Proposed restrictions on Wye between Glasbury and Hay

Inland paddling
Pam Bell

Proposed restrictions on Wye between Glasbury and Hay

Post by Pam Bell » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 pm

South Wales Outdoor Activity Providers Group (SWOAPG) wrote:As agreed at the last full SWOAPG meeting we have made a representation on behalf of the group in the WUF group meetings. The WUF have proposed that access be limited from the 15th March depending on the water levels (as per other stretches of the river). We have been working hard to try and revert or change these conditions and as a result there is an access proposal that i would urge you to read and to make comment on:

Outline of proposals

1. Canoeing Organisations using the Glasbury to Hay section would sign up to the terms and conditions for use (as below)
2. They will display the terms and conditions at agreed places and ensure any other canoeist is aware of them
3. Canoe launching is confined between the hours of 10.00am and 4.00pm from the Bont
4. There will be no launching from any other point that would result in arrival downstream at a either an earlier or later time. Estimates will be made timings from alternative sites such as Hollybush Inn etc
5. There will be no landing except in the case of genuine emergency
6. Canoe Organisations will endeavour to spread the load especially in summer by using reaches below Hay
7. WUF will be responsible for signage

Chalky723

Re: Proposed restrictions on Wye between Glasbury and Hay

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 pm

If CW get in quick they'll be able to set up a ticket stall at the Bont & charge all those pesky river users.....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm confused by this. I don't know who the WUF and the SWOAPG represent (except that they don't represent me) but it seems to be a proposal that "Canoeing Organisations" will sign up to something, and then "ensure any other canoeist is aware". But "any other canoeist" won't have signed up to the proposals?

swimboater

Post by swimboater » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:43 pm

I Goggled it and came up with this:

"The Wye Usk Foundation are considering lifting the access period conditions to the popular Glasbury to Hay stretch of the Wye and would like to know the comments, feedback and notes you may have on agreeing to these proposals for access:"

http://www.swoapg.org.uk/index.php/news ... ry-to-hay/

They have asked for comments to the email address shown on this page.

quicky

Post by quicky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:50 pm

Each group of anglers is proposing something different. It's all arbitrary nonsense....

This will be our fault as well soon....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26437099

dougdew99

Post by dougdew99 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 am

This looks like an agreement between SWOAPG and WUF. It has no significance for anyone else as far as I can tell.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28 am

Funny how all these new access agreement things are popping up all over at the time of a Government consultation on countryside access. Sound like deja vu?

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 am

Hopefully the South Wales Providers will just say to the WUF. They have no legal obligation to accept WUF as the access controlling body. With the wealth of experience within the South Wales Providers they should draw up their own "code of conduct", which reflects safe practise and attends to bonafide environmental concerns, and which respects other river users. There is no evidence on the Wye to suggest any restriction of use is required, there is no evidence to suggest there are any environmental issues from general canoeing activities. There is no need for any agreement with WUF from any group, organisation or club, because the WUF is a self appointed body that has zero, Zero, authority to control navigation.

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 am

If an example/comparison of the above is required I'd suggest looking at the gorge walking/canyoning self regulatory scheme set up for the afon Mellte and tributaries, by the providers there. It's easy enough to find on the internet and also provides an information base for non commercial users, and is a potentially higher impact activity, in a higher considered environmentally sensitive area than canoeing on the Wye, most probably on all rivers for general canoeing activity.

quicky

Post by quicky » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Actually with correspondance with the the spokeperson I have spoke to seemed to be for them as he seems to mistakenly think that he wont be hassled then..... if only they realised what they were doing......

From SOTP
I've posted on SotP "It's revealing that 4 out of 7 of the proposed "conditions" are concerned with publicising the "agreement". It seems that appearances are more important to them than substance. "

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Well me and my mates have just made an agreement that cars can only use the M1 between the hours of darkness. We agreed this with some lorry haulage firm in Leeds so now we are going to go and publicize it.
So everyone please stop using the M1 in daylight. Okay?
dave

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Sorry Dave, but my agreement takes precedence over yours. I have agreed with John H Smith Hauliers that lorries will be using the M1 only during darkness while only cars can use the motorway during the day. This is to help with the migratory patterns of road sales executives.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:34 pm

You and your pesky vehicles can keep off 'my' motorway.
I own a field at the side of it so it's up to me and my mate to decide who can drive on it.
dave

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Sorry Dave, but there are known breeding areas for sales reps along many of the Travel Lodge service station stops, and these must be protected. Any opposition to this means that they will not be able to make the migratory path from London to the upper reaches of the country. Many of the roadworks have already caused unneeded obstruction to this.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”