FACEBOOK

morsey

Re: Untouchables

Post by morsey »

I'd like some of that please

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

What about that rapid at approximatley 09:50 to 10:55, some show boating going on with two or three of the fella's at the bottom of it there...

Strad

Post by Strad »

I have to agree with Mark - stunning, it looks so 'doable in the video whereas I'm pretty certain if I was actually there I would be taking photo's / bank support with absolutely no thought of getting in the boat.

Neptune wrote:What about that rapid at approximatley 09:50 to 10:55, some show boating going on with two or three of the fella's at the bottom of it there...
As featured in the hardest inconsequential rapid thread :-).
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

morsey

Post by morsey »

Strad wrote:it looks so 'doable in the video
It looks freako difficult to me, there is one section where they pan from above and the water speed is full throttle. The intensity of the rapids, the water speed and the gradient come across very well in that video, it ain't no free ride on the West side, it's the moonshine on the Cali line.

Strad

Post by Strad »

morsey wrote:
Strad wrote:it looks so 'doable in the video
It looks freako difficult to me, there is one section where they pan from above and the water speed is full throttle. The intensity of the rapids, the water speed and the gradient come across very well in that video, it ain't no free ride on the West side, it's the moonshine on the Cali line.
Exactly what I'm trying to say - they make it look easy, and watching the vid you can see the lines they are going for, but, precisely as you say, in truth it's a monster.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

So last year! ;-)

I want bigger harder rapids, if they want to keep their life time supply of Redbull they need to earn it!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Standard GoPro footage always seem to make a river look flatter than it is until they break out and look upstream. The technique used in this vid and in a couple of others I've seen recently of a shot from the bank immediately followed by a shot from the paddler is great for giving you a good idea of the force and technicality of the river. Love it!

morsey

Post by morsey »

Strad wrote:
morsey wrote:Exactly what I'm trying to say - they make it look easy,
Think we are coming from different angles. To me they show it for what it is, tres difficult! Those big ramps of water remind of sections in Norway, where you have to run with full speed. A week of steep Cali boating to get in the groove then hit that up and hope the levels are on the money. Because of the slide/deep water aspect that looks nicer than some UK class five mank! In fact, in my book, any rivers which consistently take high flows (glacial/snow melt) inherently seem to be cleaner than rain feeders! Especially where it involves vertical aspect.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

morsey wrote: Because of the slide/deep water aspect that looks nicer than some UK class five mank!
I agree - I'd be *theoretically* more inclined to run that than, say, Cauldron Manky Snout.

However...Cali's bedrock rivers are surprisingly bad for evil 'room-of-doom' potholes and also siphons/ sieves. Don't be deceived by the nice smooth rock...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

darinm

Post by darinm »

Of course it looks a lot worse in person, the first ~9 meter drop looks like it lands on rock. The second issue is that it's at the end of the second, long day of three and very remote. One could plan to run it and camp above which would make a lot more sense than arriving exhausted. These are the kind of opportunities that open up after people really get to know the run, which isn't easy to do on something that flows once a year.

Scouting it takes longer than just portaging (which goes way around the gorge so you don't see anything) I've walked it six times, once after having the worst swim of my life on a smaller drop a few minutes upstream. Humbling run but one of my favorites, the whole thing alternates between tough gorges and meadows so you do get nice chances to look up and soak in the scenery.

siwiles

Post by siwiles »

Fantastic video. As posted before alt ofthis stuff you don'tsee when portaging... we made a few portages... Some of them pretty long. In fact alot of the stuff run. .. There's also alot more on that run than shown on the video. Definitely one of my all time highlights. .

kayakingistheway

Post by kayakingistheway »

6:47
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

One of the best rivers I have ever paddled. Looking into some of the gorges is just jaw dropping with back to back grade 5 rapids as far as the eye can see!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”