River Tees - dangerous cable!!!!

Inland paddling
kendokiddy

River Tees - dangerous cable!!!!

Post by kendokiddy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Paddled the Tees today from Whorlton to Winston, and hanging from the roadbridge immediately upstream of Whorlton lido is what looked like a power cable. The cable is at the lowest point about 2ft above the water. Keep an eye out if your paddling this section as if not seen it's pretty much head/neck height!!!! It's a fairly thick cable so fairly visible, but best be aware of it!

Liz S

Re: River Tees - dangerous cable!!!!

Post by Liz S » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 am

Sounds very dangerous, can you report it to the relevant organization, like the Council or the Environmental Agency? so they can sort it out?

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 am

I've told my friend who works for Norther Powergrid (formerly part of Northern Electric) who has passed the info on to the relevant people, so it should get sorted soon, assuming it is an electric cable.

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Just saw your post Henry. Good to know you have a contact as I got passed from pillar to post trying to report it this morning!

davedraperdesign

Post by davedraperdesign » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 am

3 cables still hanging on Saturday although it looks like someone has tried to raise the ends slightly with blue nylon rope!

Keep and eye out if you are on this section as they are pretty much river wide.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:32 pm

The cables are not Northern Electric's, so they must belong to either the council, BT or they are privately owned.

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:51 am

Just checking - is this from the suspension bridge at Whorlton?

We might be heading that way with a group on Sunday (if there's any water), would rather we didn't neck any of them on a cable...
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

davedraperdesign

Post by davedraperdesign » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes it is. .. Still there today too

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Cheers. We'll keep an eye out then.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:53 am

paddled the section again on the 9th of April, and there are now 5 cables hanging off the bridge with the lowest now touching the water (at a low to medium level), and not much gap between each cable and. They all look like power cables. I'm not getting anywhere with trying to find out who is responsible for them. Anybody got any ideas?

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:24 am

Big Henry wrote:The cables are not Northern Electric's, so they must belong to either the council, BT or they are privately owned.
Your best bet will probably be either the council (but it's probably a border between two which would cause problems!) or the Environment Agency, as they will now be in a position to catch trees being washed down the river. Alternatively, if someone has some spare bits of rope and wants to try and tie it up themselves...!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:03 pm

I sent an incident report to the local authority stating it was dangerous. No action yet then.

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Ive sent emails to the council as non of the utilities companies have all said they are theirs. Will be interesting to see if anything is done.....

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:14 pm

The council have now passed it onto the Highways agency as they are responsible for the bridge, so hopefully it might get sorted....

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

Had a reply off the highways agency this morning. Apparently they are aware of the problem and are in the process of chasing BT who are responsible for the cables. Hopefully sorted soon but worth keeping an eye out if paddling the section.

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Well, paddled section on Friday night and the cables are still there (9/5/14)

The council came back to me 3 weeks ago to say although they were BT's the council had been asked to fix it as BT couldn't do it?!?!

Keep your eyes peeled if paddling this section, as by the looks of it it's going to take a while to put right when the council is involved!! Might be worthwhile a few others emailing the council?

willbailey

Post by willbailey » Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 pm

The annoying thing is its in the tree line done that section a 3 or 4 times this year and as the trees thicken you don't see it until right on top of it

RichA

Post by RichA » Wed May 14, 2014 10:30 am

If someone cuts the cables, I can almost guarantee they will be fixed up pretty quickly!

Strad

Post by Strad » Wed May 14, 2014 10:50 am

RichA wrote:If someone cuts the cables, I can almost guarantee they will be fixed up pretty quickly!
That's been going through my mind too :-).
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed May 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Strad wrote:
RichA wrote:If someone cuts the cables, I can almost guarantee they will be fixed up pretty quickly!
All it needs is for a large bit of driftwood to get snagged on them when there's a bit of flow going through there...
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Just hang a sign on them saying "Copper - Do Not Steal" and wait.....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Unless there is a business customer involved, it will take 2 weeks.

How do I know this?

Reecently a fire in a neighbouring unit melted our overhead phone cable, Openreach told us 2 weeks to get it fixed, but might be faster since it connects to a business, however since we actually get our phone line through another provider using LLU and don't actually give BT any custom, this didn't actually seem to help accelerate our case.

To give them credit, when my boss phoned after a week and they had no record of the initial survey, they sent another surveyor out who despite saying the same thing about 2 weeks actually had a squad on site the next day - but as far as I can tell it was just good luck that a squad was available.

So, by good luck you might get attended to sooner, but the standard response for non-business customers is 2 weeks.

If the lines are used for redcare, it might be treated higher priority, however the redcare service our landlord uses were unaware that there was even a fault so didn't report it....

Ironically, BT/Openreach do have a right to access your land if necessary to service their lines!
I find it hard to beleive they are unable to repair/move lines over rivers though, unless the lines were installed privately at some point in the past and are not technically BT's responsibility?

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Thu May 15, 2014 6:25 am

Strad wrote:
It wasn't just me....
Jim wrote:
Threads been going since 19th Feb, 2 weeks is just fine!
I can roll :)

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 am

Jim wrote:
Threads been going since 19th Feb, 2 weeks is just fine!
Maybe not for the innocent business owner who is oblivious that it's their telephone supply that would be lost for a fortnight!

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Fri May 16, 2014 12:19 pm

I've been in contact yet again with the Highways Action line as its over a month after they last made contact. The last time I contacted them I received a phone call from one of the engineers in their bridge department saying that they were going to carry out the work on behalf of BT. After emailing them yesterday, I got a "not my job / cant be arsed" response back from an un named customer service bod. I replied pressing the point that I had been told on the phone by an engineer that the work was to be carried out, to which I got told "we have no record of a follow-up phone call, you will need to contact BT...."

The previous conversations were quite constructive, so I don't know if I just got through to a miserable tw@t this time or not.

To try and press the point, if everyone who reads this was to send them a quick email reporting the cables, say how dangerous they are, and ask to be informed of action to be taken, they might take a bit more notice??

The email address for the highways action line, which is the public point of contact for such things (and means they should do the chasing round the different agencies, not the person who reported it as I politely but rather to "to the point" pointed out to them yesterday) is - Hal@durham.gov.uk

Even if your outside the area and don't paddle this section, I'm sure those that are and do would appreciate you taking 5mins to send them a quick email. A good number of emails to them might just put a rocket up their arses and maybe get something done before anything nasty happens?

Cheers
Craig

davedraperdesign

Post by davedraperdesign » Fri May 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Sent...

SandfordSailor

Post by SandfordSailor » Fri May 16, 2014 2:06 pm

I've just emailed them as well to ask them what action they are taking.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Reminder sent, commenting on my last note of 21 March!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

You always get a quick response when they can blame someone else. I have been advised almost be return that the matter is now being dealt with by the Highways Agency but I have only been given a telephone number for them 0300 123 5000

Found an email address but they seem to prefer calls

ha_info@highways.gsi.gov.uk

kendokiddy

Post by kendokiddy » Mon May 19, 2014 8:44 am

Adrian Cooper wrote:You always get a quick response when they can blame someone else. I have been advised almost be return that the matter is now being dealt with by the Highways Agency but I have only been given a telephone number for them 0300 123 5000

Found an email address but they seem to prefer calls

ha_info@highways.gsi.gov.uk
Hi Adrian, I got the same message back, but when I contacted the Highways Agency I got a message back saying that they are only responsible for major trunks roads, and that this bridge is not part of their network. The added that this bridge would be under County Council responsibility, I.e. HAL!!?? No joy from BT either....

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”