Longest... and shortest... shuttles

Inland paddling
banzer

Longest... and shortest... shuttles

Post by banzer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:05 pm

jamie conn wrote: Where else in the world can you do a 250km trip with a 60km shuttle?
Ok what river gives you the longest river trip for the shortest shuttle? And conversely, the shortest trip for the longest shuttle? Certainly the Shotover in NZ requires you driving halfway up a mountain, down the other side and along a scary precipitous dirt track for over an hour, for a few kms back again. (The shuttle becomes part of the 'experience!') In the UK the river trip from Rannoch Station back to Fort William would take in two lochs, the river Ossian, the Ghulbeinn, the Upper Spean, Inverlair Falls, Monessie Gorge, Middle, Gorge and Lower Spean.... or just three short stops on the train!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

jam bo

Re: Longest... and shortest... shuttles

Post by jam bo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Dart loop takes about 20mins to walk...

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Karnali goes in a big loop.

dave

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Welsh one... Pysgotwr shuttle is two hours for a 2 hour section (with lots of stopping). By UK standards, I suppose that's long?
Ieuan :)

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 pm

From my house I can walk 500m, paddle 6km on the Browney, 8km on the Wear and then walk less than 1km home.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:05 pm

When it's up, the Arkaig can be run faster than the shuttle.

I don't think Rannoch station would be a very popular start point for a trip to Fort William, I reckon you mean Corrour. On the other hand for those of us stupid enough to try to paddle/portage coast to coast (why did we try it with heavy canoes instead of nice light kayaks?) the shuttle from Kinlochleven to Perth is pretty massive, but longer still (by car) with less paddling and all downhill would be the Ba from the bridge on Rannoch moor to Rannoch station (taking in Loch Ba, River Ba, Loch Laidon and optionally the Garbh Gaoir).

Longest paddle for shortest shuttle, hard to beat something like the Dee using the canal to complete a loop. The Burrs site on the Irwell also counts but is shorter, I have a feeling there might be options on the Bristol Avon using the K&A but no WW. Come to think of it, you could run both the Lochy and the Ness using the Cally canal to complete a loop.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm

When it's running the river above Vallouise, the Gyr? Is a fast short run that is about same time as the shuttle, not that I've run it but seen a few decent paddlers zip down it.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:35 pm

the gyr took us approximatly 14 mins, the shuttle was around 20 from start to finish back to start with the last paddler

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:12 am

Borrow beck is a long shuttle (by UK standards) for not much of a river.

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:46 am

Rory W wrote:From my house I can walk 500m, paddle 6km on the Browney, 8km on the Wear and then walk less than 1km home.
That's impressive!
Jim wrote:I don't think Rannoch station would be a very popular start point for a trip to Fort William, I reckon you mean Corrour.
That's the one...

The Falloch could be the quickest shuttle... 2 minutes up the road maybe?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

I seem to remember the lower tuolumne section get out taking a very long time to get 2 and I drove it twice, once to collect people after Cherry Creek and once to set up for the 2 day section. In a normal car it was hard work!

Some of the shuttles in Greece were pretty extreme for a normal car also and they didn't follow the river. Especially the one that sounded a bit like Hippopotamus with a K where we ended up in a snow covered pass somewhere!

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:32 pm

BigPhil wrote:I seem to remember the lower tuolumne section get out taking a very long time to get 2 and I drove it twice, once to collect people after Cherry Creek and once to set up for the 2 day section. In a normal car it was hard work!
I'm sure it took something like 3 hours, must have been 1.5 each way. It doesn't even go a particularly round about route but you have to climb back up to the ridge and along and down and 50% is on dirt roads. We ran it as a 3 with only 1 roof rack, I didn't drive in those days so guess who got to mind the boats!

The Verdon Gorge shuttle is pretty similar in time too.

Funny but a lot of locals consider the lower T a 2-day trip, whilst the Verdon would be an ideal 2-day trip if you could ever get 2 release days in a row.

I have no idea what a Grand Canyon shuttle works out at, with over 240 miles on the water it's easier to get dropped at the put in and have someone meet you at the takeout..... We've always got a coach from/to Vegas because it's handy for an international group arriving by air, most groups will get a shuttle from Flagstaff with their outfitter though. I guess it all pales into insignificance when you look at some of the options in Canada and Alaska where you have fly to the put in for trips that will take several weeks simply because there is no infrastructure......

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 pm

There are a number of touring loops in the Midlands region which use the canals to get back almost to the beginning.
From Swarkestone you can go down the Trent, through Kings Mills and back along the Trent and Mersey canal to within a few 100m.
From Hayton in Notts you go along the Chesterfield canal to Retford, hop onto the River Idle and down to Chain Bridge Lane for a short shuttle.
There is another loop around Newark, up the Tent to Farndon weir and return via the back stream, no shuttle required.

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeah we did the lower T as a 2 day trip although we paddling most of the river on the first day. Found a nice place on a beach to camp and then paddled down to the bridge the next day. Good river! It would be nice to do the Verdon sometime.
Jim wrote: Funny but a lot of locals consider the lower T a 2-day trip, whilst the Verdon would be an ideal 2-day trip if you could ever get 2 release days in a row.

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 pm

If you're doing the Zanskar (i.e. just the gorge, neither of the tribs - Doda or Tsarap), the shuttle is a monster.
Despite google maps saying that it takes 9 hours, it's more like 18 hours of solid driving.
The river is certainly possibly in less time than that (though it's obviously nicer to take a bit longer over it!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Tartagine in Corsica is a pretty epic shuttle, river takes 2 hours and each way on the shuttle is pretty much the same too.

A group of Belgian students volunteered to take our van and trailer down for us as some of their group weren't paddling. We should've checked they knew how to drive with a trailer first...

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Agree with Jim on Arkaig. We refer to any river where the road heads off in a completely different direction to the river as having an Arkaig like shuttle. To the extent that someone once commented that 'this river has an Arkaig like shuttle ' only to be told that it would - because they were about to paddle a river called the Arkaig.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Upper Clearwater in BC is I think 240 miles for a 40 mile paddle (unless you carry on down the normal run passed the Kettle Rapid) I seem to remember we dumped one car at the take out then drove 60 miles downstream tot he bridge and then 180 miles round to the put in then repeated to collect the first car. Good run though.

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am

River Clywedog Bryntail
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... mentId=166
When its running.
7mins shuttle.
Hours of fun.

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 am

100 miles from Hereford to the Tryweryn, one run on the T and back again. (and I still had to walk back to the top of the T to get my car).
:(

conoroneill

Post by conoroneill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:40 am

Rdscott wrote:the gyr took us approximatly 14 mins, the shuttle was around 20 from start to finish back to start with the last paddler
We've had paddlers run the Onde in something like 11 minutes; definitely faster than the car.

[But we've also seen University clubs take hours on the same river]
Conor O'Neill

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Did the Dart Loop yesterday afternoon, 28 mins on the water, got out at Holne Bridge, picked up a lift 50yds down the road and was back at the top in less than 45mins.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”