Barny Weir

Inland paddling
Big Henry

Barny Weir

Post by Big Henry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:38 pm

I've heard that the new weir at Barnard Castle has been completed. Does anyone know how paddler friendly it is? If the answer is 'not very' how easy is it to portage?

Poke

Re: Barny Weir

Post by Poke » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 pm

...and, does this mean that any calibrations based on the Barnard Castle EA gauge now need to be re-done (as they were when the work started)?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Yep all done now - looks like it's going to be fine at most normal water levels. Slide with green wave at the bottom right and left, fish pass a bit like the one at Chollerford on the Tyne centre left and just to the right of that a deeper chute with a walled in sticky looking hole at the bottom (pretty much the same as used to be there). Portage left looks shortest but would have to climb down the bank. Most people won't need to though.

No idea if it will affect calibrations much, I imagine they haven't been very consistent over the last year anyway. The gauge is just upsteam of the weir rather than actually on part of it.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Just found this thread about it in the Rivers section, with a couple of photos from upstream.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:38 am

Looks like they've finished everything they are doing, have removed the 'bridge' across Deepdale Beck and re-opened the footpath. Took these yesterday. The middle doesn't look good at all.

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 pm

As southerner who's never seen this weir, i may be missing something, but whats the point of it?

Tony

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:43 pm

The point sharing information. Over the last couple of years there has been extensive work done on the weir, in fact it has been entirely replaced! During this time the weir has ranged from being impassable... to certain death strainer hole... to inconsequential. As it is on a section of ww popular with clubs and coaches, it is good for people to know what the ongoing situation is so that they can plan accordingly, the portage being long and inconvenient.

Also, there is interest in what the new weir would look like, how paddler friendly it would be.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Betty wrote:The point sharing information. Over the last couple of years there has been extensive work done on the weir, in fact it has been entirely replaced! During this time the weir has ranged from being impassable... to certain death strainer hole... to inconsequential. As it is on a section of ww popular with clubs and coaches, it is good for people to know what the ongoing situation is so that they can plan accordingly, the portage being long and inconvenient.

Also, there is interest in what the new weir would look like, how paddler friendly it would be.
I suspect Tony might have meant: what's the point of the weir :-)
Giles

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 pm

I know, but the poor dear fellow is from... down south... Nuff said.

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Giles is right!

What I meant was - why is there weir there?!

From the pics, it only appears to have an 18" - 2ft drop. No doubt the water about the weir is shall due to accumulated gravel etc.

The new weir seems to have the usual EA atrtibutes - closed ends, no obvious way out/ break point, no obvious canoe chute (unless the centre chute is it). Not sure about a fish pass.

What would have happended if the EA had removed the old weir and restored the river bed, rather than repalcing the weir (at significant expense)?

Thanks
Tony

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:54 pm

TonyM wrote:From the pics, it only appears to have an 18" - 2ft drop.
The photos may be misleading, this is quite a substantial structure.

Ken Hughes (local coach) had this to say recently:
There are now 4 channels; the left and right which are a similar angle to the old weir, but now have a lip at the bottom which forms a small steep wave. This being concrete, it is likely to be damaging to boats. Interestingly, it stays as a wave in higher water rather than forming a stopper. I DO NOT know yet, but that MAY mean it is paddlable.

The centre channel is as dangerous as it was before and a very sticky, inescapable, stopper.

The fish-pass channel, next to the centre channel is designed to have a very slow flow. On Saturday it was still a calm flow in highish water. However, not knowing what forms the steps (it could be metal strips if consistent with other such constructions), it may be wise to avoid it.

This used to be a great coaching/play site, but it does seem to be something to avoid now.

Portage can be made river right right where the tributary comes in, up to the road. Alternatively, there is a parking spot river left 200m above the weir where another stream enters which is a convenient, if very muddy, get out.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Best thing to do is wait until the middle of summer when the river is at its lowest and wade out and inspect the left and right channels and have a good look at the central channel and fish-pass channel to see exactly how it is constructed and what is beneath the water.

Alternatively send the 'prode' down each channel in an old boat to see what happens? There is always someone willing to voluteer isnt there, as long as you have safety set up.

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm not sure there is a lip at the bottom that is forming that wave. If there is I didn't feel anything the other day at low/med levels. I reckon it'll be fine at most normal levels that the section gets run at.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”