Noguera Palleresa

Inland paddling
PaddyW

Noguera Palleresa

Post by PaddyW »

Last went to Sort several decades ago for the really fun ww festivals they had at the time.

I believe the Noguera Palleresa is dam released? If so when do they release? Is end July any good? 20-27th July

Only info I can find is on French website Eauvives

RizzRat

Re: Noguera Palleresa

Post by RizzRat »

Hey!

Went for a little playboating trip last year!! Releases every day around 10 ish for the upper sections and at about 1 ish the water reaches the lower sections.

We were there in July - it was hot the beer was cold and the river turned on as if by magic every day!

Becca
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW »

I have just worked out that I was there in July 85. I am not sure if the releases were specifically for the Sort WW Festival or if the releases happened every day no matter what, or whether situation depends on water levels etc. Any more info on current expected releases/water levels in July would be good.

RizzRat

Post by RizzRat »

In July it releases EVERY day!
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

Dougie Shannon

Post by Dougie Shannon »

It's a fantastic venue, can't believe it's not used more by uk boaters. Dam releases every day, it depends on water levels how long for. Early in season (May/June) it can be on constant release July probably 3/4 hours per day. It continues to release right up until first week in October. There is approx 50km of white water ranging from grade 2 to 4 (easy 4). Paddle the upper sections earlier in the day or the lower sections later, or if your feeling keen follow the water and paddle all day. It is perfect preparation for harder Alpine runs and a fantastic venue for clubs. The sun always shines, the beer is cheap and the tapas is amazing. If your looking for a festival check out http://noguerapallaresariverfestival.co ... o_ENG.html
Website doesn't have the 2014 dates on it yet, but it is the 19th - 21st September this year. I've been there the past 3 years, it's brilliant, come and join us.

ps you may recognise some venues on a well know safety DVD!!!

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW »

Thanks for the info. Considering it for a club trip.

The old festivals were great fun: a bit like an international Mike Jones rally in the sunshine, paddling with no cags or tops, very hot air temp, slalom, wwr, and rolling comps. Organised 'Touristic descents' of sections, which finished with plastic dustbins full of sangria at the get out!! Severe hangovers! Crazy dutch paddlers climbing up and then swinging from 40 ft lamposts in the town centre. The new festivals sound like fun too!

kjcc25

Post by kjcc25 »

Just out of interest I first went to Sort in 1969 and enjoyed it so much went back again in 1970. Both trips were with Lakeland Canoe Club. I was paddling a Jaycee Cougar at the time, if anyone remembers that make. I still have a large red poster, which I have framed, advertising the Sort Canoe Festival from that year.

Andy H

Post by Andy H »

I was over in Sort a while back and yes its a great venue. We went 2nd week of May and the river was pretty high but great. The side valleys offered some harder excellent runs as well.

There is a campsite about 100m out of the village with static caravans on as well that you can hire if you don't want to camp. A great place with good food and beer and surprisingly very cheap.

I keep meaning to return as there's so much more to do.

Cheers Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Dylan

Post by Dylan »

If you get the chance and you have the level, go do the upper! No dams above and is great fun.
It starts with three gd 5 then is alpine-style pushy continuous 4 all the way down to a lake with one ugly gd 5 with a big stopper on the way (easily portaged on the left). The road is pretty nearby all of the time.

chris rae

Post by chris rae »

kjcc25 wrote:Just out of interest I first went to Sort in 1969 and enjoyed it so much went back again in 1970. Both trips were with Lakeland Canoe Club. I was paddling a Jaycee Cougar at the time, if anyone remembers that make. I still have a large red poster, which I have framed, advertising the Sort Canoe Festival from that year.
Kevin,

I remember you and your dad from canoeing with St Michael's College in the mid 60's.

Do you remember Father Peter Dolan and the rest of us ?

Regards,

Chris Rae.

jriddell

Post by jriddell »

Old topic but I just went on a week's fun trip with Bruce Jolliffee to learn about freestyle on this lovely river, worth looking out for his trips next year to go on

http://brucejolliffe.com/kayaking-catal ... -pyrenees/

kjcc25

Post by kjcc25 »

chris rae wrote:
kjcc25 wrote:Just out of interest I first went to Sort in 1969 and enjoyed it so much went back again in 1970. Both trips were with Lakeland Canoe Club. I was paddling a Jaycee Cougar at the time, if anyone remembers that make. I still have a large red poster, which I have framed, advertising the Sort Canoe Festival from that year.
Kevin,

I remember you and your dad from canoeing with St Michael's College in the mid 60's.

Do you remember Father Peter Dolan and the rest of us ?

Regards,

Chris Rae.
Hi Chris,
Yes I remember Father Dolan and all of you from St Michael's College . It was all of you coming to Stangerthwaite that got me into canoeing. Are you still paddling?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”