Mild Carnage what went well what went wrong? Troll time!

Inland paddling
Michael Hatton

Mild Carnage what went well what went wrong? Troll time!

Post by Michael Hatton »

Trwch fun!

Everyone involved has a sense of humour!
Something useful might come out, Discuss.......

Mark R

Re: Mild Carnage what went well what went wrong? Troll time!

Post by Mark R »

All looks great, to be honest.

Is this the Bala Twrch? Pretty sure it's not the Twrch I've done in South Wales...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

OK, here's something that 'went' wrong...
When you are leading, look behind you more.
[and by the way if you are second last, look behind you shit-loads]
So, maybe I am over sensitive to this as I have a fear of being left behind - [God I hate going last], but the whole dynamic between leader and second is really important and takes work and understanding.

Hey, you were trolling...
dave

roo

Post by roo »

Yum, yum. Bala Twrch? Where's the juicy take- out rapid?

I saw an over-reaction when Captain Kayak suddenly felt he wasn't Captain Kayak anymore, and like Dave says, "It's good to talk" :-)

Only other issue for me is you made it look like a tree-infested ditch......

roo

Post by roo »

On another totally un-related note. Ever biked with 69cycles Michael? Or have I got the wrong geezer?

banzer

Post by banzer »

DaveBland wrote:God I hate going last
Here here!

Memories of getting beaten up in the Crack of Dawn (er, the first one) at a low level, doing a few rinse cycles with my paddle whacking me in the face, and everyone else in the pool below.... oh Rich is 'local' he won't need any safety! Ha ha!

First time over the main drop on the Kaituna is another good one. Just you, an inescapable gorge and a horizon line!
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold »

That is the Bala Twrch Mark. What exactly are we looking for? Is it you left the rest of the group behind?

NevillefromCarnforth

Post by NevillefromCarnforth »

It's easy to say what went wrong or who did/didn't do what. All it takes is for either yourself or someone else to let your concentration go for a split second to start a chain reaction of events which can escalate. We've all done it and will continue to do it as we're all human so maybe it's a bit unfair (especilay if you were'nt involved) to cast blame. Anyway! that's my tuppence worth in. Happy paddling in 2014

bib_bob_euroslap

Post by bib_bob_euroslap »

As a group you don't seem very organised, perhaps you've not paddled together much and haven't built up an understanding of how each person works within the team?
Just being more organised and running the river as a team would be my only suggestion.
For example, The first rapid on the vid you get in to a good position above the rapid and can clearly see down it, but you've lost line of sight of the other 2 paddlers. How were they to know the river was clear or what the line was if you couldn't see them/they couldn't see you? They could have broken out in to the other eddy you found on river right and communication would have then been easy. So perhaps they need to be paying more attention (there's a blind bend ahead, lets find an eddy etc.) or you need to signal more clearly to them where you want them to go.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

DaveBland wrote:So, maybe I am over sensitive to this as I have a fear of being left behind - [God I hate going last]
I used to be like that, but after an age of always ending up being the back-marker*, I now wouldn't have it any other way and really like being at the back... It's very much a fear you can train yourself out of.

* I think this is because I spent a long time having issues breaking out of a crowded eddy on most things where I might actually need to pay attention or paddle. Indeed my diminished sense of abject terror being at the back might have as much to do with being more competent in my chosen (and admittedly esoteric) craft... There again I did once get left behind, whilst getting an extended and unpleasant beat-down on the Clough, which may just have scared the fear out of me.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Jim

Post by Jim »

What carnage?

I get the impression the paddler with the camera who started at the front didn't intend to be overtaken - in that case he could have cleared the eddy so the next guy could use it, but to be honest the dynamic change of roles looked pretty normal to me and I don;t see his getting overtaken as anything to really comment on, except that the captions make me suspect it is something you are concerned about?

As for the spreading out towards the end, that happens sometimes. I notice there was some kind of brown claw gesture thrown in at some point - shame the others were too far behind to see that. Didn't seem to be all that many good places to stop and wait for the others, sometimes you have to go into survival mode until you can find a suitable breakout and then run back up to see if your mates need help. I am thinking about my only previous run down the Coupall where having seen a mate getting worked and managing to miss him it took me a good 300m of frantic rock dodging to find an eddy. There is talk of heading there tomorrow, when I saw it this afternoon it looked at least as high and it has been raining torrentially since then... should be an interesting trip if we stick to plan A.... :-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”