Drone Strike!!

Inland paddling
Lancs_lad

Drone Strike!!

Post by Lancs_lad » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Saw this one FB. Looks awesome. Hopefully the owner will come on here and explain his set up.

Also, is the bouncey stuff post edit to stop vibration or something?

Mark R

Re: Drone Strike!!

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Impressive!

I wonder how close you can buzz the paddler, before you slice bits of his paddle blade off?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

saturday seth

Post by saturday seth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:24 pm

This set up is a DJI Phantom quad copter (The little white leg in the corner of the frame is the give away, it is easily avoidable if you set your go pro to medium instead of wide/super wide) , and having been filmed by one I can tell you that with a competent/confident pilot it can get REALLY close. Close enough to touch with your paddle for sure. I think the copter wobbles a little on big turns, but it looks like this has been amplified in post, but I'm not sure 100%.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:34 am

saturday seth wrote:This set up is a DJI Phantom quad copter (The little white leg in the corner of the frame is the give away, it is easily avoidable if you set your go pro to medium instead of wide/super wide) , and having been filmed by one I can tell you that with a competent/confident pilot it can get REALLY close. Close enough to touch with your paddle for sure. I think the copter wobbles a little on big turns, but it looks like this has been amplified in post, but I'm not sure 100%.

How much?

Is the wobble the camera getting obstructed by something top and bottom?

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 am

These start at about £350, I think I'd be wanting the FPV setup for this sort of work (remote view) as it'd give you the option of dropping the quad out of view without risking an expensive tea bagging but that's another few hundred on the price.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 am

They've had to do a lot of correction for wobble on that video (and for some reason haven't ticked the box to zoom in so we get to see that funky moving box effect).

You can get a gyro mount for the GoPro to go on these copters that would compensate that to a large degree and negate most of the need for post production anti shake filters.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:17 am

First it was the stills camera, then the movie camera, then the digital camera, then the GoPro, then the Pole mounted camera, and now it's the drone's turn to increase faff on the river!

A friend of mine had his chopper out on the Thames this weekend.... expect more of these to be buzzing by on a river near you...

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 pm

I am so tempted as to be honest it's only the cost of another GoPro. However, most of the rivers I paddle are over grown and treey. Be good for places like Norway tho :-)

I have watched a video of it taking a beating in a tree on the return home function, it survived remarkably well.

soulboater

Post by soulboater » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi all, I am the guy who made this vid ,, it was after we paddled the tees on Sunday , the weather early morning stopped us trying the drone out , after a clear window weather wise we went back out to give it a blast , this is a dji phantom 1st generation with naza control built in and I attach a go pro 3+ for filming,, I have only been practising for a couple of weeks flying my new toy,, the shake you see is part editing fix on programme and also jello effect in flight , I have just purchased go pro anti jello mount for it to help take inflight shake out ,, this was purely a test flight edit I done for future stuff planned with it,, I flew it this day using only my judgement and limited flight practice ,, u can Aldo get glasses called fatshark which enables u to see what go pro is seeing, anyone shelling out for one of these, would recommend loads of open field practice first. ,, the naza I have built in links into gps picking out. 8 satellites which then if battery running low it will I turn fly it's self back to its orig take off point. , as long as u close enough for time. , battery life states. 15 mins flight time, I running them on 10 mins at min to be safe ,, lightweight , and can place I between my legs in boat for carrying,, and can say not to bad if u happen to crash Into water , as I did in practising. ,, let it dry out naturally for 5 days and away she went again , god as new , :-)

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm

soulboater wrote:Hi all, I am the guy who made this vid ,, it was after we paddled the tees on Sunday , the weather early morning stopped us trying the drone out , after a clear window weather wise we went back out to give it a blast , this is a dji phantom 1st generation with naza control built in and I attach a go pro 3+ for filming,, I have only been practising for a couple of weeks flying my new toy,, the shake you see is part editing fix on programme and also jello effect in flight , I have just purchased go pro anti jello mount for it to help take inflight shake out ,, this was purely a test flight edit I done for future stuff planned with it,, I flew it this day using only my judgement and limited flight practice ,, u can Aldo get glasses called fatshark which enables u to see what go pro is seeing, anyone shelling out for one of these, would recommend loads of open field practice first. ,, the naza I have built in links into gps picking out. 8 satellites which then if battery running low it will I turn fly it's self back to its orig take off point. , as long as u close enough for time. , battery life states. 15 mins flight time, I running them on 10 mins at min to be safe ,, lightweight , and can place I between my legs in boat for carrying,, and can say not to bad if u happen to crash Into water , as I did in practising. ,, let it dry out naturally for 5 days and away she went again , god as new , :-)
Heart in mouth moment when you crashed into water!?!??

soulboater

Post by soulboater » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:28 pm

Just a bit m8,, I was only practicing chasing river lines in local shallow becks to get used to the handling etc, all good practice, hopefully won't make mistake again :-)

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Couple more questions.

Where were you stood? (I know the section)

Does the "come home" function really work? i.e. pretty hard to lose?

Thanks

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Getting quite popular the old mini-choppers

...think I feel a mojito coming on.
dave

soulboater

Post by soulboater » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm

I was standing on the littlepublic path along side low force it's self, on right when going over falls , and yeah it does work, all be it though I am not chancing when around water etc, genes running flight time at only 10 mins to be sure it gets home

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:57 pm

soulboater wrote:I was standing on the littlepublic path along side low force it's self, on right when going over falls , and yeah it does work, all be it though I am not chancing when around water etc, genes running flight time at only 10 mins to be sure it gets home

It works off GPS for the return home function, if I read the description correct. Had any issues with it not getting a signal?

soulboater

Post by soulboater » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm

I got a signal there no prob. , it should generally always be good to connect , same as sat navs etc, after connecting the battery , it goes through a light sequence. , red to green , then when connected it flasshes constant green , then it's connected

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 am

Be wary of going FPV - 5.8mhz that Fatshark use will not penetrate the earth at all so you can't for example fly round a gorge corner and even dense trees etc will severely limit the signal. For boat chasing etc you are probably best off using a transmitter mounted screen to check the cameras view and flying Line of Sight only. Also flying FPV direct through a GoPro is next to impossible as there is a two - three second latency between what it sees and what it sends out.

Soul boater a couple of tips to help prevent wobble/ instability for filming, (apologies if you already know this) raise the exponential on your TX, this makes the sticks a little less sensitive around the centre and makes corrections a little smoother.

Set the phantom up so that even on 0% throttle the props are still turning slowly, use a TX switch to kill them completely. If the model sees 0 throttle even for a short while the Naza is incapable of correcting for prop induced turbulence during fast descents. Also reduce your maximum throttle to 95% on your TX, you will see no noticable difference in rate of climb but the Naza will have 5% throttle to use for corrections at full throttle.

Chris (with more multirotors and FPV toys than days on the river this year!)

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Another one, if anyone's interested...
This one seems to have some epic speed on it...
Very steady too!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Another one, if anyone's interested...
This one seems to have some epic speed on it...
Very steady too!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

soulboater

Post by soulboater » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:37 am

Well, I got the anti jello mount delivered yesterday , super east to build up and install, carbon mount for near enough £20 so not bad price also, hopefully get a chance to test this weekend to see if it takes some shake out also :-)

soulboater

Post by soulboater » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQHsujNm2As# hi all , I took the drone for a try on the swale, weather conditions not great so we only tested it for a short run on the last drop, some short footage of phantom in action half way through this little swale mash up vid

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”