Longest consistent section of hard whitewater in the UK?

Inland paddling
ion

Re: Longest consistent section of hard whitewater in the UK?

Post by ion »

Lancs_lad wrote:
Kate D wrote:I think the Sprint near Kendal might be a contender. From S bends to the bottom of Sprint mill is about 4.5km. I can't remember any flat bits.
Quite pool dropy really. The linking bits just about reach class 3 in big water. So not a contender. For a continuous run in the Lakes that is easy to access and runs quite often I would say troutbeck in high water, class 3/4 all the way (odd bit of class 2 but very little).
I'm not sure I buy that being pool drop disqualifies a section, that's just a function of geology. As long as there is consistent gradient and grade it should count. And I definitely don't buy G3 as "hard" in the context of this question!.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad »

ion wrote:
Lancs_lad wrote:
Kate D wrote:I think the Sprint near Kendal might be a contender. From S bends to the bottom of Sprint mill is about 4.5km. I can't remember any flat bits.
Quite pool dropy really. The linking bits just about reach class 3 in big water. So not a contender. For a continuous run in the Lakes that is easy to access and runs quite often I would say troutbeck in high water, class 3/4 all the way (odd bit of class 2 but very little).
I'm not sure I buy that being pool drop disqualifies a section, that's just a function of geology. As long as there is consistent gradient and grade it should count. And I definitely don't buy G3 as "hard" in the context of this question!.
I did say continuous not hard. The lake district is a class 3/4 area in general. The Troutbeck is more continuous than the Sprint, however, both are quality rivers at their grade. As mentioned the Upper Duddon does get continuous at high flows but in terms of Strava the truly hard bits (Wallabarrow gorge - grade 5 in flood) would be over in seconds rather than minutes.

I agree for the original question the section we are looking for should be grade 4/5 all the way and not have to be full on epic flood for this to happen.

So are we any closer to a answer?

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold »

My vote is for Mawddach.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

No one has mentioned the Tawe, although catching it at the right level to run all sections is a bit of a problem. The guidebook lists 6 kilometres of grade 5ish, 7km of grade 4ish & 10km of grade 3ish, although there is a far bit of flat in between the harder bits they disappear at high flows (one time we had head high standing waves all the way down to Pen y Cae falls).

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Erik Boomer when he was over was asked what he thought of the Fairy Glen his reply " It's a nice rapid". To go a bit off topic; if you put all the rapids on the Grand Canyon together (leaving out the riffles as and counting only rapids defined in the guides as I and above) they say it would take 25mins to run all the Grand Canyon white water!

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw »

25 mins of terrifying Stikine rapids... Hold onto your hats?

Another one for the Mawddach, anything above a 1.2 from the upper upper, down to the Wen confluence is around g3 and above with pretty much zero flat bits. If your going top speed, that takes at least an hour or more.

Great run...
Ieuan :)

Floater

Post by Floater »

The Findhorn in high water? The upper upper then upper followed by middle with the gorge to finish for the brave. I'd say that was pretty long and continuous in spate.

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn »

A vote for the East Lyn. Seven km of quality continuous WW, dropping 90 metres in the last 3km.
Pete Thorn

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The Kinglas from the upper, high water put-in to the sea is 10km of first class continuous whitewater, mostly G4 with a bit of G3 at start and end and a few harder bits, dropping 300m.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

pete thorn wrote:A vote for the East Lyn. Seven km of quality continuous WW, dropping 90 metres in the last 3km.
Yes, it really is continuous, at about 1.9 on the gauge and up, when the rapids merge together nicely. At such levels, you can do 10 km if you drive up to Malmsmead, or 14km if you include Oare Water, or even 16km if you walk in to Badgworthy Water...what an incredible trip!

However, the tribs are easier grade, and both have portages.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

tehchimp

Post by tehchimp »

Poke wrote:I’ve been using Strava on rivers for about a year, both for leisurely cruises and for straight-line blasts down rivers
You sound like a perfect tester for the Paddle Bubble Strava app ;)

http://www.paddlebubble.com/strava

Primitive, but allows you to link strava to the paddle log on paddle bubble to grab river levels and various other bits and bobs, I haven't got any data to really test with, so there may well be some hiccups importing data if you have quite a bit logged... if you're up for giving it a go please do and let me know of any problems you run in to by email (info@paddlebubble.com).

Strava: http://padl.es/strava
Paddle Log: http://padl.es/log

Cheers

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”