APWE?

Inland paddling
Jim

APWE?

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:37 am

Just received some bad news, looks like I may have to be in Devon in the first week of December.

If I am, and if I need to stay the weekend, what is the deal with the APWE?
The Gene 17 website and facebook pages don't reveal very much at all, seems like you need to be in the know already?

I am not intending to stay the weekend, I have a national race event in Scotland which I can't really afford to miss but if I do have to, how would I go about joining in?

Green.media

Re: APWE?

Post by Green.media » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm

boating wise just rock up and paddle (if there is water) :) if your trying to get into RDCP in the evening for the bash im not sure what the case is if you need tickets ect :/

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm

No tickets - Simon will twist your arm to buy a raffle ticket. Normally its just rock up and paddle - catch-up with mates. The old school paddle looks class this year. They sell good beer at the bar. If you drink enough its guaranteed to rain.
White water "rider"

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm

All the news and updates are on the Facebook event page for the Gene17 Adventure Paddler's Weekend 6/8 December 2013 at the River Dart Country Park. This year we have the talks and films spilt between the Ballroom in the main house and the Sawmill Cafe/Bar, and Ies Fokiwa to light the party up. The event is completely free on the door, however we settle draw tickets to fund the event, contributors expenses, PA rental, Band hire, etc, and this year we'll have a brand new boat at top prize. So a £5 flutter is not much for what you get.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Jim, give me a shout if your around as will be around too if your looking for someone to paddle with.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:52 pm

That's cool, with most other events needing at least booking to control numbers or some kind of payment to cover running costs I just needed to see something that says you just need to turn up and join in if you want to - you don't actually say that anywhere on Facebook or the website....

Now to work out how long I am going to need to be in the area for and whether I will be flying or driving..... I'm still hoping to be home before the weekend, but if I fly down without kit on that basis and have to stay longer I will probably explode!

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Jim wrote:That's cool, with most other events needing at least booking to control numbers or some kind of payment to cover running costs I just needed to see something that says you just need to turn up and join in if you want to - you don't actually say that anywhere on Facebook or the website....
If you are looking for rent-a-friend, Chas is already in the offing. Also post the the FB event page. It's a pretty informal event. Show up, meet your mates, find some new ones if needed and go paddle. In the evening Gene17 will host the entertainment. This year we have the Old School Parade at Triple Drop on Saturday after, details about that coming soon.....
Last edited by Simon Westgarth on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 pm

He he - most places I go paddling I bump into someone I know, I have met Chas before although I don't think we paddled that time. I'm fairly sure if Chas is around there will be others I know with him too :-)

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm planning on ending my 'three years without paddling a ww river' self imposed fast that weekend and putting in an appearance too so it's guaranteed not to rain :-)
Giles

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:02 am

Superb, look forward to catching up Chas, Randy & Simon! + all others coming, missed last year.

Jim, I'm heading down, could take some kit. Chat over weekend?
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 pm

neil.farmer wrote:Jim, I'm heading down, could take some kit. Chat over weekend?
Will do!
Didn't realise you still went down for these.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Jim - RDCP bunk beds are fully booked, we have booked two of the posher rooms for Saturday night and have a spare bed if your interested then let me know.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Guys, I was just getting the low down just in case, it looks like I will only need a couple of short visits so not likely to be around for the weekend. That might change in the next week or 2 but it seems I wrote the plan a few months ago (and then forgot all about it) based on doing most of the work from the office, which sort of suits me, apart from the flying.

Richard_H

Post by Richard_H » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:22 am

I have a twin room in the posh bit of the Country Park on the Saturday 7th going spare due to a cancellation.

£90 B&B (what it cost me).

PM for details.

Many thanks

Richard

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”