Kayak Insurance?

Inland paddling
Lancs_lad

Kayak Insurance?

Post by Lancs_lad » Fri May 16, 2014 10:49 pm

Anyone ever claimed for a broken/split boat on the BCU insurance (towergate)? I know a couple of friends who have but not sure exactly what they said. I say this as I have just read the policy wording and it specifiaclly says they dont cover damage due to wear and tear.

Policy Wording

Mark Dixon

Re: Kayak Insurance?

Post by Mark Dixon » Sat May 17, 2014 7:09 am

Got £750 for my creeker when my lad smashed it up, they were very easy to deal with and after a letter from local supplier and a few photos they didnt send an assessor to see, I dont know about wear and tear but if its not broke I dont think they'l pay out.
Mark

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Sun May 18, 2014 1:30 pm

I understand that.

However, could they not argue a split boat is caused by wear and tear. Which 9 times out of 10 in reality it is.

mantamx

Post by mantamx » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:07 pm

i claimed a boat with them too; they do make a small reduction from 'new' price to account for depreciation, but if the damage itself (split) is caused by impact, seem to be pretty stright-forward and easy to deal with (don't give the 'crack is repairable' stuff either). i did not even have a local shop letter (the crack was real bad though)

RizzRat

Post by RizzRat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:48 am

Claimed for a large creeker with a split (2 years old) through impact and a lost paddle in Slovenia. No quibbles.

(We did say the split was from a grade 2 rather than the grade 4 it was actually on - just in case)
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am

It's simple, don't try to make a fraudulent claim, explain exactly what happened and let the insurer decide.

If you treat your boats badly assuming you can always get them replaced by your insurance, then you are abusing the system - you should save your insurance premiums and put the money towards the cost of replacing your boats as and when you wear them out...

lofty276

Post by lofty276 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I Claimed for a pair of H20 paddles I lost after a swim in the French Alps.
I just told them very basic details about where it happened and they gave market value for them after I sent them proof of purchase (copy of card statement)
Towergate, were really easy to deal with and got the money within a week of the claim. they never asked for anything more than what I told them in my original email.

A friend of mine just received £550 after he split his nomad on the Tryweryn of all places. He had bought it second hand and again all they wanted was proof of purchase and they gave him back market value. Which was exactly what we paid for his replacement Nomad a week later haha.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”