Thule Bheri Adventure

Inland paddling
Michael Hatton

Thule Bheri Adventure

Post by Michael Hatton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Paddle it for yourself to find out how good it is!
Itll redefine your defenition of continuous in a good way, i still cant remember any rapids.

https://vimeo.com/90469329

see pureland expeditions for any info.

purelandexpeditions.com

Re: Thule Bheri Adventure

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 am

We loved sorting this trip for you.

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Smithy1

Post by Smithy1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 am

I really enjoyed the narration. The trip looked amazing and the plane ride would have terridied me. Good work.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm

We took that plane ride a few years ago, the landing is interesting to say the least, not long after the same plane dropped out of the sky killing all on board. eeek!

Kevin

Michael Hatton

Post by Michael Hatton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Smithy1 wrote:I really enjoyed the narration. The trip looked amazing and the plane ride would have terridied me. Good work.
Glad you got the sense of humour!
If you dont fancy sketchy plane rides theres many driveable put ons the roads are more entertaining than sketchy.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I liked that.
The Thuli Bheri is an odd one for me -- we paddled it back in early 2007 and it marks the worst low point in my paddling to date.
Everything was off for me: I'd not paddled hard for a while, was carrying an injured shoulder and my head was all over the place and I soon discovered I was massively the weakest link in our paddling group -- not a place I'd really ever experienced being before.
The river was apparently at a fairly chunky level and I'd just taken my first ever swim on Himalayan G4/5 on the Tamba Kosi (and I'd paddled a fair bit in the Himalayas before) which had left it's mark on me.
A day or two into the river I freaked out and ended up walking all sorts of things I'd have paddled quite happily a few years before. A couple of horrible swims later including one where I travelled under a very large rock whilst upside down in my boat before bailing and spending far too long being recirced underwater in a stretch with a very strong helical flow and my game was pretty well over -- with several days paddling still ahead.
The net affect is I can barely think of the river without squirming although weirdly I really enjoyed being in the valley itself -- what a stunning, beautiful, amazing place to be feeling so crap.
Sometimes I feel I'd love to go back (weirdly I feel my paddling is pretty strong at the mo and my head in the right place) but God knows if I ever will.
Giles

Michael Hatton

Post by Michael Hatton » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:23 pm

That sounds like a very hard time!
Maybe try Tsarap Chu Zanskar, in theory its the same grade but is tea and biscuits by comparison.
Unless being ill and delicate makes everything feel harder and my judgements abit skewed.
Both are awesome for different reasons.
scenarys not bad either.
I want to go back and paddle day 4,5,6 in a less delicate state.

Also the slot looks horrendous in person, whereas the photos look nice, i might of been dehydrated and delushional though!

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:35 pm

We did this trip in November 2007, I had been wanting to do it since my first trip to Nepal in 2002. It didn't disappoint the most amazing trip.
What really stood out is after the grade 5plus gorge, which we portaged there was one of the best days paddling, There was a short gorge which had some scary paddling, It took me a couple of attempts to roll up before the rapid that gose under the cliff in there, and then about 3km of continuous, Steep, and chunky rapids, like a blizzard of white water, better than sex, or may be Im doing it wrong.

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:52 pm

We had an idea of doing the Thule Bheri right after the Humla. Oh how naive we were! Did not have the energy to do it. Looking at the video it looks like all the best bits of the Humla back to back. I have to go back now.

Did you paddle all the way down to the confluence with the Kanarli? If so how long did it take in all?

Michael Hatton

Post by Michael Hatton » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Do it!
I want to go back for thule bheri and the humla your vid looked mega!
We were 5 days to the bheri confluence. With an 2 hour paddle on 1st day and a half day on day 4 I was a bit ill.
1 day to major bridge point to take out.
Another 3 days of "flat" to karnali I think.
We went for hot tubs and upper kali!

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 pm

We must have just missed you on the Upper Kali. Amazing run, shame about the shit finish in Beni. Again awesome vid.

RobMoffatt

Post by RobMoffatt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Patrick Clissold wrote:Did you paddle all the way down to the confluence with the Kanarli? If so how long did it take in all?
Patrick, we paddled down to the Karnali 2 years ago - can't say that I recommend it. I seem to remember 3 very long days on the water which left my with tenosynovitis... After an amazing 4 days on the Thuli I think I'd have preferred the Bus from Devisthal (or an extra 3 days of food to ease the pace on the flat!).

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:32 pm

RobMoffatt wrote:I think I'd have preferred the Bus from Devisthal
Careful what you pray for...it's an appalling arduous journey. I say this having made quite a few Himalayan bus journeys...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Michael Hatton

Post by Michael Hatton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Mark R wrote:
RobMoffatt wrote:I think I'd have preferred the Bus from Devisthal
Careful what you pray for...it's an appalling arduous journey. I say this having made quite a few Himalayan bus journeys...
If you take the orange pills then it doesn't matter, infact most things dont matter so life is good.

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:29 pm

The road to Devisthal (and beyond) is now really very good.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm getting mixed up - it's the road to Devisthal I'm thinking of, from the end of the WW on the Thuli. Bloody awful experience.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

RobMoffatt

Post by RobMoffatt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Mark R wrote:I'm getting mixed up - it's the road to Devisthal I'm thinking of, from the end of the WW on the Thuli. Bloody awful experience.
That journey didn't look fun from the water - I think we actually overtook an overcrowded bus whilst floating along!

Stuart J Woodward

Post by Stuart J Woodward » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:13 pm

In 1996 after the wild adventures on the upper section, I thought this bottom section from the Sanni Bheri to the kanali was great. But we had very high water as we went in a month earlier than Jerry Moffitt the previous year, also the monsoon finished a month later. We just sat back and watched the country fly by (or as Slimes says whooshed by), just had to do an occasional steering stroke. Better than the bus at any level. The very missed Ian Beecroft ran it at low water and thought it was very pleasant.

Stuart
S.J.Woodward

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 pm

It looked like lots of work had been done on the road down from Ramnaghat when I was there last November. We paddled down to Devisthal anyway as there were no buses running because of a strike.

Has everyone seen this film of the 1st descent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWngZT791w ? Came across it the other day, worth a look if you've not.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”