Alps- Water Levels

Inland paddling
PaddleSlapper

Re: Alps- Water Levels

Post by PaddleSlapper » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 pm

While I'm here I should warn you all about the Swiss Police.

A few years ago, we parked in a lay-by by what I remember was the guidebook put-in for the Giarsun Gorge on the Inn. This involved a 20m or so walk through long grass to get to the river, and there was a worn track through this that we followed. We'd got on here a day or so earlier with no problems but this time a police car pulled up within five minutes of us arriving. I can't say for sure that one of the locals rang the police when they saw us pass by, but it did feel like it at the time.

Turns out, in a country with no crime, the police spend their time keeping people off the meadows. I just remember this genuinely upset policeman kept saying "Look!, look what you've done to the meadow!" like we'd just drawn a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

Anyway, he didn't fine us, but pointed us a kilometre down the river to the 'official' put-in which had parking and a portaloo laid on for kayakers.

Duncan

Yew

Post by Yew » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:So to sum up what should we have in our cars while in Austria? (officially and unofficially)
Alongside the AA Summary for europe, they do a more detailled summary for each country, I've got them all in a folder for my co-pilot to have for reference.

boater rich

Post by boater rich » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Funnily enough I haven't had an issue yet with the Austrian or Swiss police despite paddling here most seasons over the 8-10 years. Maybe because I keep to the, admittedly low, speed limits... A mate on the other hand decided to speed through the roadworks at the exit of the tunnel by Landeck - and got to use his credit card in the chip and pin machine in the back of the police car!

Stick to the limits and carry your paperwork and all should be fine. A drivers license will do as an identity card and its easy to keep this in a key safe if worried (although I have never been checked).

Rich

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Yep In Austria after 10 years of guiding there i have never had any problems. As the advice above stick to the speed limits and make sure you display your Vignette.

Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Huck It

Post by Huck It » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:27 pm

So what are the current levels like in the French Alps ( L'Argentiere )?

Andy H was kind enough to give me a link to St Clement Web Cam as everything else seems out of order.
http://www.alpeskayak.fr/webcams-et-vid ... r-durance/

Ubaye / Guil / Guisane / Durance / Veneon etc???

Thank you!!

hogboy

Post by hogboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:25 pm

river levels in the French alps

levels have dropped with a few days cloudy and colder weather.

Lower Guisiane, gyr, onde and gyonde all running but now at med low levels

Ubayye was at a nice medium level a couple fo days ago and will still be the same

Briancon gorge looked emptyish but paddleable from the old town yesterday.

Dunno on veneon, but Romanche was running at a nice medium level a few dayzs ago. There is still lots to do and plenty of snow.

I am amazed at how few paddlers are out here. didn't see another person on racecourse, claree or gyronde when I have been running them.

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi everybody

Forgot i also have a live Ubaye webcam.

http://www.ubaye.com/webcam-riviere-uba ... fting.html

Enjoy
Andy www.escapetoadventure.com

conoroneill

Post by conoroneill » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Many thanks for those two webcams. We're off to Briancon tomorrow eve. :-)
Conor O'Neill

marmot

Post by marmot » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Thought on the gyronde

Hi I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I live just above the gyronde and have come across 5 groups of boaters having a few issues so far this season. now all the groups dealt with it well as far as I know, but they all have some point is common, they put in just below the class 5 bend, had swimmers within a few hundred meters, and were paddling the river on their first or second day here.

I am a big believer in setting your own challenge and risk level, but food for thought, this is a fast alpine river, with few big eddys, it is possible to get in lower down, or maybe do it later in the week when people are used to the speed,

Again this is not a go at any of the groups I meet just something for others thinking of boating it.

Today I have a set of paddles from a swimmer, we heard you groups shouts when I was out walking but couldn't get to river in time, later came upon your paddles, looked for you on the river but only found another group with a swimmer, assumed your team ended up through the gorge section, hope all is well, I have texted the number on the paddles to arrange collection.

Stay safe

Cheers

Stuart J Woodward

Post by Stuart J Woodward » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 am

marmot wrote:Thought on the gyronde

Hi I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I live just above the gyronde and have come across 5 groups of boaters having a few issues so far this season. now all the groups dealt with it well as far as I know, but they all have some point is common, they put in just below the class 5 bend, had swimmers within a few hundred meters, and were paddling the river on their first or second day here.

I am a big believer in setting your own challenge and risk level, but food for thought, this is a fast alpine river, with few big eddys, it is possible to get in lower down, or maybe do it later in the week when people are used to the speed,

Again this is not a go at any of the groups I meet just something for others thinking of boating it.

Today I have a set of paddles from a swimmer, we heard you groups shouts when I was out walking but couldn't get to river in time, later came upon your paddles, looked for you on the river but only found another group with a swimmer, assumed your team ended up through the gorge section, hope all is well, I have texted the number on the paddles to arrange collection.

Stay safe

Cheers
Nothing new here then. Some paddles over estimating their personnel ability and under estimating the sections of rivers they paddle.

The "Treacherous Gyronde" as the late and great Terry Storry called it. This river can rise very quickly due to storm, melt or both. Also perhaps the barrage gates lifting? Sadly the section just below the 5 at Les Vigneaux has seen a number of fatalities over the last few years.

Have a great but safe day.

Stuart.
S.J.Woodward

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi All

Did the Onde today on a good medium level then the Gyronde which was at a high level due to the Barrage being fully open (I think that they are doing some work on it at the moment)

As Marmot said some groups have been having a few issues on the Gyronde and putting on just below the class 5 is for experienced boaters only who can handle the speed and grade at a high level. For a less dramatic start then get on about 800m down at the old campsite however even this requires respect at a high level.

Stay safe cheers Andy www.escapetoadventure.com

PS did the Braincon gorge the day before which is still just going on a low/medium level but will proberbly be out soon.

Stuart J Woodward

Post by Stuart J Woodward » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:39 pm

Andy H wrote:Hi All

Did the Onde today on a good medium level then the Gyronde which was at a high level due to the Barrage being fully open (I think that they are doing some work on it at the moment)
The reason the Valouise barrage gates are open is because they are working on the tubes taking the water to the hydro station at L 'Argentiere. To compensate EDF are taking more water out of the barrage at Prelles (upstream Durance gorge).

David King at PlayD'eau noted this in an earlier mail.

Have a great and safe day.

Stuart
S.J.Woodward

PhilUK

Post by PhilUK » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 am

Hi ,
I'm going to be arriving in the briancon area on the 8th. Hows the river levels at the moment?
Are the level dropping away fast or is it a gradual drop?

Was hoping to tick off the lower guisane whist there so any news here would be great

cheers,
Phil G

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:42 am

Andy H wrote:
As Marmot said some groups have been having a few issues on the Gyronde and putting on just below the class 5 is for experienced boaters only who can handle the speed and grade at a high level. For a less dramatic start then get on about 800m down at the old campsite however even this requires respect at a high level.
Surely experienced boaters would put on above the class 5? This is for boaters who aren't man enough! haha ;-)

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:
Andy H wrote:
Surely experienced boaters would put on above the class 5? This is for boaters who aren't man enough! haha ;-)
We got on where Andy is talking about, the level was high and a swim would have been long and severe, I searched through some videos and found nothing anywhere near the level it was.
The Lower Guisane was running on friday at an ok level and great fun.
Mark

ali

Post by ali » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 am

We were over in the Ubaye yesterday and the group ran the upper and the race course. Racecourse still had some of the previous nights rain in it yet was still on the low side. Guil the day before had nice levels on all sections. Briancon gorge and the Claree ran at the weekend but will need rain again. Gyronde is the high water others have talked about.

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Just back from a 2 week trip and levels currently are as follows

Durance is all good at a good medium level, However the Durance gorge has not released in 2 weeks nor is it likely to do unless it gets lots of rain.

Chat Q, Gardian, Middle Guil at a medium level and all still good to go for probably a couple of weeks yet but are starting to drop off. Upper run and upper guil gorge are getting low.

Ubaye at a good medium level running at about 30-35 on the gauges

Gyronde good medium (Barrage still open)

Onde is nearly gone you may be lucky with a late hot sunny day run or rain.

Gyr good medium late afternoons.

Braincon gorge too low now needs rain

Clarre again almost gone may be lucky with a hot late day run or rain.

Guisane Upper is low just doable with a hot day late run. Lower good low/medium late afternoon.

Romanche medium with a hot day afternoon run, low in the mornings.

Cheers Andy

leerogers

Post by leerogers » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm

The St Clement web cam has been down for a couple of weeks, but appears to be working again today, as does the Rabioux one!

http://www.alpeskayak.fr/webcams-et-vid ... tes-alpes/

Lee

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm out here now with the bf, had a great time on the Middle Durance today, L'Argentieres slalom course (and via ferrata) tomorrow. Anyway else in that neck of the woods and looking for paddling partners? We could share shuttle runs :)
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 pm

This is my week 3 in the Alps and levels are.

Gyronde still on a nice medium.

Upper Guil low and getting scrapy. Middle guil Low/medium but dropping off should still be good for maybe 2 more weeks.

Ubaye race course 25 on the gauge so still at a good medium.

Durance on good medium

Onde is a scrape, Braincon gorge has gone. Guisane upper scrape, Lower still OK on a low.

Not looked at Romanche or veneon this week but reports still say good to go.

Cheers Andy www.escapetoadventure.com

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”