BCU Rebranded - British Canoeing

Inland paddling
Randy Fandango

Re: BCU Rebranded - British Canoeing

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Well -- now you've put that I guess it was obvious all along...... :-)
Giles

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm

i've looked at the logo a couple times trying to work it out and it looks like a flagpole with a flapping flag top left, the bottom right represents water by the waves. I am happy with Logo and think its very good, its going to be easily recognisable and instantly remembered.
Not so sure about the name though, maybe that needs rethinking

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:29 pm

After months of research talking to paddlers
interesting that no one on here had a clue it was even being considered

Richard Moss

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 pm

We've all missed the bigger point. On the webpage it says "The BCU is launching a new look & feel for canoeing".

So we've all seen the Emperor’s new logo. Yes, it's amateurish, but we all know that the modern world isn't about branding and logos, it's about values and integrity...

So, the thing I can't wait for is this new feel for canoeing - one wonders whether it involves being in a real boat on real water or not.

I think the logo is pretty poor, it just looks like a fragmented flag; without the text it isn't obvious that it is about canoe/kayak/paddlesports, so you may as well just have the union jack. The enlarged letter R in British looks like a ski-jump. It doesn't clarify the relationship between Canoe England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. It is probably easy to print onto a tracksuit though.

Elsewhere, it says it is more than a superficial rebrand... ...its about a positive attitude, and inspiring and enabling imagery too. Good job it didn't come from a higher profile organisation, otherwise it would be ideal material for a Private Eye magazine cover.

The thing that definitely needed separation last time was the BCU from Canoe England; it always looked odd to see BCU and Canoe England tied up as single entity, with CANI, SCA and Canoe Wales as separate bodies or National Associations (although none of the other logos was up to much either).

Sadly, if anyone from BCU, CanoeEngland, British Canoeing, etc. actually looks at this thread they may dismiss it as 'those people who post on UKRGB' without recognising that we all share the same sport/pastime - lots of us either have done, do a bit, or may do a bit of competitive paddlesport in our lives.

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Sorry it's too funny to resist:

Embrace the change people, embrace change! No, wait, stay the same BCU, no, 'hang on' what do you want again?

Also going to drop the little 'Leopard and Spots' cliché, I'll leave that right there for you to ponder.

To be fair, we hounded the arse out of the BCU over Access and they finally stopped agreements and put Chris Hawkesworth in a dark room somewhere so he didn't threaten any more paddlers for going on the Ure. Rebranding, name change, new logo, I couldn't give a monkey's wotsit about, to be honest, it doesn't affect paddling. But, if you think the BCU are going to stop their process and listen to complaints then you have not paid attention over the years. I'm going to lay a 5p bet that whoever was tasked with this rebrand will be taking annual leave right about now, just like the coaching gov'nor did; Run a major project and then hide from the flack on holiday. Skills! Hahaha! There is sure to be a few more gems yet to come from this episode! BCU the comedy gift that keeps on giving...

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Richard Moss wrote: it's about values and integrity...

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:29 am

Is it time to de-federalise?

Having finally identified that having the federal body doubling as a national body was scandalous, heavily biased and discriminatory and then making a weak attempt to make them appear separated, the latest decision is to say to hell with the clear conflict of interests and give up on the pretense, but with an even more rubbish logo than before?

What a dog-egg!

KrisBD

Post by KrisBD » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 am

Seeing this total rubbish makes me so glad that I gave up on the BCU years ago. What a waste of money from those who grab the cash from the massed membership then totally ignore the vast majority of them.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 am

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:39 am

In the words of John McEnroe: "You cannot be serious."

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am

perhaps now would be a good opportunity to start our own national body that represents the majority of the paddlers rather than the current national body that seems to only represent competitors

We could call it the British Canoe Union, so at least we would get instant recognition

flipt

Post by flipt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:13 am

I second that.

Its been a long time since there was a body in the UK that represented non competitive paddlers, and concerned itself with its members.

The bcu stats suggest that only 36% of paddlers who venture out more than 10 times a year are 'affiliated' ....and this would normally be through clubs who are affiliated?
Given that I know no one who has been questioned I'm going to assume this is a guess on their part......and that actually the percentage of those affiliated is much much lower?

We should really all want to be members of a group that has the goal of improving our sport....but there is no such group at present!
This most recent action by bcu here and Canoe wales charging for river access shows the current bodies are no longer fit to act for the general paddler.
Gradientfood.com - a sandwich bar in Llangollen.

jriddell

Post by jriddell » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am

Pst Simon, in traditional British English the whole sport is called canoeing. Many people use Amercian English now where there is no word for the whole sport and silly words like Paddlesport have to be made up. I like that the BCU continues to use traditional British English.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:38 am

jriddell wrote:Pst Simon, in traditional British English the whole sport is called canoeing. Many people use Amercian English now where there is no word for the whole sport and silly words like Paddlesport have to be made up. I like that the BCU continues to use traditional British English.
But I am a kayaker like most of the membership. In an era of precision SEO, it makes little sense to call your sport something it is not, simply based of an arcane tradition. It's a bit like if athletics called themselves running, ignoring the whole other aspect of the group of disciplines that make up their sport.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:12 am

jriddell wrote:Pst Simon, in traditional British English the whole sport is called canoeing. Many people use Amercian English now where there is no word for the whole sport and silly words like Paddlesport have to be made up. I like that the BCU continues to use traditional British English.
Almost every other language in the world recognizes the distinction between canoes and kayaks, why are the British traditionally so damn lazy about it? Perhaps it's because the BCU was already named when kayaking took off so they muscled in on it and forced it to be known as canoeing just so they could take control? Kind of like they are trying to do with SUP now?

The general British public are smart, they have learned that SOTs are kayaks and use the word quite confidently now - if sit in kayakers don't make a stand to maintain their stake in the name kayak it may soon come to mean only SOT type kayaks, at least as far as the general public are aware.....

Paddlesport is a much more sensible group terminology, especially in foreign parts where rafts are common and also fall into the group.

Let it go! Canoe unions and associations and even clubs which have a significant (in many cases majority) sector of the membership using kayaks are anachronistic. It's not about Americanizing, it's about clear communication.

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

ruralweb wrote:OMG ripped off by consultants - glad I'm only a member for the Cotswold Camping discount. But I have emailed them and said basically the same as you Simon as it's complete rubbish.

Emperor's clothes...

Alex E

Post by Alex E » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Simon Westgarth wrote: Secondly, the new name, does not reflect the nature of the sports you represent, its paddlesports, in which more people use a kayak paddle, so obviously British Kayaking would of been better, or at least British Paddlesports, to include SUP, SOT and Dragon boat racing. [/i]
I agree with what you're saying but just as a point of accuracy, Dragon boat racing is not under the control/remit of the BCU, it has it's own entirely seperate NGB (British Dragonboat Association) and international federation (IDBF) (both of whom are similarly effective as the BCU in many respects)

eeonz

Post by eeonz » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Did people actually take issue with this symbol?

I liked it in a traditionalist sort of way.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:54 pm

The French have also just undertaken a rebranding exercise.
Somehow they have managed to incorporate a canoe AND kayak paddle in the same logo!

http://www.canoeicf.com/icf/NewsGallery ... ity--.html

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Would that be the International CANOE Federation? I wonder who thought up that name.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Would that be the International CANOE Federation? I wonder who thought up that name.
They also need a shake up.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Would that be the International CANOE Federation? I wonder who thought up that name.
The order of the initials suggests it wasn't anyone French speaking, they would have made if FIC not ICF :)
(as can be seen from the actual link which is to an ICF page about the FFCK logo).

FFCK looked kind of familiar and then I realized it is only one letter away from FFCV....
(different sport, one where the international federation was set up by the French originally.... although they Anglicized the name of the sport giving us FISLY instead of FICV)

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:56 pm

I think the new logo looks at first glance like a small dog looking to the left. Can't for the life of me work out the significance of the giant R.

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Another thought... The 'can do' brand campaign... isn't 'can do' a brand of wet bog paper intended for potty training children?

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:26 pm

http://www.pampers.co.uk/kandoo - now they can use letter headed wipes
Mal

saiingneil

Post by saiingneil » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:32 pm

I can't see how people see that logo are going to automatically associate it with any form of paddling., which surely is its entire purpose.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 pm

It's certainly cryptic, I think the logo is supposed to look like a paddle blade splashing into water and the hollow of the 'R' is also a blade. I doubt any casual reader would 'get it'. I guess it is supposed always to be used with the title.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 am

In the UK the word canoe has always been understood to cover both canoe and kayak. This goes right back to the origins of our sport, McGregor's book was called "A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe", though it was clearly a kayak, and the Royal Canoe Club was so called even though they were mostly kayaking. If you are able to accept that definition of canoeing then British Canoeing is more inclusive than if it called itself British Canoeing and Kayaking, as that implies a stricter definition of the two terms. Plus it is unnecessarilty long-winded (which is perhaps why Simon prefers it :-) ).

Don't take this as any kind of support for the rebranding exercise though, I agree with the general sentiments expressed.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm pretty sure that most members of the public can tell the difference between canoes and kayaks these days. Even tabloid newspapers seem to manage, and if the Sun can tell the difference, then anyone can. Maybe it's that we are becoming more international, or maybe it's simply that people have begun to use the two words correctly. The French rebranding looks spot on to me.

For people who already canoe or kayak, the difference is just semantics. But for someone new to either sport, it will be confusing. At least someone at the BCU knows how to optimise search engine results because a google search for "British Kayaking" currently brings up the BCU page as a first hit.

To me, 'paddlesport' sounds niche at best. I can't remember ever seeing anywhere offering a Paddlesport Taster Session for example.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm

David Fairweather wrote:To me, 'paddlesport' sounds niche at best. I can't remember ever seeing anywhere offering a Paddlesport Taster Session for example.
Go Paddlesporting? Catchy!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”