Another reason why paddles get thrown!!

Inland paddling
Lancs_lad

Another reason why paddles get thrown!!

Post by Lancs_lad »

Well out of the 4 of us that went to Chile 2 of us are now broken!! :-(

I broke my ankle requiring 3 screws scouting a waterfall (more info in my blog if you're interested) and after I returned home the other victim broke his wrist on the 70 footer middle Palguin. He decided to keep hold of his paddles.

His metal work is more impressive than mine and he actually did it kayaking so a much better story for the ladies! ;-)

One wrist:

and one ankle:

NevillefromCarnforth

Re: Another reason why paddles get thrown!!

Post by NevillefromCarnforth »

Went to my m8s wifes funeral a couple of weeks ago. She didnt smoke, go kayaking , hardly drank or did anything risky- she died of a brain tumor aged 49. Do it all now while you're young enough. fit enough and got the money.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Live life as though there is no tomorrow!

Who can truly say that is their ethos for life? It's a bold thing to do no?

morsey

Post by morsey »

Broken Scafoid, BAD!!! Hope you boys are fixed up okay. Paddle throwing! If you are going big it's got to be a consideration!

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

No regrets from me. Just wish it happened later on in the trip. On crutches now for 6 months.

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw »

Sorry to hear about your talus! Sucks big time, especially with no crutches to start off on.

I seem to remember it taking me around 5(ish) months before I was able to walk normally but I managed to get back in a boat in 4 months. In hindsight, this was reckless but I couldn't hang on any longer... Nothing bad came of it.

Problem with getting off your crutches early (as you probably have been told already) is that your foot could collapse and cause big further problems, but getting back in a boat in under a year is possible!

Good luck with your recovery!

http://ieuanbelshaw.wordpress.com/2012/ ... nsequence/
Ieuan :)

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

Cheers Iuean. I expect Ill be back in my boat well before a year (might not be squatting in the gym tho) but like you said I don't want the bone to collaspe and in a worse case scenario they have to fuse the joint in place.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

Just over 3 weeks since operation I returned to have my stitches removed. They also tried to gradually return my foot to a normal position before they put a new cast on. Still swollen so return in 2 weeks to try and move it even further.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”