Lochearnhead and around

Inland paddling
neilvenn

Lochearnhead and around

Post by neilvenn »

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum so I hope this is in the right place.

I'm going to Lochearnhead with a large group of Scouts in the summer for a couple of weeks and whilst they are up there we want to give them the opportunity to try kayaking - some may have a little experience but not likely very much. Can anyone please advise some gentle flat water we could use for them.
We would want no more than Scout grade B1 water - that is "sheltered inland waters and other sheltered water where currents and tides create no real danger". The Scout website lists the following B1 waters:
"River Tay (from Perth to Loch Tay) except where specified elsewhere
Rivers Isla and Earn
Loch Faskally and Loch of Lowes
All open non-tidal waters unless otherwise classified"
What are these like please?

Thanks
Neil

comedysteve

Re: Lochearnhead and around

Post by comedysteve »

Loch earn Would be the closest!

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Many years ago I recall that scouts at the Station used a smallish loch at the head of glen ogle and that may still be the case. If Maurice Baker is still the warden he will have all the information you need!

neilvenn

Post by neilvenn »

comedysteve wrote:Loch earn Would be the closest!
Do you think?

:-)

What we know about Loch Earn is that it's big, it's deep, it's cold and it can get rough out there. Apparently there is a sheltered bay but I'm thinking that a small bay could get a bit tedious. So we're looking for other options - so I'll look into the loch at the head of Glen Ogle - cheers to DaveB for that.

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As »

neilvenn wrote: "River Tay (from Perth to Loch Tay)
This might be a little bit tiring.
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

In days gone by, I did what you're going to be doing - the Station is a fabulous place. We frequently paddled Loch (EDIT - Loch Earn, not Tay) around the head of the loch, launching from the beach by the water sports centre. They were, in those days anyway, amenable when asked. As has been commented, the loch can get rough though.

Also consider Loch Lubnaig. We never bothered with the wee loch at Glenogle I have to say. We've also used the various rivers, notably of course the run down the Teith from Calendar - and even the Leny - although that's pushing the limits a bit and you need to be wary of the Falls!! Not getting the eddy above them can prove interesting - - -

We've also used the Tay from Kenmore down, although again you may want to be wary of Grandtully if you consider going that far down. Loch Tay itself is of course also a good flat water paddling opportunity, and launching out of Kenmore offers some pleasing paddling and the opportunity to visist the reconstructed crannog.

As has been mentioned, if Maurice is still the warden, he'll be able to offer advice. Enjoy - a place with many, many happy memories. Mike.

neilvenn

Post by neilvenn »

Thanks MikeB - that's great.

So are the rivers and lochs you mention suitable for first timers? For scouts with a couple of hours (morning on still water, afternoon moving)? Or would they need a little more experience than that?

KevfaeFife

Post by KevfaeFife »

Kizzie_St-As wrote:
neilvenn wrote: "River Tay (from Perth to Loch Tay)
This might be a little bit tiring.
Thats funny.

Typo aside, Kenmore (Loch Tay) down to Grandtully has some chunky water in places and not what you're after.

I'd second Loch Lubnaig. Easy access, just down the road from Lochearnhead.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

neilvenn wrote:Thanks MikeB - that's great.

So are the rivers and lochs you mention suitable for first timers? For scouts with a couple of hours (morning on still water, afternoon moving)? Or would they need a little more experience than that?
Certainly we used Loch Lubnaig as one of our "intro waters" - on a nice day, it's a great place. Likewise, the head of Loch Earn (not Tay - I've edited the earlier post). Once the Scouts had basic boat control, and enough skills to do so safely, we would use the very start of the Leny where it exits Loch Lubnaig as the intro to moving water - there are several small eddies etc. There are ample opportunities to deal with recovery before the river gets anywhere near "interesting", but if its in spate then that's a different matter and I have had an experienced Venture Scout lose a boat at the bridge down stream, which ended up at Kilmahog.

We certainly only took competent Venture age paddlers down the Leny, and of course that might be outside remit these days! (No "might" about it - - -). Making the eddy before the Falls can be a challenge, but we would often go on below them. That said, there are still a few rather nasty places down stream.

My own view would be that getting yp onto moving water after only a morning on flat water would be pushing the limits a bit (but others may disagree - - ). I'm not quite sure how they'll have developed the boat skills, let alone become proficient with wet exits and rescue at that stage. I'm guessing of course that the people running this will be in possession of the relevant authorisations from SA? And as such will be able to make an informed judgement on the conditions. Apologies if this is "egg sucking".

Anyway, this was May, 1990. I had hair in those days. 1st Kilsyth and 1st Eldwick (Bingley) joint camp. Some Scouting types may recognise Margaret Bennet who was Booking Secretary back in the day. What is very scary is being reminded that most of those folk are now older than I was when I met them, and at least one of the girls has a daughter older than she was at the time the picture was taken. Still, if your Scouts get the memories that lot have, then all good!

MBAdventures

Post by MBAdventures »

There is also a great river trip you can on the Fallin river. Flows through Crinalarich down to Loch Lubhiar then into the Dochart in Killin. There are two lochs you paddle through, one has a cool castle in it. Give me a shout if you need more info. I live in Crianlaich.

The Old Prospector

Post by The Old Prospector »

Definitely ask Maurice, assuming he's still involved (he did mention the lochan up the glen last time I spoke to him, about 6/7 years ago). Down by Balquhidder, you might try Loch Voil and, as already suggested, Loch Lubnaig; linking them is the River Balvaig which could make a pleasant short trip, if there's enough water. The far end of Loch Earn is OK too, with an island/crannog to see.

I would also have thought that Herts Scouts would have some suggestions.
Damien

neilvenn

Post by neilvenn »

Thanks for everyone's advice - we'll take it all into consideration. Sounds like there are some options - particularly if the paddlers are competent.

Cheers.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”