Nepal

Inland paddling
Blademan

Nepal

Post by Blademan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 am

Hi all going to Nepal in April of 3 week's just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips Do's and don'ts .travel agents- airline's and so on we are renting boats over there and taking paddle's with us. Thanks Darren

purelandexpeditions.com

Re: Nepal

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 am

White Water Nepal Guidebook would be a good start.

You can also ask as many questions as you like.

Daz
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

geomore

Post by geomore » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Just got back from second trip to Nepal, Dreaming of a thrid! No idea of water levels that time of year so can't advise on what rivers will be good.

If you don't like queueing for THREE HOURS in Kathmandu airport, consider getting visas beforehand!
We flew with Jet as it was the cheapest on lastminute/kayak/etc, they change via Delhi or Mumbai. They were fine with paddles, but we hired boats. If you have a long stopover like we did pack your sleeping mat and sleeping bag liner in your hand luggage. One guy flew with Qatar with a boat - no problems I understand.

Money - Bring UK notes, no need for USD unless you already have it and you cannot get currency outside nepal. No point in converting cash unnecessarily beforehand. In Thamel (Kathmandu) there are excellent money changers everywhere, and cash points as well (but your bank will likely charge you).

Idea - pack light and buy all your clothing in Kathmandu! some incredible bargains to be had - why not have your own custom t-shirt design embroidered.

Have fun!

George

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:50 pm

My tips from the last couple of weeks.

Don't plan a trip to Nepal during a nationwide strike and general election when all the roads are closed and the buses aren't running. Definitely don't book your flight home for the day of the election.
It might also not be a good idea to go and do the Thuli Bheri in 3 days with less than a day to spare to get back for your flight, but do do this anyway if you get the chance, being Nepal it will probably still be fine.
Ignore anyone who says 'not possible' when trying to organise transport, just ask someone else.
Don't ever expect anything to go to plan or happen on time, but one way or another, you will get there and it will be worth it!

Jet took my boat fine.
The whole upper Marsyandi valley is a building site, go do it quick.
Dollars maybe are still a good idea for emergency money if you're going somewhere a bit more remote rather than carrying a massive pile of 1000 rupee notes. Definitely spend easier than pounds.

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:57 pm

My top tip for Nepal would be to get one of those bottles that filter water as you drink it, then you'll never get caught short of a drink.

geomore

Post by geomore » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Rory - So you made your flight back okay? I didn't realise you were flying back on Tuesday - that must have been exciting! Despite all the mad panic about the strikes it didn't really affect our plans - as you say, anything is possible!

You obviously have more experience on the curerncy topic - and I also forgot you need your visa fee in USD if you get it at the airport. hope the Thuli Beri was as awesome as adverstised - The Tamur trip was incredible! Shame we didn't get to do a marsyangdi run in the end.

George

nicholls2k

Post by nicholls2k » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:15 pm

My bank (Natwest) decided to cancel my (visa) debit card as soon as I put it somewhere near a cash machine. Something to do with attempted fraud...

Probably worth taking a few cards / friends out with you just in case ;)

monkey man

Post by monkey man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 am

I couldn't recommend Pure Land Expeditions enough. I went on one of their October Sun Kosi trips, and it exceeded my expectations. Whether you need guiding, hiring kit, accommodation, or inspiration, this is your one stop shop.
Daz knows the area like the back of his hand, after all he helped write the guide book for paddling in Nepal, completed many many first descents, and has many a story to share over a fire in the evenings.
For more info check out http://www.purelandexpeditions.com/

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:49 am

nicholls2k wrote:My bank (Natwest) decided to cancel my (visa) debit card as soon as I put it somewhere near a cash machine. Something to do with attempted fraud...

If you notify your bank before you go then this won't happen. It happened to me once and took a lengthy, expensive phone call to sort out.
As for Nepal. If you've never been before then as Daz says White water Nepal is invaluable and it would probably be worth using a raft, kayak company until you find your feet.
April is a lovely time in Nepal. Usually hot and dry. Water levels aren't as high as post monsoon but still plenty to go at.
Airlines, Jet, air India and Quatar all take boats hassle free as long as you don't exceed your luggage allowance. The biggest hassle is getting them back home again so seriously think about selling them out there. Most raft companies will buy them from you for a reasonable fee but don't expect UK prices. Personally I think it's worth taking a bit less to save your self the hassle of trying to get a boat back through Kathmandu Airport. If you do decide to bring your boats back have plenty of US dollars on you for tips (bribes).
Above all else. have fun. Nepal is a fantastic country.

bob ashcroft

Post by bob ashcroft » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 am

Don't drink the tap water, even if you are really hung over!
Jet airways are quite cheap and will take boats and paddles for free usually.
Spend as little time in Kathmandu as possible, its fairly grim compare to the rest of Nepal.
Paddle the Upper Marsyandi and upper bhote kosi, thery are both awesome

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:35 am

TwoHats wrote:
nicholls2k wrote:My bank (Natwest) decided to cancel my (visa) debit card as soon as I put it somewhere near a cash machine. Something to do with attempted fraud...

If you notify your bank before you go then this won't happen.

Don't rely on this. I always tell all my banks when I go away as does my husband. In Mexico we were stuck as all our debit cards were stopped due to a dodgy cash point (2 banks!) and my husband has had his card stopped in Canada. Just remember that if it does happen not to make expensive phone calls - use Skype!

As for Nepal, we went with Daz and had a great time, and enjoy the food - yum!

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 am

If you do the Humla, wave at people who shout at you, or they start throwing rocks!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”