post by Mad_Erik » Mon May 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Well, I am quite aware of the general attitude of Yorkshire farmers in the area, my father is one a couple of miles from Rutherford.

Spoke to one of the local paddlers who was on the river yesterday. They have never had a problem before. As usual, they left no vehicles at the get in monopolising the lane, and were discreet.

Today there is still evidence of boats being dragged down the field. This might seem insignificant to non-country people, but would make the farmers blood boil, the grass is a crop of food for the sheep. The noise and people indiscreetly getting changed have also been noted by the locals.

Seems like people have come along and caused a problem where there wasn't one before. I really think the land owner/locals have a point this time. Surely paddlers should look to modify their own behaviour rather than cause a problem, then demand a solution to a problem that didn't exist previously?

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Mon May 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Modifying behaviour and being more discreet isn't going to help if the landowner is rather narked at you being there in the first place.

On the other hand if a formal approach was made by a group to ask nicely if the farmer would allow permissive access to cross his land to get to the river, then other things could be put in place, such as more official signage requesting that boaters do not drag their boats across the grass etc and to be considerate with parking (even better if there is a place reserved to allow better placed parking).

None of this can even be attempted unless you actually talk to the landowners.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Isn't there an access point a bit further upstream just outside Bowes? Is there any reason why this isn't being used more often/as the normal get in?

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue May 27, 2014 6:36 am

What is needed in this kind of situation is some kind of formal national association, who can approach landowners on behalf of paddlers, without being seen as the people who have caused the trouble, to negotiate a solution that's better for everybody. (I'm talking about permission to cross private land, not use of the water). Given that the BCU (or whatever they are now called) say they want to support paddlers, it might be worth asking them?

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 am

Big Henry wrote:Isn't there an access point a bit further upstream just outside Bowes? Is there any reason why this isn't being used more often/as the normal get in?
It adds about 5km of fairly flat water with one dodgy weir, so most people don't bother, but you can access directly from the footpath to the river there.

I think there might be a bit of trolling/ voicing opinions by hiding behind an "anonymous" user names here, please think before you post.

I have already stated my opinion on this in the relevant river thread. I was in a group there on Sunday (and Saturday), but there were three large groups getting on at similar times, which will always cause an issue with limited parking. Leaving as few cars at the top as possible and not parking in the passing spaces will mitigate this. I think inconsiderate parking will rile the landowner far more than walking 50m along the border of a filed of thistle-covered grass and climbing the solid wooden fence adjacent to the bridge.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Onecar

Post by Onecar » Tue May 27, 2014 1:50 pm

I was on here myself a couple of months ago and a large group of Uni paddlers were there leaving quite a few cars at the get on.
But more worryingly they all accessed the river on the up stream side of the bridge river left which has a barbed wire fence up the side of it.
I can completely see how climbing the fence on that side of the bridge plus inconsiderate parking would upset the locals. It's only a short shuttle by road and very easy to get changed at the take out and leave a minimum number of cars at the put on.

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Fri May 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Is`nt there a public footpath running up the side of the river . Certainly looks like it on here.
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Paul

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”