Upper Vecchio Corsica

Inland paddling
harrychosser

Upper Vecchio Corsica

Post by harrychosser » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm

I have just returned from a week in Corsica. Before I left I had heard much hype about the Upper Vecchio with some people claiming it was one of the best rivers in the world, some even said it was better than the Swale on 1.4 As you can imagine I was extremely excited, however after 9 hours and more portaging then paddling I was left underwhelmed and thoroughly disappointed. I feel it is honestly the worst river I have ever done. 

My question; I would like to know what is it that people see and like in this river? What is your experience of it? 

Ps I did it at 150 on the gauge, the recommended level.

Poke

Re: Upper Vecchio Corsica

Post by Poke » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 pm

I don't remember that much portaging back in 2007...

... perhaps you should grow bigger balls and try again?
;-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:09 am

Swale or this? Hmm…

dave

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 am

That video makes it look both very committing and awesome. It aslo makes the Swale on 1.4 look easy in comparison; tell me I am wrong?

nomad_321

Post by nomad_321 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

While I doubt anything could ever be better than the Swale, it does sound a bit like your just being a chicken

Kenny P

Post by Kenny P » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

Toughen up Princess, thought you were top stouter...#IONLYBOOF
harrychosser wrote: I was left underwhelmed and thoroughly disappointed.
Well at least you know how all those Jordy women feel now.
Just an average kayaker, with exceptional hair.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:53 am

Kenny P wrote:Toughen up Princess, thought you were top stouter...#IONLYBOOF
harrychosser wrote: I was left underwhelmed and thoroughly disappointed.
Well at least you know how all those Jordy women feel now.
LIKE!!

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Ha ha welcome to Corsica.

Yes the upper as well as the middle Veccio is a 1km a hour run due to its many portages and inspections. I absolutely love it as its a adventure not a road side easy paddle. As you experienced its for solid boaters only who need to be seriously physically fit and don't mind some hard graft for that reason its far more harder than the Swale on the physiological and physical side.

I allays call it a man up river.

Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

brunolb

Post by brunolb » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 pm

It is probably not entirely fair to put Upper and Middle Vecchio in the same leaque, the Upper being a completely different beast. If you put 1km/h on the Middle, the Upper will certainly be a multiday business, not the most attractive prospect!
While the middle is one of my alltime favorites (as you can bomb down quite quickly once you know the lines), the upper will probably remain a rather aspirational objective for me.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 pm

'84 or '85 we attempted the Upper in Dancers and the like. My opinion was get a dog instead of a kayak - it is easier to take for a walk.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Strong first post, I suspect a troll.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:13 am

Each to his own, I love doing new rivers and recently walked in for 45 mins during the Valentines Day floods to run a river that goes maybe twice a year, but once I'm on it I'm not keen on walking again apart from inspecting. I really struggled to get anyone interested in joining me because of the walk in which was in horrendous conditions too.
I would not be in the slightest interested in the Upper Vechio judging by reports and fully understand the OP saying its his worst nightmare, maybe its one of those rivers you need to do once if your out for adventure and ok with the portaging? After all its a lot of driving to get to Corsica in the 1st place.
Mark

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:Strong first post, I suspect a troll.
Good spot, but still an interesting post.

There's something to be said for hard to get to brutal rivers. I've always been right on the 'roadside' end of the scale, seeing long walk-ins etc as getting in the way from time on the river.
But paddling mainly in BC of late, I've had to embrace the quite frankly, horrendous, logistics.
And there is a perverse pleasure in it. More so if it's warm and sunny, mind you...

Each to their own, but with so much of the 'adventure' taken out of paddling these days with everything having been run and documented, the logistical challenges are often the most memorable and adventurous part of a river.
dave

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:54 pm

First time I paddled it I was led down by Markus Schmidt (or some such similar spelling, sorry Markus) who knew it well. We hardly portaged before the big fall on the left hand bend, and only a few times after, although we inspected a fair bit. It took about 5 hours. Superb paddling.

Second time, a year or so later, we were by ourselves and I had forgotten all the lines. We had to exit at the halfway point by clambering up to the railway, as we had taken all day to get just that far. And I nearly got totalled by a train coming fast around the corner.

So it can be a superb river - it is just bl**dy hard going. But I sympathise if you had a harder experience. I have been there too.

That's why I graded it grade 8.

Simon

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Poke wrote:I don't remember that much portaging back in 2007...

;-)
Didn't you have no water in 2007?

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Patrick Clissold wrote:
Poke wrote:I don't remember that much portaging back in 2007...

;-)
Didn't you have no water in 2007?
Haha, yeah it was low levels in general, but the level was only 10cm below the recommended 150cm. I remember three main portages - the big fall and two others that I imagine would need portaging in any level. No doubt there were others, but I remember it was a good (if long) day on the water.

How was your trip out there this year? Did you do this section this time?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

harrychosser

Post by harrychosser » Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Okay you got me I am not being entirely serious here. Obviously I didn’t really think that it could ever be better than the Swale at 1.4….duh.

Seriously though I am genuinely interested in this, why the hype about this section? 9 hours, countless portages and I could count the clean lines/drops on one hand.

Its not that I left my balls at home, I paddled everything that physically went even if it was manky including the large drop halfway down, just to avoid that extra 15 minutes hiking my boat over huge rocks. I kind of thought maybe it just needed more water but there were boulders everywhere so I’m dubious that extra flows would have made it much better.

I get the whole adventure side of things too but surely most other river on the island tick this box whilst have nice whitewater?

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Think this is the accompanying video to this thread. Made me laugh anyway, good work lads!!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”