Beginner level paddles - £100-£150

Inland paddling
CreekingCreepers

Post by CreekingCreepers »

Hi,

I want to purchase some paddles between £100-£150. £150 is about as much as i'm willing to spend. I've paddled with Streamlyte Kinetix's many many times before - which are owned by the club that i paddle with. To me they feel like solid paddles but i've never spent longer than a minute or two in the pool or on flat water with expensive paddles like Werner powerhouses. So i don't really know expensive paddles feel like in comparison. I've been checking out the available paddles within this price range. I mainly see the Streamlyte Kinetix, Werner Rio, Werner Desperado, and the Palm G5.

So the main question that i have is, if i was to purchase one of these, which would you recommend? And any particular reason why?

Secondly, is there paddle that i haven't mentioned within this price range that you would recommend over these? And if so, why?

LucyLou19

Re: Beginner level paddles - £100-£150

Post by LucyLou19 »

Nomad paddles-

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider »

Speak to Stu at VE paddles. He often sells factory seconds which may get a glass fibre blade on glass fibre black shaft within your budget or just over the top end. They will be custom built for you in the uk and a bomber set of blades. In my opinion a far superior blade to those mentioned above. The other option is to look for a second hand set in your size to keep cost down but a better paddle.

Just had a look and VE are £179 for glass blades on glass shaft on the website. So if you can get some cosmetic seconds from Stu and the discount they bring then they arewell in your budget for custom blades.

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

Try looking for a decent set of blades second hand first there's plenty knocking about, if you can at least get glass blades you don't have to get fancy carbon but glass are miles better than plastic blades, the werner plastic blades aren't very nice and are pretty heavy.

Nicky
Nicholas Ball

CreekingCreepers

LucyLou19 wrote:Nomad paddles-
Who sells Nomad paddles? I've have a cheeky Google any nothing seems to appear.
mountain_bikerider wrote:Speak to Stu at VE paddles. He often sells factory seconds which may get a glass fibre blade on glass fibre black shaft within your budget or just over the top end.
Cheers for the advice. How would i get in touch with Stu? Factory seconds, as in refurbished or with manufactured faults?

I thought about buying second hand but then i thought about how paddles can break. I can only assume that they could break if mistreated. I wouldn't want to paddle a river and they suddenly break because the previous owner had weakened them. Are my assumptions wrong and it's all down to manufacturing faults?

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider »

Hi the VE are cosmetic seconds so might not look perfect but are still as strong and durable as their regular paddles. Email Stu on info@vepaddles.co.uk ad have a chat he is a nice guy and will explain everything and advise on length and feather etc

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite »

I love my Werner Amigo, but I'm small and needed a small-shaft, short(ish) paddle that was reasonably priced. It's not as light as a carbon paddle, but you're a beginner, so...
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 »

Nomad paddles are slalom paddles produced in llangollen at the nomad factory. Factory seconds often for sale. Will be the best buy you ever make.

MarkEb

Post by MarkEb »

Nomad do more than just slalom paddles. They will make you what ever shape blade you want in either glass or carbon. Prices are good, especially when compared to Werner paddles.

MarkEb

Post by MarkEb »

http://www.nomadcanoes.co.uk/
Website is a little out of date so ring them.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

I quite like the Streamlyte Kinetix, I like the shape and the blade isn't too flexible, I have long considered they were easily the best paddle available at around the £100 mark. The Werner plastic blades are rubbish in comparison. I haven't used the Palm paddle so I can't comment on these.

Another option if you can go to the top end of your price range are the Double Dutch Typhoon glass blade available from Hydra Sports. I have the Carbon myself, and again I like the shape, and they seem to be at least equal in strength and robustness as similar paddles from other manufacturers.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

CreekingCreepers

I think the Amigo's are probably too small for myself, since i'm not the smallest of men out there.

It's a shame that the Nomad website is out of date. In this day and age, having an out of date website for a profitable company makes me wonder how on the ball they actually are and whether i would want to trust purchasing off them. The product or the after sale service. I haven't crossed them off my list though.

At the weekend i had a go with some friend's Werner Powerhouses, Sherpas, and Double Dutches. I absolutely hated the Double Dutches, they just felt awkward, no idea why they felt so awkward but i was glad to give them back. Trying the Werner's has tempted me to pay extra for paddles or buy second hand, as i could feel the difference between them and the Kinetix's. Not getting on with the Double Dutches as much as i did, has made me cautious about buying paddles without trying them or a similar blade from that manufacturer.

What do people think of using play boating paddles for river running? How do they feel river running when compared to river running paddles?

I saw the video that Unsponsored posted on Facebook today. I noticed that they were paddling with Ainsworths River(Glass) and River(Carbon) or i assume it' carbon, since the nylon versions are the same colour. What do people think of these? I notice that they're about £50-100 cheaper than Werner powerhouese/sherpas/players/etc etc..... Is this because they're not as strong as a brand name or because the quality of the paddles are worst?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”