BCU Rebranded - British Canoeing

Inland paddling
Strad

Re: BCU Rebranded - British Canoeing

Post by Strad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Anyone suggesting paddlesport has obviously not visited paddles dot net thinking it might be something to do with kayaking.....

EDIT - NOT SAFE FOR WORK and the overly intelligent forum software made it a link even though I didn't add it as such hence I've spelled it out
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:33 pm

kayak.com and kayak.co.uk are travel sites and none of it is adventurous

canoe.com takes you to a french canadian newspaper (I think)

canoe.co.uk has a lot more pictures of people kayaking than canoeing.....
I can roll :)

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:12 pm

davebrads wrote:Plus it is unnecessarilty long-winded (which is perhaps why Simon prefers it :-) ).
Wonderfully constructive discourse!

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:30 pm

twopigs wrote:
David Fairweather wrote:To me, 'paddlesport' sounds niche at best. I can't remember ever seeing anywhere offering a Paddlesport Taster Session for example.
Go Paddlesporting? Catchy!
You wouldn't say "Go Ballsporting" when talking about ball sports. Well I wouldn't.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Strad wrote:Anyone suggesting paddlesport has obviously not visited paddles dot net thinking it might be something to do with kayaking.....

EDIT - NOT SAFE FOR WORK and the overly intelligent forum software made it a link even though I didn't add it as such hence I've spelled it out
Indeed. Try googling for the Australian 'Paddles' magazine....

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Strad wrote:Anyone suggesting paddlesport has obviously not visited paddles dot net thinking it might be something to do with kayaking.....

I don't need to, I have a friend who found it years ago looking for lightning paddles website, he didn't stop telling us about it for years! :)

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:11 pm

I think it's a positive move.

As a recreational paddler, the BCU / CE / CanoeYourself Britain don't represent me.
Now they've dropped the obvious kayak/canoe from their logo the general public will no longer associate them with kayaking/canoeing. Any apparent link between the BCU and recreational paddling has long been a source of confusion, at long last the BCU have dropped the pretence.

:)

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 am

A couple of things on my mind...

1) So who did they ask? I wonder if any of them r UKRGB users? and i f you are could you comment on your contribution

"After months of research, talking to both paddlers & non-paddlers up & down the country, we’ve developed a new look, which goes right to the heart of what our sport is all about."

2) I have read the explanation of the logo and it still doesn't make any sense.. It must be me :(
The logo should not have to be explained.

3) Whats in a Name..The country is called "Great Britain" or I am not being politically correct. Alternatively Call it United Kingdom. Or is that wrong too. just in case Scotland leaves the Kingdom..

So to the real question.. Why am I upset.
answer- Because I cant see the real agenda of BCU/ BC (or what ever)
So the message to BCU/BC is
Please promote PADDLE SUPPORT. Use common sense. get us on your side. we would love to help. JUST ASK
As the great philosopher once said "Its all about Paddling, stupid"

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 am

Look its dead simple, the BCU looks enviously at the success of British Cycling, they changed from the British Cycling Federation as they didn't have enough space on the skin suits to write Federation, and look what success followed.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:34 am

Fast Pat wrote:the BCU looks enviously at the success of British Cycling
I think there is some mileage in this. The changes certainly seem to be more driven by a desire to present an image that is marketable to outside bodies than to benefit the membership. This can be justified in terms of the competitive disciplines in that it might improve the ability to raise funding, but this means nothing to the majority of the membership who are recreational paddlers.

British Cycling works; they have always been the body for competitive cycling, recreational cyclists have the CTC. If you want to race you have to join British Cycling, you only join the CTC if you feel that they have something to offer you as a recreational cyclist. Consequently the CTC has to work hard to maintain its relevance to the recreational cyclist, and does much good work.

Clearly what is needed is for the BCU to split. The recreational body will then have to focus properly on its member's interests, or else they will simply leave, while the greater focus of the competitive body will allow them to promote the competitive disciplines more effectively.

As a competitive paddler I am peed off with the lack of accountability of the BCU as much as anybody, but also I am unhappy that I am forced to join an organisation that doesn't represent me as a recreational paddler.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm

So, to conclude...not everyone is totally 'excited about' this 'momentous development'?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Why should we be Mark? What we do doesn't come under the BCU's remit does it? [/realism disguised as sarcasm]

dory

Post by dory » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Well the "Can Do" page does look fairly positive, with lots of pictures of recreational paddlers and a focus on casual, rather than competition boating. So let's hope that really is what they're aiming for.

Although going from the British Canoeing page on the Canoe England Website to an article that only referenced itself as the British Canoe Union was terribly confusing.

quicky

Post by quicky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 pm

By the way, is it `Can Do` or `Kandoo`? http://www.kandookids.com/
Kandoo - Potty Training Wipes and Personal Care Products
www.kandookids.com

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 pm

davebrads wrote:
Fast Pat wrote:the BCU looks enviously at the success of British Cycling
I think there is some mileage in this. The changes certainly seem to be more driven by a desire to present an image that is marketable to outside bodies than to benefit the membership. This can be justified in terms of the competitive disciplines in that it might improve the ability to raise funding, but this means nothing to the majority of the membership who are recreational paddlers.
I've not got any problem with this. The BCU rebranded. I agree the name is following the track of British Cycling… all good and marketable etc. The only thing that is wrong is the appalling logo design. And I design logos for a living – so I've seen a few bad ones – trust me this is bad.
dave

Robert Craig

Re: BCU Rebranded - British Canoeing - time to go!

Post by Robert Craig » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Jim wrote:Is it time to de-federalise?
Yes, better now than wait for September.

An Feis Mhor would be a good place and time to announce it.

[Apologies to those south of the border.]

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am

An alternative to the BCU, sorry BC, way of doing things

Adventure Accreditation International

Soon to be recognised by AALS as I understand it.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

John K

Post by John K » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm still clinging to the hope that the whole article is very closely linked to the publication date of the newsletter...

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm

Awful logo and why does a kayak feature in British canoeing? Seems very odd

icklepaddler

Post by icklepaddler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 pm

For a people focused organisation, every year it just appears to get more distant from being a members organisation. Re there desire to be relevant to members, that is simple to do - take a strong lead on access and use the membership to fight the good fight in a co-ordinated approach!

But our betters just appears to be chasing the holy £ by focusing on increasing participation, and getting the resultant money from sport england, but not appearing to care about members or indeed give reasons for people to join. Apart from the few for whom thames licenses are worth the cost, why would anyone join if it were not for the fact that they had to to lead, coach or compete?

The name change simply appears to be tightening the brand to more closely align with the olympic squad. This is a good idea, but whilst we are still semi federalised it just appears messy

And as for the logo, err its a fail!

quicky

Post by quicky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 am

http://www.gbcanoeing.org.uk/gbc/index. ... on-review/

Olympic Disciplines Competition Review

British Canoeing have commissioned an independent agency, Wharton Consulting, to conduct a review of the competition structures in Slalom and Sprint Racing. The purpose of the review is to ensure that these competition structures are fit for purpose in each of the following respects:

Recruitment to and retention of participants within the sport at all levels, including schools, universities and clubs
The identification, development and progression of talent towards the World Class Performance Programme in the Slalom and Sprint disciplines
The creation of a marketable events programme at national and international levels
How about a general members review to find out what they want and why your not doing it....

callwild

Post by callwild » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

As C.E., W.C.A., & S.C.A. were the individual parts of the BCU it seemed to make sense, but now the press releases all state that
B.C.U., C.E. & GB Canoeing have merged into British Canoeing without any mention of the WCA or SCA what has happenned to them? and were they consulted / involved in this change?

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:19 pm

quicky wrote:http://www.gbcanoeing.org.uk/gbc/index. ... on-review/
Olympic Disciplines Competition Review

British Canoeing have commissioned an independent agency, Wharton Consulting, to conduct a review of the competition structures in Slalom and Sprint Racing. The purpose of the review is to ensure that these competition structures are fit for purpose in each of the following respects:

Recruitment to and retention of participants within the sport at all levels, including schools, universities and clubs
The identification, development and progression of talent towards the World Class Performance Programme in the Slalom and Sprint disciplines
The creation of a marketable events programme at national and international levels
How about a general members review to find out what they want and why your not doing it....
Probably they are allowed to use some of the Sport England money to conduct this review........ BC probably don't have the money to review the wants of the membership .......
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Do I care? No.

Unless you are a coach at a high level and a provider I dont see why you are all bothered. What do you want the BCU etc to do? What specific things do you mean when you say "represent their membership"?

Strad

Post by Strad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:Do I care? No.

Unless you are a coach at a high level and a provider I dont see why you are all bothered. What do you want the BCU etc to do? What specific things do you mean when you say "represent their membership"?
Be as outspoken and tenacious about access as anglers are, including things such as regularly involving / working directly with MPs to ensure that the idea of access as exposed by Caffyn's work is well versed within the governmental and legal circles?
Graham Stradling

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Strad wrote:
Lancs_lad wrote:Do I care? No.

Be as outspoken and tenacious about access as anglers are, including things such as regularly involving / working directly with MPs to ensure that the idea of access as exposed by Caffyn's work is well versed within the governmental and legal circles?
Is access really that important? It very rarely affects me and it has never stopped me from paddling.

I get that people want to see the BCU doing something with the membership money, but unless you need coaching quals valid there is no point being a member and no point worrying about what they do.

As far as keeping my quals valid I am happy to pay my money to keep them that way (obviously I would prefer not to).

Here is a question for you. If access was a non issue/resolved from tomorrow, how would your kayaking life change? Mine would be no different.

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Surely the most positive thing about paddling is that it can be a lifelong pastime and that competition is not a required element to make it worthwhile. As far as I can see the new look is still more about competitive paddling than about paddling.... I am not against competitive sport of course not BUT it will always only be open to a tiny minority of the population, paddling is for everyone.

The BCU or whatever they are calling themselves this week need to wake up to this fact.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Strad

Post by Strad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:
Here is a question for you. If access was a non issue/resolved from tomorrow, how would your kayaking life change? Mine would be no different.
Probably very little - other than the hopeful removal of the occasional bit of mouth from anglers, have to admit that (from my personal view) it is getting much rarer. In the last year I've had more verbal from surfers than from anglers (Several of whom claimed to be locals to North Devon but with Mancunian accents) and all thought it ok to snake waves because kayakers apparently don't count - maybe if I buy one of those snazzy surf boats I will get more acceptance.
Graham Stradling

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Lancs_lad wrote: Here is a question for you. If access was a non issue/resolved from tomorrow, how would your kayaking life change? Mine would be no different.
It depends how it was resolved.

If it was resolved by a total ban on paddling without the landowners permission coming into force, I think my kayaking life would be affected.

Aside from that - as Strad said, hopefully less gob from Anglers....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”