Paisley Freight

Inland paddling
Xan

Paisley Freight

Post by Xan »

I went to use these guys after hearing some really good stories about them, but I did notice something that's a total con. If you use their calculator for a package thats not on their list it would cost a very reasonable £15 to collect and deliver an item, however they canceled my order due to the fact it was on their list of popular items and that I would have to pay £39.99. I know thats still a reasonably compedative price for next day, but am I the only one that finds this a bit unfair? Because my item is on a list that caters for items alot bigger and heavier than the one I'm buying I need to pay almost 3 times the price?

When contacted they were not interested in hearing about this which I was really disapointed about.

Xan

Re: Paisley Freight

Post by Xan »

UPDATE!!

Looks like if you say its something else that isn't on their list you will get away with it. Wish I had seen this before ordering as I could have saved myself £20!!!

Bryn_420

Post by Bryn_420 »

Yep it's a sneaky trick with them! As long as you package it up in cardboard as well it's fine. I've had a boat rejected before because it was just in a couple of bin bags. Other than that they're a good service, and to be fair to them they gave me a full refund on my order for the boat so it wasn't the end of the world

nedsdustbin

Post by nedsdustbin »

I have used Paisley a couple of times for both boats and paddles and always thought that £39 was pretty good to get a boat shipped pretty much anyware in the country with almost no effort in a couple of days.
I've never found it cheaper, I think it might be a bit unreasonable to expect to pay £15, thinking about the costs involved.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy »

It is odd, but it depends on who they are using to do the pick up and or delivery, they have used citylink and TnT to my knowledge, each company uses different measuring systems and charging rates, citylink charge by weight to a certain point, then it goes over to a complex volume/weight sum with a minimum charge. Still doesn't explain why the difference in charge at paisleys end though, unless they use differing couriers depending on the item? why?

I've used Paisley a couple of times and never had a complaint.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I've used these guys.

Direct Courier Solutions - £34.95 Next Day & absolutely no problems. Boat was wrapped in bubblewrap rather than cardboard.

They're the ones I'll use again.

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Xan

Post by Xan »

I think it might be a bit unreasonable to expect to pay £15, thinking about the costs involved.
I don't think its unreasonable to expect a consistent price. If you use the calculator and put in the measurements 180x64x35 and 16kg the price comes out as £14.99 for an item that's not of their standard list. Just because its a kayak that's listed on their page (up to 2.5m and 25kg) why should I have to pay nearly 3 times the price of someone that's sending for example sailing gear that is the same size and weight. I'm not expecting to only pay £15 I'd happily pay double that (in fact I did with another courier) it's the inconsistent level of service that is annoying my. A well wrapped Kayak is no more awkward than a bunch of sailing equipment that is wrapped together.

Adam-Evans22

Post by Adam-Evans22 »

Bryn_420 wrote:Yep it's a sneaky trick with them! As long as you package it up in cardboard as well it's fine. I've had a boat rejected before because it was just in a couple of bin bags. Other than that they're a good service, and to be fair to them they gave me a full refund on my order for the boat so it wasn't the end of the world
I think it was me that packed up this boat for Bryn. It was all completely covered with bin bags / cling film / tape so none of it was exposed and all quite secure but it was TNT who turned it away. Apparently TNT won't take a kayak unless it's completely boxed.

The boat i sold before that got picked up by City Link and there wasn't a problem in the way i packed it.

Jwprobinson

Post by Jwprobinson »

Also I have never needed to package a boat with Paisley Frieght, just attach the shipping label. Used 5-6 times and excellent everytime
Regards

James

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

Could it be that there is a difference between a rectangular parcel, which can be stacked with other boxes, and an awkward-shaped kayak, which has to be on top?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”