Should someone of this calibre be running the ‘Brown'

Inland paddling
david-bain

Should someone of this calibre be running the ‘Brown'

Post by david-bain »

I think this video makes us ask out selves a few things?

Is the most dangerous person to paddle with Jack Gunter?

Is it really worth risking your whole sunday with someone with bad karma?

Its videos like this that show how important Tryweryn is for people to up there skills.

James Weight

Re: Should someone of this calibre be running the ‘Brown'

Post by James Weight »

*Ex GB C1 Freestyle Paddler who made the Team by default.

Don't believe everything you read ;)

Justbecka

Post by Justbecka »

Don't be too harsh to Jack! ;)
Last edited by Justbecka on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

Should of walked it off ;-)

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

I don't thinK that counts as the Brown. Why are you being so nasty he clearly broke his back. If there was something for him to learn then he' s learned it right there. If your point is people run things may be they don't have the skill to, then I guess we have all done that at one time or another. It only becomes really dangerous when a person dosent learn from their mistakes and keeps doing it. Gradual building of experience is the key.

Justbecka

Post by Justbecka »

His run was good- nothing to learn from it :) He was lucky not to break his back in the end, only minor injuries (still unlucky though)

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Richard Gunton wrote:I don't thinK that counts as the Brown. Why are you being so nasty he clearly broke his back. If there was something for him to learn then he' s learned it right there. If your point is people run things may be they don't have the skill to, then I guess we have all done that at one time or another. It only becomes really dangerous when a person dosent learn from their mistakes and keeps doing it. Gradual building of experience is the key.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that just possibly the OP is making light of the situation by appearing to ask harsh questions... Indeed I think both the posters who have made seemingly very harsh comments are at uni in Nottingham and are quite likely to know the injured party personally.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Bren o

Post by Bren o »

I fear it may actually be jealousy that inspired this post,
Jack stepped up and ran the brown and has the footage to prove it, I have never seen any proof that Dave Bain has been anywhere near a drop as beige as this.

"Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity" -Robert. A Heinlein

I can only aspire to Jack Gunters greatness and sincerely hope he has a speedy recovery.

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

Grow up

Bren o

Post by Bren o »

Never :)

david-bain

Post by david-bain »

Richard Gunton wrote:Grow up
"If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!”
― J.M. Barrie

Kenny P

Post by Kenny P »

I agree this post is incredibly harsh even if you are ‘supposed’ to be his friends.

Everybody knows to make it in to the big leagues you have to have at least one spinal injury to your name.

It seems like this guy is just trying to step it up, good on him!
Just an average kayaker, with exceptional hair.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

Why have public very selective banter on a public forum? Very Jeremy Kyle!

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

Christ I must be board. Yes climb trees huck water falls ect, but speak with maturity. Im thinking you must be the kind of people who steel traffic cones and turn mirrors on cars the wrong way and think you've had a really cool and different nite out all on your parents money:-))))

DuncanOH

Post by DuncanOH »

Richard Gunton wrote:Christ I must be boring
FTFY

That injury was seriously unlucky. Seen people land flat there and had a tweak but nothing that bad.

neil_f

Post by neil_f »

Friends or not, I don't see the humour or wit in any of this thread. It's a disturbing video and I hope the poor guy makes a full and quick recovery.

I'd be very surprised (and concerned) if there is nothing to learn from it. Most accident investgators don't believe in bad luck.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

A friend of mine broke his pelvis there a few years back. What causes the injury on that line? Is it hitting rocks, landing flat from a height, non aerated water or what?
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

nick 16

Post by nick 16 »

People running that river right line with not ideal water levels can happen but here levels from what i can see look good. Its a weird one because the hit on the water is harder than the hit on the rock halfway down i found in the past but it could be a combination of both one after the other or what happened to one of my friends is that he had a bit of an old niggle in his back he had for years and he did this drop and it made it flare up and he had a very painful back. Also seen in the past videos of this drop when people have hurt themselves theyve been in the wrong body position whilst running the drop and sat in not the best position to absorb the hits.

Hope he's feeling better, but heard on the grape vine his injuries were soft tissue in the end just very painful. Have I heard correct?

Some of the dudes on here need to lighten up a bit the guy is safe and if ive heard right isn't as badly injured as was thought, I'd expect a bit of a friendly mick take from friends .
Nicholas Ball

david-bain

Post by david-bain »

Richard Gunton wrote: kind of people who steel traffic cones and turn mirrors on cars the wrong way and think you've had a really cool and different nite out
The amusing thing here is you think we are the type of people to spend our time on nights out rather than kayaking or working to go kayaking.

Just so you are all aware Jack did not break his back. He is 'back' to his usual witty bantering self here in Nottingham all be it popping paracetamol pills like Es on a "cool and different night out".
eeonz wrote:A friend of mine broke his pelvis there a few years back. What causes the injury on that line? Is it hitting rocks, landing flat from a height, non aerated water or what?
Although it is hard to say for sure I think it is probable the 'injury was caused on the reconnect on the way down. Possibly on the low side for the right hand line but definitely still an option I see this as just fairly unlucky.

neil_f

Post by neil_f »

Really good to hear he is doing well.

Barny P

Post by Barny P »

I bet your the kind of kids that get 'stoked' and give each other 'fist bumps'. Disgracefull in my opinion.

Glad to hear that Jack Grunter is doing so well.
Barny P

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

I put it out there that his run may well have been fine but maybe sitting to upright in his boat, the ledge projects your boat well and the majority land flat, the minority injur them selfs, as we all know the left line goes but i think is alot more commiting and intimidating. personalyi Run the ledge slightly river left of there and dont seem to hit the ledge its smooth and fast and keeps me off the far left drop.

I think this was down to bad luck more than anything, and I hope he gets well soon

kmac

Post by kmac »

The Swale is a quality river, brilliant at high levels. If you haven't paddled it, do it. If you can't paddle it, aim for it. It's a hard river and the rapids should be respected but I got a lot out of pushing myself on this river.

It's a shame an accident happened on Lower Kisdon. It's a weird drop and all the ledges can throw you off in any direction. The line in the video looks good - maybe the water is funny or there's an underwater ledge?

Most importantly, get well and back in your boat soon Jack!! :)

Here's the website for the brilliant mountain rescue involved http://www.swaledalemrt.org.uk

roo

Post by roo »

Nick 16, easy to say with hindsight........now I read troll from the start. But only cause the first sentence didn't make sense to read! The wonders of gopro though presented a really sobering video. The initial comments made me think you guys were sophisticated enough to follow in the footsteps of Ricky Gervais.........

Richard Gunton

Post by Richard Gunton »

roo wrote:........now I read troll from the start
Yeah shame I got sucked in a bit quick, ironic they bit on my comment

morsey

Post by morsey »

Reduced the polo! Sad times ;-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”