Which dry suit ?

Inland paddling
Frank B

Which dry suit ?

Post by Frank B »

Its time to replace my well worn dry top and dry pants and am thinking of a dry suit for next winter. Any recommendations (or ones to avoid). Budget up to £450

thanks

Frank

ruralweb

Re: Which dry suit ?

Post by ruralweb »

White water or Sea Kayaking use?
Mal

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

White water

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler »

Immersion Research Double-D, PeakUK Creek, Typhoon Multisport 4, or what about a made-to-measure DamX?
Think any of these four would be excellent & just about within budget.
I have the Double-D which has been trouble-free now for nearly three years.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I agree with and can add my vote for the multisport as I have one but stear clear of LOMO they leak
Mal

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

For cold places, I've been incredibly happy with my Dam X suit and their after sales support.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

Id say for that money you wont go wrong with Typhoon Multisport 4.
3 year dry guarantee and quality zips.
If you do any solo paddling then for ease id go for the peak creek suit.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

I have just seen Sweet Protection Have entered the dry suit market, and from the specs it does look like a VERY nice bit of kit, but I also suspect will be a top end price :(
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

James Hartley wrote:I have just seen Sweet Protection Have entered the dry suit market, and from the specs it does look like a VERY nice bit of kit, but I also suspect will be a top end price :(
The fact they've called it the intergalactic may suggest an out of this world price, but just imagine all the kudos you'll be bathing in on the bank, be hard to get in the boat though with the world worshiping at your feet.......
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Yew

Post by Yew »

I have heard rumors the Intergalactic might be a little cheaper than you would expect.. Then again I have also heard some that it will be a £1000 suit...

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey »

Sweet suit is definitely a £1000 er but just puts it in the league of kokatat.
All abit rich for me.

davedraperdesign

Post by davedraperdesign »

No-one rate the Palm Torrent Suit?

I certainly do! I know everyone likes to defend there own kit, but I refuse to move away from Palm because the kit and customer service have always been spot on. I owned the old sidewinder torrent cag and dry strousers (bib style) for about 6/7 years. Cag is still bone dry (after 1 replaced neck seal which palm did within a few days for about £30)... bib trousers a bit leaky now but they have seen alot of hammer, including tree climbing setting up slalom events and safety boat work. These good experiences led me to get a new Torrent suit over a year ago.

Suit has been great! The cut is superb and fits like a glove, especially when compared with some of the other suits and cags on the market which look excessively baggy! Quality and details on he suit are great... very comfy and very dry.

Mine is still bone dry (my dads original sidewinder suit... again 6-7 years old... is still bone dry and it has seem some use!), I have heard complaints of the palm gear delaminating but I genuinely think this is because of how some people store their kit. My suit gets rinsed and left to dry in the house after every use and hung in the spare wardrobe when dry! If you leave them soggy in a kit bag then they won;t last!

I would fully recommend!

icklepaddler

Post by icklepaddler »

Multisport 4 at christmas for £360 including a free underfleece suit. No complaints so far.

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

Thanks for all the replies. Given me some ideas

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

I bought a Nookie Assassin last year after getting an offer on a new one that was too good to refuse.
I'd heard bad press around zip failures on this suit so was wary but Nookie said they've addressed this.

I've had the suit 9 months now and it's seen a lot of action. I haven't swum whilst wearing it (yet) but I've spent a fair bit of time upside down and paddling through the cold winter months, I have to say I have been impressed.
My previous suit ( a Stikine) felt bomproof but was heavy and delaminated making it impossible to repair. I'm very disciplined with looking after all my kit so have to disagree with the post that said it will last if you look after it. I think luck plays a part with suits some just do better than others.
The Assassin is very light to wear and the freedom of movement is noticably better than other suits I've owned. Definitely worth a look!

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

I was considering a Nookie Assasin too but opted for a Multisport 4 which so far has served me well since November, lots of upside Downtime and even 2 velay rescues (1 practicing and 1 for real) and didnt even get flushed, no water penetrating yet.
I had a palm Torrent previously and it was fine, just wore out and I would have got another but the medium was too small and the large too big so just went for the one that fitted which so far is right desicion.
Mark

davedraperdesign

Post by davedraperdesign »

Kayak-Bloke wrote:I bought a Nookie Assassin last year after getting an offer on a new one that was too good to refuse.
I'd heard bad press around zip failures on this suit so was wary but Nookie said they've addressed this.

I've had the suit 9 months now and it's seen a lot of action. I haven't swum whilst wearing it (yet) but I've spent a fair bit of time upside down and paddling through the cold winter months, I have to say I have been impressed.
My previous suit ( a Stikine) felt bomproof but was heavy and delaminated making it impossible to repair. I'm very disciplined with looking after all my kit so have to disagree with the post that said it will last if you look after it. I think luck plays a part with suits some just do better than others.
The Assassin is very light to wear and the freedom of movement is noticably better than other suits I've owned. Definitely worth a look!

With respect my post says the exact opposite of what you have put... it says 'If you leave them soggy in a kit bag then they won;t last!'... You can't imply the opposite from this statement! lol! I look after my gear and up to now it has lasted... by the sounds of it you do. I just hear a lot of people whining about gear that leaks and they leave it soggy in a corner for months!

Have to agree with your comments on the Assassin. Looks a good bit of kit.

Mikers

Post by Mikers »

I've a Multisport 3. It isn't a great fit, the Palm Sickything was better for me. But the Palm was a couple of hundred more and I really did not like the zip position.

The Multisport zip runs across the top of the shoulders, so it doesn't dig into your arms / armpits like suits where the zip runs behind your shoulders.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

With respect my post says the exact opposite of what you have put... it says 'If you leave them soggy in a kit bag then they won;t last!'... You can't imply the opposite from this statement! lol! I look after my gear and up to now it has lasted... by the sounds of it you do. I just hear a lot of people whining about gear that leaks and they leave it soggy in a corner for months! 
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My point was I had a Stikine and it died young even though I looked after it. It was out of warranty though...but only by six months.

Nige

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”