Is Perception's guarantee/service any good ?

Inland paddling
geyrfugl

Is Perception's guarantee/service any good ?

Post by geyrfugl » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:43 pm

It's only the eighth river this boat's done, I got a good boof and landed nicely, but my stern went AWOL !!

OK, admittedly the boat was bought in 1996 but it's still a bit off - I didn't even feel (or hear) a bump !
One owner from new, and hardly used :-(

Andy

Poke

Re: Is Perception's guarantee/service any good ?

Post by Poke » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Haha. Unlucky.

No matter how good Perceptions customer service I think I can safely say that will not be covered under warranty.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

NevillefromCarnforth

Post by NevillefromCarnforth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:14 pm

the manufcaturers warranty only covers defects in materials or workmanship, for the period specified from the date of purchase- not wear ant tear. geting kit trashed comes with the territory i'm afraid

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm

I have a mac built in 1999 that doesn't work any more, do you think Apple will fix it under warranty?

:-)

(I'm joking, but I might have one all the same!)

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Jim wrote:I have a mac built in 1999 that doesn't work any more, do you think Apple will fix it under warranty?

:-)

(I'm joking, but I might have one all the same!)

Actually it is not unknown for manufacturing defects to be covered by apple a long time out of warranty

AHPP

Post by AHPP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 pm

I have a pair of very well used and therefore fairly fucked Scarpa SLs that I plan to see if Scarpa will replace in return for using them in an advertising scheme about how well their boots last. I was thinking along the lines of, "Merrells look like this after 3 days."

Iain W

Post by Iain W » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 pm

It is 18 years old. Do I need to say anything more? It is 17 years out if warranty. Do you really think that should be covered by warranty or even worth asking?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Send me the original image and I'll photoshop it back on for ya. No need to trouble Perception.
dave

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 pm

I kind of get the impression that the odd person might have been taking me seriously here. Just because I always want everything to come with at least a fifty year no-quibble replacement guarantee covering accidental damage if it is going to qualify for the accolade "any good" (don't laugh - when I started driving, Kwik-fit did a no quibble replacement guarantee against accidental damage to tyres and replaced mine when my exhaust had come loose and been wired up too close to the tyre, melting the inside wall). Even if it did, I'm going to have to void the warranty anyway to get it welded up with an improvised aft grab handle before the Tees race next Sunday... Otherwise I'm going to be in a modern playboat rather than an "ultimate playboat" as the 1995 Perception catalogue described it (my H2 also has a hole which I'll want to fix more carefully as that's only ten years old and I expect a good deal more use out of it yet). Anyway, I'm sure there's a condition that says "no user-serviceable parts" somewhere. It's the same old story - hardware engineers holding up crossed fingers or garlic or something and screaming "beware programmers with soldering irons!". Drastic field mods to the BBC micro worked fine, so I'm sure I can melt a good-as-new-but-a-bit-smaller stern onto the Pirouette ! Since real-world guarantees are actually useless the important motto is "if you can't fix it yourself you shouldn't have bought it in the first place". That's why I don't use Windows (TM).

If it was a Dyson I'd expect an instant replacement. "No loss of suction ever" they say. "Ever" is a decent length of guarantee - and since it doesn't specify circumstances, it covers power cuts, meteor strike, heat death of the universe... However, at the moment, my Dyson is blocked (I get loss of suction in as little as thirty seconds using it in my workshop) and this boat sucks - which one is better ? ;-)
I have a pair of very well used and therefore fairly fucked Scarpa SLs
Oh yeah, hiking boots under guarantee, no problem. I had a pair which had been used caving in Mexico for two months, then walking in the USA for another three. Since they rarely dried out, the stitching had rotted from the inside and I got them replaced no quibble at all on my return to the UK. At the caving shop where I bought them, who knew perfectly well where I had been with them.

But at the end of the day, I don't think a boat which has only been out a few times should just sheer off with an impact the user didn't even notice. The same boat took a split in the hull when it was only a few years old and on it's fifth river (also from a bump I didn't notice at the time and took some while to figure out when it must have happened), so I suspect the plastic has been brittle since it was new. Won't be buying Perception again !

Andy

thefryers

Re:

Post by thefryers » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:44 am

geyrfugl wrote:I kind of get the impression that the odd person might have been taking me seriously here.
Some people have no sense of humour ......

Adrian Cooper

Re:

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 am

geyrfugl wrote:Won't be buying Perception again !
With the current frequency of your purchases from them, they may not notice the effect on their sales chart.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 am

It's 18 years old - things age especially if you don't use them!

Good luck finding another kayak manufacturer than will give a 20 year warranty - I've had perception boats since 1983 and never had any problems but even with my current 4 year old perception I would consider it out of warranty.
Mal

Poke

Re:

Post by Poke » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:11 am

But at the end of the day, I don't think a boat which has only been out a few times should just sheer off with an impact the user didn't even notice.
You are trolling, right?
You know what happens to plastic over time. It goes brittle. Google it if you dont believe me.
A similar impact on a newer boat would have bent the end upwards instead.

The reason you probably didnt feel much of an impact is because the back of the boat will have clipped a rock at water level, the front of the boat being supported by the water. You've then got the boat momentarily pinned with a tonne (?) of water hammering onto the back deck.

Not much of a surprise that it would fail?

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 am

Not a common injury though, you'll all agree?

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Great stuff Andy, I bet the rest of the group wet themselves laughing... They just don't build stuff to last like they used to?

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Still paddling my Perception Super Sport bought in 1995. It has survived annual Alps trips etc. Great all round boat.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 pm

AHPP wrote:I have a pair of very well used and therefore fairly fucked Scarpa SLs that I plan to see if Scarpa will replace in return for using them in an advertising scheme about how well their boots last. I was thinking along the lines of, "Merrells look like this after 3 days."
Hey, I have a set of SLs, must be over 20 years old now because I got them before I went to university - they are on their 3rd sole now, last time I sent them to shoecare (who must have been called LSR for nearly 10 years) they advised me that the uppers wouldn't take another sole because they have to cut a bit back each time. Since then they got used for buggy racing for a while unti lthe leather started breaking up (I think sand and saltwater didn't work as a conditioner). Do these have a lifetime warranty, maybe I could get a new pair, I always liked them!

The Berghaus boots I replaced them with were rubbish in comparison, they have been waiting for a new sole for years but didn't like them enough to get round to sending them away.....

Crumbs, if I went to Washington in 2013, my Sportiva boots have done well - the SLs probably had 3 soles in 10 years, the Berghaus I really didn't get much use from at all, the Sportiva's are still on the original sole - I have probably done less hillwalking in the last 11 years than the 10 or so before but they still have a lot of miles on them (soles are starting to look a little worn now though).

I never did get round to taking my Platypus in and see if the lifetime warranty would be honoured. I lost it off the deck in Loch Dunvegan 1 Easter, and found it washed up on the beach at Camasunary the following Easter (must have been mine even through it was on the opposite side of Skye). It's less of a bottle now and more like a sheet of plastic with a neck at one end.... I certainly didn't abuse it, I even spent about 5 minutes paddling backwards and forwards over the area I lost it trying to spot it....

I think we could have fun with this thread!

Jon_Brown

Post by Jon_Brown » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm right behind you on this one Andy I have a guarantee claim in with my manufacture as despite being born with hair on my head it has now started (well perhaps mainly) to fall out.
I've always looked after it well, never combing or brushing it, keeping it short so gravity wouldn't pull it out and I've never placed my head on one of those hotel shoe shine machines (although I'm considering it now). I see many people my age who still have hair so it is very obviously a manufacturing defect.

Any recommendations from those of you who have retained their hair, whilst too late for me, may help others.

minty

Post by minty » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Can't believe how seriously some folk have taken this post. I would say that perceptions warranty is good though. I had a Blaze which had a failure of the hip pad pump bulb. I phoned and they said that they don't do whitewater stuff anymore but had a bulb which they sent out free of charge along with some stickers. Job done. Anyway if they don't honour the warranty just adopt an aggressive paddling position this should stop water entering the rear of the kayak. If you decide to sell it stand behind the kayak when doing viewings.

Regarding the hair thing I never looked after mine, brushed at least 100 times each night, had mohicans, colouring etc and now I have none so I guess it's heditary.

alick
Ambition and ability I've got too much of one and very little of the other

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am

It occurs to me the solution to your problem is simple Andy -- since you have a large hole in your kayak through which water can enter, you clearly need another large hole through which the water can leave. Problem solved!
As for the hair thing, I have nearly reached a half-century in age, during which I've coloured, bleached, crimped, mohicaned, grown down to my ar*e, cut off short, grown again, cut again, brushed a million times and even washed sometimes and I still have a luxuriant full head of hair which (I'm absolutely certain) is the envy of every right thinking man who sees it so I think it has to do with being a model citizen -- being a shining example of how life should be lived....
Giles

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:45 am

minty wrote:Can't believe how seriously some folk have taken this post.
Guilty as charged.
geyrfugl wrote:I kind of get the impression that the odd person might have been taking me seriously here.
Poke wrote:You are trolling, right?
Should have read the entire thread before posting :-)

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 am

Randy Fandango wrote:I still have a luxuriant full head of hair
Same! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

***I may have been slightly stitched up!

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Actually, guarantee not required after all. It was nothing I couldn't fix with a blowtorch and an old tent peg. So I'll be all GO! for the Upper Tees race on Sunday ;-) [this time, I *am* serious] Provided it survives a quick test in Richmond baths tonight, of course.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 pm

The reason you probably didnt feel much of an impact is because the back of the boat will have clipped a rock at water level, the front of the boat being supported by the water
Err, actually, the bow of the boat would have been a metre or so in the air at the time of impact - as I said, I got a decent boof, the stern caught the lip of the fall, with almost all of the rest of the boat and paddler out of the water. Video at 48 fps shows no jerk in the motion of the boat, so it couldn't have hit very hard.

Anyway, since the boat's now a foot shorter, and it took no more damage from its second run over Low Force (yes, with the stern missing - I had plenty of airbagness in the stern), I'm sure it will be fine on Sunday. Not much to lose if not ;-)

Andy

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Neat work!

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:14 pm

What repair?

My hair has vanished too. Thinking of writing to British Gas to complain.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Are you allowed to enter in a modified boat?

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 pm

You're probably frowned upon for winning in a modified boat, but there's not much risk of that. Main class is for boats up to nine feet long, so I'm already in the minority "long boat" category. And apparently "veteran" starts many years before middle age. So I might perhaps do OK in the "verteran in modified old school boat longer than nine feet" class - don't suppose there's enough to give away that there would be a prize for that ;-) Boater-X may simply break the end off again, of course. Does the whole boat have to cross the finish line to count ?

As for hair, mine was fine until I got married. After that, I think I may have invalidated my warranty by excessive abuse (tearing it out goes with having kids). I suspect dyeing it red did it good - might have to try another colour next time, since I broke my red-bladed paddle in half and I've holed my red H2, so I'll be looking for a new set of matching kit to choose a hair colour from... Current paddle has blue blades, though, and I don't think I'll ever fit the "blue rinse" image :-( and my other helmets are white (don't need dye for that) and lime green (yuck...)

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 pm

geyrfugl wrote:Main class is for boats up to nine feet long, so I'm already in the minority "long boat" category.
Liking the effort you're going to to try and get it under 9 feet though! Maybe do the other end too?
Jim wrote:Are you allowed to enter in a modified boat?
Yes!

Regretting doing this to my old Mirage now, that would have been a guaranteed race winner! It died on the Ashop/Lady Clough when I couldn't get at my proper boat one night - do you reckon Perception might give me a new one?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”