CT charges

Inland paddling
Voodoo

CT charges

Post by Voodoo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 pm

I see the Canolfan Tryweryn has decided that it doesn't want to engage with me on their FB page, so they keep deleting my posts there , I notice they have 110 followers on there page, I also note 75 of them are mutual friends for mine, and as such I am still able to broadcast to almost 75% of their FB user base , how you like them apples CT ?

They have a silly hidden charge for wetsuits that they cant defend

They have a charge on wetsuits when going rafting I have never heard of any where that charges you for wetsuit use when you have paid for an activity,

Now when questioned re this they tried making out that it was for the benefit of 25% of there customers that brought there own wet suit, but that argument didn't work for me since its only benefit to them since the CT have the charge in the first place,

when asked if I didn't bring my own wet suit and didn't want to hire I was told that due to H&S I must wear one have one ergo 75% of people have an extra charge to fulfil the H&S regs that will allow them to take part in the activity that they all ready have paid for, they seem to have a Ryan Air type pricing policy

Now it doesn't effect me on any level but when I see stupidness I cant help but speak out and when someone starts to play silly buggers with trying to edit there FB page to keep them self's in a good light well that's just a red rag to a bull for me, if your going to use social media then you must take the good with the bad,

I urge other to question their policy on this matter, because they cant ban everyone from there FB page or they will be broadcasting to no one

hahah they now have me banned and accusing me of swearing on there page ??? do you see any swears in the above statement ?

That's some way of engaging with people on FB
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Garry

Re: CT charges

Post by Garry » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Being a pedant but "silly buggers " would do it on the swearing front.

furby

Post by furby » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 pm

I was told that due to H&S I must wear one
fulfil the H&S regs
Somewhat pedantic, but there are no regulations from the HSE that state this, Im sure they this requirement will come from CT's own risk assesment and policy. It is a bit disingenous to blame it on the 'spoil sport HSE' rather than simply stating that is their own policy (as they are completly entittled to do so if they like).

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Garry wrote:Being a pedant but "silly buggers " would do it on the swearing front.
As hard as it may be for any one that knows me but Not once Did I swear, that is just an out and out lie on there behalf
unless your meaning that a common phrase is being used to justify that I swore, in which case I shall just go up there and show them what swearing really is

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm

furby wrote:
fulfil the H&S regs
Somewhat pedantic, but there are no regulations from the HSE that state this, Im sure they this requirement will come from CT's own risk assesment and policy. It is a bit disingenous to blame it on the 'spoil sport HSE' rather than simply stating that is their own policy (as they are completly entittled to do so if they like).

I had made the argument that if I didn't turn up with me own wetsuit and choose not to hire, they said that I would have to to comply with "Our H&S " so no they where not hiding behind anyone else on that its perhaps the way I worded it here ,

I agree they have the right to do what ever they want I merely queried the strange practice that was hiring wetsuits when you have all ready paid to go on a rafting trip , and then to find that you have to have one means its an extra charge, that effect 75% of there customers,

As I said it doesn't effect me at all but they seem incapable of having a conversation about it they delete my posts while keeping there's up to maintain a "they are right fount" then to Ban me with a final post accusing me Of swearing ( jury still out on that) depends how anal you are over words I suppose ( see what I done there )

Rhod

Post by Rhod » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Looking at the prices on their website I don't understand in what way the charge is hidden?
http://www.ukrafting.co.uk/raft
Unconventional possibly, but not in anyway hidden.
Rhodri Anderson

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 pm

My initial query to them was one off the usual practice of charging for them,

They where unable to justify it, so took the stance of just deleting my awkward question, That's what has got my goat as I said it doesn't effect me in the slightest, and I really don't care if they are charging ones for the wetsuits or not,

But why stop at wetsuits do they charge for BAs if not why not ditto with helmets all three are required for H&S of the actively and as such you would expect to have it included with in a £66 fee without need to be adding extra charges or taking a stance of its making it cheaper by not building it into the price since there is nothing to build in, They have them all ready so use them,

I didn't even know it was £5 to hire that's even worse than I thought it was ( I was told it was £3) , at that price its not about covering wear and tear it becomes a nice money maker for them over the year when you think about how many times they are used, a weeks worth of uses would easily cover the cost of them after that its money in the bank, again its a case of if that's the way the do it fine but they where not able to justify why and didn't like the fact I was asking and there way of dealing with it is stupid, it went from me asking on a page of their 100 odd followers most if not all where paddlers so it wasn't even being picked up buy their Joe blogs client base that does rafting to it now being flamed over the internet where they have no control or say in the matter,

* Hidden fees, I think it was just me trying to convey a sentiment of how the fees where rather than make out they where phycaly hidden, but to be honest I didn't go looking for it was just a turn of phrase I used mid stride of making a point toward them that has been carried forward but also was never corrected by them that they where not hidden so I kept using it

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 am

It does sound a bit silly. Most companies would just build the cost and account for wear and tear On gear into the main price that you pay.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:07 am

Rhod wrote:Looking at the prices on their website I don't understand in what way the charge is hidden?
http://www.ukrafting.co.uk/raft
Unconventional possibly, but not in anyway hidden.
Agreed, this seems fair to me.

Smithy1

Post by Smithy1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 am

Myself and paddling friends go to CT a lot. I have always found the staff thoroughly nice and accommodating folk. The system does appear a little silly though. I think it would be better to have a total cost at point of booking as opposed to added charges which are in fact essential (to satisfy their own risk assessment policy). I would say this way of doing things might alienate some people and potentially prevent them from thinking about booking future activities, and that would be a shame.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 am

I dont see a problem with the charges, I took my non paddling son rafting last year and didnt need to hire any gear cos I already had it, now if it was included in the price should I not receive a cheaper rate for being self sufficient? The staff are really nice, the raft guides were great fun and also very helpful about other rivers to paddle. They have to store the kit, maintain the kit and size everyone out for what is a small charge totally justified IMO.
Mark

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48 am

Thing is Mark, if they had a single price and didn't do this would you have even have given it a second thought?

I'm not saying it's wrong to charge like this. Just odd. I don't know of any other provider that does this. It just complicates things, especially if you have a mixed group. It's just more faff to sort out who pays extra and who doesn't.

As a business it makes more sense to just have a flat rate charge. If you prefer to use your own kit then so be it, but their kit gets worn out regardless, and if there is a bit more in the kitty to cover such things then mores the better. The reality is that one or too people wanting occasionally wanting to wear their own kit some of the time isn't really going to make a huge difference to the wear out rate of the wetsuits over all. So the costs still need to be covered.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest the idea of paying the same as everyone else even though I'm using my own gear. It is only a small charge, but it adds faff and complication to the booking and paying. Simplification is the way to go.

eview

Post by eview » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 am

Voodoo, You must be very bored to take up this issue when, as you say "it doesn't effect me on any level", and I must be to reply, but I can't resist.
Why all the hate for CT? The charge is very much not hidden and not exactly extortionate, everyone who actually books to go rafting is told and, in booking, agrees to the extra for wetsuit hire, if they want to bring their own (and lots of people do) then that's a bonus for them. If they bring their own and it's not suitable to keep them safe then the lovely people at the centre will let them use one for free, wow! If they don't want to pay the extra then that's their choice as a consumer, they can go elsewhere.
I particularly enjoy your point about how much money they are making on wetsuit hire, as a business surely that's the point! It makes sense to make your customers happy, and by being transparent and giving them choice in whether to use their own wetsuit or hire one, along with the amazing service that you get from the centre, makes happy customers. The rafting company is not a charity, it's there to make money, so what's the problem.
Zambezi River Festival 2012 - 27th Oct-3rd Nov!

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 am

isn't it a bit like booking a session at "Go Ape" and then having to pay an extra fee to use a harness?

Why not just have a single, catch all price up front. Its surprising given the overall hostility for "hidden" fees (brought on by the airlines shifty ways) that they choose to do it like this.

For people like Mark who choose to use their own wetsuits, the main advantage must surely be knowing exactly who's pissed in it...

C

Edit - Typo
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm

This is far from odd or not normal, most companies hire out equipment, they are in business, as was pointed out people pee in wetsuits so if I go again I'd still wear my own gear. My son came up a 2nd time with us and brought his girlfriend, I didnt want the grief of extra gear so got him to hire it all, as it was they never charged him for wetsuits as didnt have the correct change.
Why is there a massive problem over a standard charge?
Mark

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Mark Dixon wrote:
Mark
I think it's the fact that it's not included in the price, given that it's a necessity, they include BA's or Helmets in the charge - so why is a wetsuit any different?

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Mark Dixon wrote:
Mark
I think it's the fact that it's not included in the price, given that it's a necessity, they include BA's or Helmets in the charge - so why is a wetsuit any different?

C
Staff don't have to turn helmets the right way out after someone has urinated in them?

Presumably all started some time in the past when people started turning up with their own wetsuits and demanding a discount because they weren't using the centre's kit?

Tea Boy Tom

Post by Tea Boy Tom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:08 am

Voodoo wrote: how you like them apples CT ?
Nice Kojak reference...

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 pm

furby wrote:
fulfil the H&S regs
Even more pedantic but the first bit just refers to H&S. HSE are not mentioned or blamed as far as I can see.

AHPP

Post by AHPP » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 am

Tea Boy Tom wrote:
Voodoo wrote: how you like them apples CT ?
Nice Kojak reference...
Or Good Will Hunting.

How do I embed btw?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”