Burn Mk 3 or Recon 93??

Inland paddling
Chalky723

Burn Mk 3 or Recon 93??

Post by Chalky723 »

Hi All,

Would like to canvass opinions from anyone that's paddled either (or both) of the above.

I'm looking to buy new for the first (and probably last) time soon & have narrowed my choice down to the Burn Mk3 Large and the Wavesport Recon 93.

I'm around 86Kg & 5'9". Paddle on grade 3-4 plus LV, HPP, with a view to improving & moving up to more challenging water in the future.

I shall demo them both anyway - which may be easier said than done, but that'll be a different challenge, but would like thoughts & opinions of anyone with experience of them.

I'm leaning towards the Recon at the moment as I'm not impressed with Pyranhas outfitting "out of the box". But I am a bit nervous about moving to a rounded hull - I paddle a large H3 now (and a scud for messing).

Any info would be very much appreciated - including where I can find demo boats within reasonable distance of Cambridge.....

Cheers,

Chalky
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

TechnoEngineer

Re: Burn Mk 3 or Recon 93??

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Here are my thoughts, as someone looking to progress from a Super Hero being unable to carry much in it.

The Recon was demoed from Marsport, and the Burn was from Woodmill.
Recon 93

The most important aspect for me was trim and displacement.
Unloaded the trim felt neutral and I had lots of freeboard, I didn't have to overtighten the backrest and it felt like it floated much better than the SuperHero.

There is bags of secondary stability; I was able to edge the boat really hard. I was able to pick up speed and pivot the boat around a bow rudder with ease.

I found it dead easy to roll, and I experimented with keeping the back blade "above deck" (i.e. not reaching under the boat) and it worked, although I felt a tendency for my elbow to knock the deck.

I was able to wet exit with the backrest tightened, albeit a bit of a wriggle.

I put 9kg of load in the stern, and it felt "stern heavy", although I could neutralise the trim by leaning forwards. Loading should be less of an issue than the SuperHero, since there is a harness to hold a throwline, and there are loops behind the seat which can be used to keep drybags of stuff close to me.

I'd need to remove the footrest and replace it with a foam block.
I'd also need to shave off some of the pillar foam.
I noticed a tendency to catch my ankles on something when getting out.
I also found the thigh braces to be a bit too aggressive and would probably need to modify them; they made it slightly awkward to get into the boat, especially with boots.
I was unable to get into the boat with boots, so would need to take them off when getting in.
Large Burn Mk3

Compared to the Recon it felt like it was narrow, and that I only just fit it.
Coaming seems low.
Was unable to get in with the boots.
Secondary stability was good, but not as good as the Recon.
Trim was good, put 7kg of load in the stern and it seemed to cope well; I was able to lean forward and swing the back end round.
Was OK to roll, although I found there was a position with my body near the stern, almost straight down from head to toe,
where I had difficulty.
Forward speed felt sluggish, although I was paddling in a fairly shallow pool. A lot of water piled up at the bow though.
I did a re-entry roll, and found the bow dived significantly with the boat full of water.
There really isn't much at all in the way of flotation up front, and a lot of foam packing would need to be done
(at the bow and beside the seat).
The chine runs all the way from front to back, and didn't experience any "stern skidding" unless heavily leaning forward.
Also noted the deck profile at the bow could possibly make it prone to splitting.
Doesn't feel like there's much volume at the back
I've been told that the MkIII sizes are smaller than the MkI/II, and there is an XL size in the pipeline.
I also took it for a sea surf, it had plenty of speed, although it kept on broaching, which is down to the trim being bow-heavy (i.e. set up for whitewater).
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

I was considering a Recon 83 at time I bought my Medium Burn so did a bit of research, I'm about 72-75kg so good weight for both. Recon was a perfect fit and really comfortable but looks like a lot of boat when your sat in it. My lad demoed it before he bought a Raptor and said it was just too easy and boring, I never had a chance to demo it as the Dart never came up to the level I wanted to try it.
Luckily for me a friend was upgrading his medium Burn to a Large so I had a go of that and loved it within a mile of paddling, the extra length is fantastic, I instantly bought it and my paddling has improved tremendously in a short space of time. Its easy to Boof, roll, ferry glide or lift the bow breaking in, I think its a factor that the boat is very light in comparison to others I've owned.
The Recon is very heavy but you can strip out and change the footrests apparently, your just going to have to try.
Mark

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Mark Dixon wrote: The Recon is very heavy
Not to be under estimated. REALLY heavy. Makes the Shiva seem like it's made of Kevlar.
dave

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Thanks All,

My H3 is ridiculously heavy so if a Recon is the same or lighter it should be OK. Paddler Weight wise I may be able to use a Recon 83 instead - is it better for control purposes to be at the top end for an 83 or the bottom end for a 93?

I guess the key is for me to take my time, demo (which gets expensive if you do a few) and take it from there!

Cheers,

C

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Chalky723 wrote:Thanks All,

My H3 is ridiculously heavy so if a Recon is the same or lighter it should be OK. Paddler Weight wise I may be able to use a Recon 83 instead - is it better for control purposes to be at the top end for an 83 or the bottom end for a 93?

I guess the key is for me to take my time, demo (which gets expensive if you do a few) and take it from there!

Cheers,

C
I think that entirely depends on you and what / where you paddle, I was at the bottom end of a Raptor yet top end of a Veloc, I had the Raptor for 6 months and though a good boat struggled to throw it about a bit, I loved throwing the Veloc about when I demoed it but went over where I wouldnt have in a Raptor. For me the answer was forget Zet and find a boat that fitted my size perfectly. So maybe a Recon might not be your size?
Mark

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Mark Dixon wrote: So maybe a Recon might not be your size?
Mark
That's a really good point - I'd rather be somewhere in the middle than at either end - which would make the Large Burn more suitable...

Cheers,

C

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

OK,

Have now added the Medium Jackson Karma to the list, dropped the Recon 93, and will be booking a demo of one in the near future (still trying to find a Large Burn to demo relatively close by).

C

ion

Post by ion »

Chalky723 wrote:OK,

Have now added the Medium Jackson Karma to the list, dropped the Recon 93, and will be booking a demo of one in the near future (still trying to find a Large Burn to demo relatively close by).

C
I'm a bit confused why you would be trying to choose between a Burn L and a Recon 93...seems like it should be an L with an 83 or an XL with a 93 to have comparable volumes. Think about throwing the Stomper into the mix...it's somewhere between the way these 2 boats paddle (which is quite different - though good in both cases).

Jim

Post by Jim »

Or get a Wenonah Recon....
We had a couple of guys paddling them this weekend, one ran Salmon Leap and both ran Low Force, although like me they need more work landing falls in them ;-)

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

They are quite different boats. Recon is slow and heavy but handles nicely. The Burn III, although highly popular is markedly different from it's earlier versions. People said it had been "mambarised", but I would say more Raptor like, as now it tracks excellently, however the long hard side wall makes for harder handling for intermediates. The Stomper if another slow yet popular boat. Also consider the Waka Tuna and Dagger Mamba. Yet adove all test, test and test some more.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

ion wrote: I'm a bit confused why you would be trying to choose between a Burn L and a Recon 93...seems like it should be an L with an 83 or an XL with a 93 to have comparable volumes.
At 86kg I'm smack bang in the middle for the Burn L, but very close to the top weight for the 83 - when I factored kit in too I thought the 93 would be a better option.

Recon's out of the mix now anyway as I'm either at the top of the 83 limit or the bottom of the 93 limit.

My list at the moment is Jackson Karma Medium, Burn 3 Large (but only if I can get to demo one). This is pretty much being dictated by what I'm likely to be able to try out as demoing is turning out to be a right pain.

I can definitely demo a Karma and may be able to have a lap or 2 of HPP in someone elses Burn. Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice within reasonable driving distance of me.....

I may end up grabbing people at HPP & LV and asking to have a go......

C

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider »

I only managed to demo the Recon 83 and bought a 93. I demo'd at CIWW and it was a great venue for the task. Pay one demo fee and paddle any boat they have just chop and change as you please. Plus each lap is the same so really easy for side by side comparison. I am 95kg and and knew that with kit on a river I would be too heavy for the 83. However empty of kit at CIWW it was great fun so chuckable and a little bit of me wishes I had bought the 83 but i know when the water gets bigger the 93 will be the right choice.
So I suppose what I'm saying is don't discount the 83 just because of weight limits paddle it first then decide.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”